· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - MAcINTEL Openoffice install - please Help
MAcINTEL Openoffice install - please Help

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: MAcINTEL Openoffice install - please Help

I'm italian, please help me understand how can I install openoffice on my macintel macbookpro?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: MAcINTEL Openoffice install - please Help

stanga wrote:
I'm italian, please help me understand how can I install openoffice on my macintel macbookpro?

Is being Italian connected to the problem here? I thought it was fairly language agnostic. Just install X11 and drag and drop the program to the applications folder. If I read the porting list correctly.

I do not have macbookpro myself, but you might want to include what you've already tried and did not work. Anyone who tries to help you has very little to go on with this information..

best wishes,
Oscar

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

you will need to get the intel file, not the PPC one. the intel versions can be found here:

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX

i recommend using RC4.

X11 is found on your Tiger DVD.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
you will need to get the intel file, not the PPC one. the intel versions can be found here:

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX

i recommend using RC4.

X11 is found on your Tiger DVD.

Thanks for this quick response, Jake but there is a nasty 'bug' in the 2.0.2 rc 4 code that has IssueZilla 63030 assigned to it. That is the 'empty' directories, that those needed by OpenOffice.org but eithere are not packaged nor created at installation time, are not there when you go to use the Wizards functionality, like creating a form Letter, Fax header sheet, an Agenda, or a Spreadsheet template. There are other items that use this directory structure.
Good news is that there is a patch, which I just did a rc4 build for, that fixes this problem.
So, what should this individual do: I say download and install 2.0.2rc4. If you don't plan on using the Wizards, you don't have to do anything for now. If you do, go to the following directory in your User directory (this is accessable by clicking on the Hard Drive icon in the top right hand corner (this may be the top left hand corner for right to left languages), and then clicking on your user name, then Library, Application Support, OpenOffice.org 2.0, user in that order of folders. Then cntrl + Click (or if you have a two button mouse, right click) then new folder. Name this folder template.
Once the entire patch is created, then this will fix the missing directories problem, a new rc release will be published and tested.

James
Lead, OpenOffice 2.0.2rc4 MacOSX PPC test
crosbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: How do you install X11 without the MacOS X DVD?

When I installed the in OOo_2.0.2rc4.20060311_MacOSXIntel_en-US.dmg to the mac and double clicked on the icon in the applications folders nothing happens - the disk whirrrs a bit a then nothing - I don't get a splash screen.

I installed the application by double clicking on the dmg and dragged the OpenOffice.org 2.0 icon to the applications folder. I assumed that because it didn't start - it was missing X11. Well that's the theory!

I bought the intel based mac and have the Tiger version of MacOS X. I looked under Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities and didn't find X11 was installed. From what I read that is where it should be - maybe not? I didn't get an installation DVD with the operating system on it. (Mostly likely a user error on my part for not asking for one!) Is it possible to install X11 some other way?

Being a not so smart mac guy, I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. Many thanks! Smile
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you install X11 without the MacOS X DVD?

crosbo wrote:
I looked under Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities and didn't find X11 was installed. From what I read that is where it should be - maybe not?

You're right, there it should linger, along with other, hidden parts at other places.

Quote:
I didn't get an installation DVD with the operating system on it.

That's bad - there definitely should be one. It's the only possibility, as far as I know. Apple states on their website:
"Note 10.4 customers can install X11 by using the Tiger DVD installer disk."
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html
!! The version for download there you can't use! (just in case you have the idea)

It's one of the "optional" installs ... at least on PowerPC. You can't go back to the shop (or call them)?
crosbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: How do you install X11 without the MacOS X DVD?

[quote="doctype"]
crosbo wrote:
I looked under Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities and didn't find X11 was installed. From what I read that is where it should be - maybe not?

Quote:
It's one of the "optional" installs ... at least on PowerPC. You can't go back to the shop (or call them)?

Thanks for your suggestions! I ran off to my local apple store - they were very happy to help and found my MacOS X install DVD. Love those apple folks! Once X11 was installed (which was even easy for a guy like me!) OpenOffice started without any problems. Very Happy

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated!!!
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:

Glad I could help a bit. Have fun with your Mac!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1