Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Help - I cannot figure out how to install OOo_2.0.0_MacosxPP
Help - I cannot figure out how to install OOo_2.0.0_MacosxPP

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdswan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Help - I cannot figure out how to install OOo_2.0.0_MacosxPP

I downloaded it OK, all 124 MB... I double click it, and it creates a drive on my desktop, then opens up a window with the LOGO. I have tried double clicking the logo, nothing works. I dragged the logo into the applications folder, and it works away at what looks like extracting files, and seems ok. I then try to run the application, and it does nothing.

I'm doing SOMETHING wrong. I'm new to MAC, but have been around PC's for 15 years. I just cannot figure this one out. I run MAC OS X, and have the new imac machine with dual intel processors.....

Help,

JDSWAN
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: X11??

Hi and Welcome. This sounds like a common problem struck by new users of OpenOffice.org for the mac. You are aware that this program runs in the X11 environment? You need to have X11 installed for this to happen [it's not part of the standard X11 installation, but it's usually on the install discs]. Have you done that? If so, your mac should boot into X11, which will run concurrently with OS X, and the OpenOffice.org will run in X11.

For that reason, many mac folk never bother, and use NeoOffice instead - it's a port to OS X native, and looks and runs like other native OS X programs.

The big advantage of OpenOffice.org for Mac [X11] over NeoOffice is that it tends to run a release or two ahead, so OpenOffice.org for mac [X11] is at 2.0 at the moment, and NeoOffice is at 1.2, with 2.0 maybe six months off, for a stable version. Anyone else please correct me if this is wrong.

Peter
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject:

Just for the record: And NeoOffice 1.2 is based on OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 and a big recommendation for all not-so-X11-experienced users.
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:

Oh, and (sorry), this Wiki-page should help with the OO.o 2.0 installation problems:
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/FAQ_for_OO.oX11_2.0RC3
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: What I should have said

doctype wrote:
Oh, and (sorry), this Wiki-page should help with the OO.o 2.0 installation problems:
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/FAQ_for_OO.oX11_2.0RC3

Thanks doctype. I must remember to refer people to the wikis Smile They provide answers to most of these questions.
imacminx
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Over my head!

I have just got an Intel iMac, lovely beast it is...but oh dear no office software, so I toddled off to download Openoffice. It downloaded, it sits on my desktop...and I do what with it now!
I have absolutely no idea...it would be so easy to give up and go back to my PC...but this girl likes a challenge...any help would be gratefully received!!

Embarassed

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Jealous of your new mac

Hi

Glad you have a new Intel mac. Did you download the version of OpenOffice.org for Intel Macs?

Have you read the items referred to in the posts above? Your answer is probably there.

P
imacminx
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

I downloaded X11, but it won't install as it says there's newer software on my imac, i'm just so confused....seems to have been a permanent state since it arrived on tuesday....

have just dragged anything to so with openoffice into the trash, will have to try again....

Crying or Very sad

Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

You don't download X11.

It is on your 10.3 or 10.4 system install disks as an optional package.
imacminx
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

thanks, but thats not really a lot of help! if i KNEW what I was doing I wouldn't be looking for help!!
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

imacminx, MacRat is being helpful, just perhaps a bit brief.

The version of X11 that you can download from Apple is for OS X 10.2.x and 10.3.x ONLY. Since you have a new Mac you have OS X 10.4.x, so this download is not for you.

X11 is included on the system install discs, that came with your Mac, as an optional package, ie its not installed by default, but you can install it yourself. I'm not sure where it is on the install disc as I don't have OS 10.4.x, however it shouldn't be too hard to find.

When you do find it (it'll look like a carboard box and have something like "Install X11" as its name) double click on it and follow the instructions.

Now you need the Intel version of OpenOffice 2.0.2 (see above for the link and elsewhere on this forum for help installing it).

If all that goes smoothly then you should have a rather nice Office suite on your rather nice new Mac.

Cheers,

Andy.
Eric Bachard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice.org on Mac Intel

ericb->imacminx

If you want help for Mac Intel version, please subscribe on OpenOffice.org Mac OS X project mailing list, or at least read the archive, and you'll find all the answers to your questions : mac@porting mailing list archive

--
Eric Bachard
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

eric, what was wrong with the help she was getting here?

imacminx, on your tiger DVD (Which came with your computer) is the install files for Apple's X11 program. It will install in your Applications/Utilities folder.

when you double click the OO.o icon, it will start up, then start up X11 for you. (You will see something called an XTerm, which looks like a DOS prompt from Windows, you can close/ignore this)

it will take a few seconds for it to be up and running, but poof! a brand new writer screen.

if you want to use something other than writer, like calc or draw, simply click on the 'new' icon and select what type of file you want.

and we are always ready to help, so ask if there are more questions.

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

oh, and i would not recommend using the email list for support. while the developement and technical conversation is abundant, support questions tend to get ignored.

-j
imacminx
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

sorry if i seemed a bit waspish, this is my first mac, i've been a pc user for 10+ years and its difficult to make the switch just like that....unfortunately!
i found the X11 package on my dvd, installed it, it says its installed, but i can't find it in applications or utilities! as for open office...i guess i've downloaded the wrong one...but they don't exactly label as intel friendly...lol!! maybe its just me, being incredibly brainless!

i do appreciate help, it just doesn't seem to be sinking in!!

cheers all

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2