Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Should I put out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release?
Should I put out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Should I put out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release?

ovvldc wrote:
pluby wrote:
Since we are now at "Patch 6" for NeoOffice 1.2 and the patch has a lot of fixes and performance improvements, I am thinking of pushing out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release. This release would merely combine NeoOffice 1.2 plus "Patch 6".

I think this is a good idea. It will likely save on first-timers coming here for basic advice.

From a technical point of view it makes little difference, but it looks so much better to have a state of the art release available that works out of the box.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Ditto to this, and all the above comments. Go for it.

Peter
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject:

Patrick, already in process of 1.2.1? Perhaps you could have a look onto http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1368 before bringing it out?
T.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

Bug 1368 is not a showstopper. Showstopper bugs are bugs that cause crashing or file corruption whereas 1368 is merely an annoyance bug.

I use this standard because it costs me between one and two full days of work to spin a new release (which I just finished yesterday). Since bug 1368 is not new (the bug has existed since NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha was released 4 months ago), spending another one or two full days is not IMO justified.

Patrick
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

Patrick: Thank you for clarifying. I just thought it was better to ask than to have not asked. I hope it didn't produce more work than necessary. Will know better next time (I hope;))
T.
EDIT: Btw, I did not find a similar bug with a query in bugzilla - what should I have done to find it?
AND: Patrick, you really do a great job - looking forward to what is to come
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
EDIT: Btw, I did not find a similar bug with a query in bugzilla - what should I have done to find it?

I think that you are missing my point. My point was that not all bugs are equal. While bug 1368 is very annoying to the user that reported it, the fact that no one else reported it in the 4 months that NeoOffice 1.2 has been available tends to demonstrate that this bug only affects a very small number of users and the bug can be worked around by turning of animation (which, IMHO, is not a critical feature).

In general, since development time is extremely limited, I tend to worry about bugs that cause crashing or data loss first. Then, if I have time after that, I worry about bugs that a large percentage of users will experience (e.g. the slow menus).

Patrick
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Orgleser wrote:

I only asked for this to improve my abilities with bugzilla. I am trying to learn working with it, to help a little there. And I thought I perhaps missed a duplicate. That was the reason to ask this question.

Quote:
I think that you are missing my point. My point was that not all bugs are equal. While bug 1368 is very annoying to the user that reported it, the fact that no one else reported it in the 4 months that NeoOffice 1.2 has been available tends to demonstrate that this bug only affects a very small number of users and the bug can be worked around by turning of animation (which, IMHO, is not a critical feature).

Yes I think I understood this. And it was not the reason for my question.

Quote:
In general, since development time is extremely limited, I tend to worry about bugs that cause crashing or data loss first. Then, if I have time after that, I worry about bugs that a large percentage of users will experience (e.g. the slow menus).

Patrick

I understand and agree fully with this. My goal was to improve my own abilities to help a little (without making things worse instead of easier).
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject:

A basic tenet of bug reporting that I've found, both for open source and for commercial development, is to just accept that duplicate reporting is commonplace. Many times multiple people will find the same thing and, a lot of the time, testers won't be able to discern that two somewhat differnet things are really the same underlying issue.

Sometimes it's easier for a developer or experienced bug reviewer to just note the duplicate than the much time it takes to grok other reports to find them out. Duplicate filings don't really become an issue unless it's the same person reporting the same thing multiple times with useless extra information (e.g. like "I can't undo my typing for the 'a', 'b', 'c', d',"..., etc... keys...) or if hundreds of people report the same thing all at once (not yet a problem).

Instead of finding duplicates, as a reporter/tester, it's best to just file everything you find and then help sort through everything later on Smile My 2 cents.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2