· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Bit Torrent
Bit Torrent

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Mirrors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Bit Torrent

Would anyone strenuously object to a Bit Torrent P2P "mirror"?

I offer to create the .torrent files, but I cannot leave up a server due to my firewall/router configuration. If I send the files, is there anyone willing to run the primary torrent server?

We should be able to drastically increase the download and propagation speeds this way.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject:

That would rock Smile I was always intending to set up a torrent server, but have never had the time. I can probably find a machine (alebit slow bandwidth) to leave connected as an initial client b4 things propogate.

ed
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject:

Groovy. I'll go over the docs and figure out how to create torrent files (Very Happy) while I d/l Neo/J (and src). I'll try to get those done tomorrow AM since I am currently between jobs and then get Neo and do torrent files for bin and src. I'm content to leave the X11 stuff to the OpenOffice.org official mirror lists.

EDIT:
Okay. Looks like http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/51.html has all the data we're gonna want on the set-up of this thing. I'll need a tracker URL when I make the files, unless you want to make them. Since set up is not complete yet, it's probably best to PM or e-mail me the URLs you want to use and then make a public announcement once the files and tracker are in place.

Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Okay. Torrent files created. Now comes the question: Should I upload them here, to bytemonsoon.com (the tracker pointed to during generation), both?

If a recent torrent download left running overnight is any indication, I can be found even behind my firewall/NAT-router (send 27MB without knowing, but no NeoOffice). So I can be the initial seeder. It would be good to have the community server act as primary seed, though. I didn't see it when I installed the Mac client, but the python (Linux/UNIX/whatever) command line tools allow for bandwidth and connection throttling.

Anyway, lemme know if I have a go-ahead to upload the .torrent files to bytemonsoon.com or if you'd rather host them here.

schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject:

What happened to this project? May be it should be filled with new life for NeoOffice/J.

BTW: there's a project at OpenOffice.org about distributing via BitTorrent: http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/bittorrent/ .

Thomas
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject:

what happened is that I cannot seed due to a firewall failure and having to resort to an older firewall until SMC gets me a new on that I can punch holes into.

I will re-seed when my firewall problems are solved.

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Hi,
schlesi wrote:
BTW: there's a project at OpenOffice.org about distributing via BitTorrent: http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/bittorrent/ .
I send Mike (maintains the tracker) a mail, asking him to add out the files.

by, Martin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Martin wrote:
I send Mike (maintains the tracker) a mail, asking him to add out the files.
Here is his answer:
Maik wrote:
no problem at all, please feel free to use my tracker. I would appreciate it, if you could keep me informed of all torrents using my tracker though.

if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Smile

regards,

Mike
His mail is mike AT borft.student.utwente.nl

by, Martin
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:

I also host a tracker within neooffice.org for the main torrents that we list. We don't have torrents for the patches, but there should be torrents for the main beta dmg.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I also host a tracker within neooffice.org for the main torrents that we list. We don't have torrents for the patches, but there should be torrents for the main beta dmg.

ed

Just an update to this thread, Ed has added .torrents for all downloadable files on neooffice.org for NeoOffice/J. I would like to extend 'thanks' to Ed for doing this (with a little prodding from me as I created a .torrent for the 1a patch for the RC.) I'm hoping that the Torrent will help greatly for any further RC's and the Final.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:

NP, it took less time then washing my car. On a more serious note, what I can do off of trinity is provide hosting for the .torrent files and the tracker. Unfortunately, I don't have the bandwidth available to do reliable binary hosting...people start complaining trinity is slow when I host binaries Wink

I figure we can keep up with using trinity to host the tracker and the base torrent files for patches and major releases as long as we can rely on a couple of folks to provide seed downloads. Thoughts?

Doing the maintenance of providing the tracker and torrent file hosting is not a problem...only seeding is since my bandwidth is mostly sucked up by trinity + cvs and can't deal with being a perpetual BT seeder Wink

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
NP, it took less time then washing my car. On a more serious note, what I can do off of trinity is provide hosting for the .torrent files and the tracker. Unfortunately, I don't have the bandwidth available to do reliable binary hosting...people start complaining trinity is slow when I host binaries Wink

I figure we can keep up with using trinity to host the tracker and the base torrent files for patches and major releases as long as we can rely on a couple of folks to provide seed downloads. Thoughts?

Doing the maintenance of providing the tracker and torrent file hosting is not a problem...only seeding is since my bandwidth is mostly sucked up by trinity + cvs and can't deal with being a perpetual BT seeder Wink

ed

Ed:

That sounds great. I think someone offered to provide tp host both the tracker and file for the torrent. I agree that we (those who use NeoOffice/J) need a primary seeder with a high speed connection that will not 'clog' when seeding ten to fifteen peers when a new version or patch is released. Once the torrent is up for about one to two days, there should be enough folks that are seeding that the speed of the tracker connection should not matter. I would suggest sending the full file to this prime seeder before announcing the release of a beta/release canidate/final release. This will allow 'priming' of the torrent and setup of the torrent file. The tracker should still exist on Trinity, unless this overwhelms the server. Also, the file should be sent to known good mirrors before release to the public to allow the mirrors to setup and advise whether or not they can provide this service at the time of the file's release.
There should be other opinions and I would appreciate if they spoke up.

James
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject:

Since I initially started this thread (geez... over a year ago???) I figure I had better pipe in here. I still have not been able to successfully punch a hole in my firewall. Openning the bit torrent ports and/or forwarding them to a seed machine inside the firewall both fail.

I have an SMC 7004ABR router/firewall home gateway on my business-access (full-duplex at 1.5MB down AND up) cablemodem. The linux box that I had originally planned to seed from (and still plan to) does not have the firewall compiled into the kernel, nor additional firewall software installed, ruling it out as the culprit. Azureus has proven itself to be a robust torrent client on my iBook from connections away from my home, ruling the client out as culprit, unless Azureus is less stable under linux than MacOS X (which I doubt since it's pure java/python, it should actually run better, linux having better python support).

If anyone would like to donate a different gateway device for me to experiment with, I'm still willing to serve as primary seeder, though I'm moving in two weeks and will downgrade my cablemodem package to a home service (1.5MB down, 512kB up).

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:

Paraplegic_Racehorse wrote:
Since I initially started this thread (geez... over a year ago???) I figure I had better pipe in here. I still have not been able to successfully punch a hole in my firewall. Openning the bit torrent ports and/or forwarding them to a seed machine inside the firewall both fail.

Interesting. This should definately work for your network. Are you using Network Address Translation (NAT)? If you are, you may need to set up Azureus to 'think' that the firewall is actually the system you are trying to connect to. Since I don't use a firewall device with NAT, I don't know how to do this, but I suggest looking at both the FAQ and the Azureus Wiki.

Paraplegic_Racehorse wrote:

If anyone would like to donate a different gateway device for me to experiment with, I'm still willing to serve as primary seeder, though I'm moving in two weeks and will downgrade my cablemodem package to a home service (1.5MB down, 512kB up).

I think adding a second primary seeder goes against the spirit of the torrent. The kind folks who make Azureus have donated system resources and bandwidth (they have a 30MB connection) to the NeoOffice/J effort and will be hosting both the tracker and the torrent. There is a different thread on this under Fuzked Servers (I think.) However, your connection is still needed to help with the torrent once a file is put on it as you can feed many folks (think one connection/peer per two to three KB of available bandwidth.)

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Mirrors All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1