NeoOffice :: View topic - Copy and paste patch available
Copy and paste patch available

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject:

To add to what Patrick has just said, don't browsers typically display text at 96dpi these days, and I assume OOo/NOJ displays at 72dpi - wouldn't that have an impact on the way the text seems to appear too?

Wrt to my testing results, I'm trying to be as detailed as I can so that other testers can reproduce or recognise the same issue(s) from my description. However, I'll endeavour to be clearer next time as to what I think is a real-life bug as opposed to a user-unfriendly side-issue to be considered at a later date.

FWIW, the font/RTF results that I obtained indicate that it isn't a bug when pasting to e.g. TextEdit (with the exception of the problem encountered when the default font used isn't Times in Neo/J - which I would consider to be a bug). It is more a consequence of the presence/absence of particular font families in your OS X install which (obviously) Neo/J has no control over at all. Wrt AppleWorks - quite frankly I would have been amazed if it had worked the way it was meant to considering how rubbish AW is these days. Wink Laughing I was only really posting those results as a FYI.

P.S. I have also been experiencing a few soffice.bin crashes with these patches. I hadn't mentioned it beforehand as it appeared to be random, but perhaps it is linked to the post-paste crash you describe.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject:

This RTF stuff is interesting. There is one question that needs answering, however, as I see it:

What happens when you paste RTF between Appleworks, TextEdit, MS-Word? Is formatting lost there, and is the lost formatting the same as what Neo/J loses?

glenn
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the info Patrick. I had no idea what you needed to know, so I just reported everything.

-j
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject:

All,

I just uploaded "patch-6" which has fixes for the following three bugs:

1. When using an Asian keyboard, key focus would get stuck in one window.

2. Selecting a column in Calc and then copying it to another application would crash NeoJ.

3. Copying an image to another another application would cause NeoJ to crash when Mac OS X dispatched the next Apple event (e.g. double-clicking on a NeoJ file in the Finder or selecting "Quit" from the system menu) to NeoJ.

You can download the latest patch binaries from:
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7.1-patch-6.tar.gz

The patch file is 996997 bytes.

Please test this patch. If no serious bugs are found, I will most likely use this patch to create a NeoOffice/J 0.8 release.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject:

All,

Bug #57 was filed yesterday which leads me to believe that the crashing bug associated with copying images sometimes occurs for text.

So, I have enabled the same fix for copying text and uploaded "patch-7" here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7.1-patch-7.tar.gz

The patch file is 997907 bytes.

Please test this patch. If no serious bugs are found, I will most likely use this patch to create a NeoOffice/J 0.8 release.

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Problem with copy&paste of mixed asian/european letters

Patrick,

I've copied text with mixed asian and european letters from the Mozilla 1.6-browser into NeoOffice/J with your latest patch. The asian letters were replaced by "squares". When I do the same with Safari, I get a much worser result.

For my test, I've used the main frame of http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.6/.

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Schlesi,

I would bet that if you highlight the text that you copy into NeoJ and change the font to Hiragino or some other Japanese font, the squares will be visible as real Japanese characters.

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

you've won your bet Wink

Thomas
amake
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject:

I finally managed to register here. I had been having trouble for quite a while.

Anyway, first I want to say thanks, pluby, for all your hard work. I've been very impressed with the amount of work you put into NO/J.

I have found two problems with the Asian language input (specifically Japanese):

The underline that appears as you type should appear darker under the selected characters when you have it convert to Chinese characters. In other words, what should happen is this: You input English letters, which are displayed as Hiragana (a phonetic syllabary; the "curly" characters). When you're done with that, you hit space to get it to convert Hiragana into Kanji (Chinese characters). At this point, there should still be an underline, but it will have broken into several different groups, and one should be darker than the other. You move that darkened underline with the arrow keys to choose different groupings of characters. In NO/J, the underline never gets broken and there is no highlighted group, though you can still perform the necessary operations (it's just hard to tell which group you're on).

Another problem: After a while, inline input stops working. I was typing a paper today, and all of a sudden (maybe 20 minutes into it) the input stopped happening in the document and would be in the input window instead. I can't give you much more detail on this one.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject:

amake wrote:
The underline that appears as you type should appear darker under the selected characters when you have it convert to Chinese characters. In other words, what should happen is this: You input English letters, which are displayed as Hiragana (a phonetic syllabary; the "curly" characters). When you're done with that, you hit space to get it to convert Hiragana into Kanji (Chinese characters). At this point, there should still be an underline, but it will have broken into several different groups, and one should be darker than the other. You move that darkened underline with the arrow keys to choose different groupings of characters. In NO/J, the underline never gets broken and there is no highlighted group, though you can still perform the necessary operations (it's just hard to tell which group you're on).

I will look at this problem. I suspect that I am not properly interpretting Java's text formatting attributes so, hopefully, this should not be too hard to fix.

amake wrote:
Another problem: After a while, inline input stops working. I was typing a paper today, and all of a sudden (maybe 20 minutes into it) the input stopped happening in the document and would be in the input window instead. I can't give you much more detail on this one.

Did you download "patch-7" which I uploaded earlier today? Earlier patches (including "patch-6") had this problem and I thought that I had eliminated it in "patch-7". Please let me know if you are using "patch-7".

Patrick
amake
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject:

I am indeed running patch 7.

I just found another issue: Kinsoku shori appears not to be working correctly. Basically, there are certain characters that should never end up broken to a new line all alone (periods, commas, and other punctuation) but they are in NO/J. There is a preference for it, but it doesn't seem to work when set to "standard" or "custom." The preferred behavior for these characters is that they get shoved onto the end of the previous line even if that makes the line wider than the available space.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject:

I fixed the code that was causing the incorrect undelining. Thanks for explaining how it should be displayed.

I was able to replicate the problem where input seems to stop working. "patch-7" has a bunch of hacks to work a really bad bug in Java 1.3.1 where key entry focus gets permanently attached to the last window that is opened. My hack was to keep track of which window a key event really belongs to and then I intercept and reroute those events in Java event dispatching loop.

Unfortunately, it seems that if you close the last window opened, eventually Java will stop dispatching key entry events. I am trying to find a way to keep Java from failing to dispatch these events after the last window opened is closed.

As for the line-wrapping issue. I believe that this is a bug in the OOo 1.0.3 Writer code since NeoJ's key entry processing code merely forwards the characters input to the Writer code. The Writer code then decides how to layout the input text.

Since OOo 1.0.3 had very limited testing by Asian language testers (I'm not sure if anybody even distributed a Japanese OOo 1.0.3 on Mac OS X), the Asian language support in OOo 1.0.3 (and NeoJ) probably has many bugs that have been fixed in OOo 1.1. From what I've heard, the Sun engineers put a lot of effort into enhancing Asian language support in OOo 1.1.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject:

Amake,

I have just uploade "patch-8" which contains the following fixes for inline Asian keyboard text input:

1. Underlining now properly shifts to a combination of heavy and light underlining when the space key is pressed and the heavy underlining follows the left and right arrow keys.

2. I believe that I have solved the problem where key entry gets disconnected from a window but please try out the patch and let me know if the problem still occurs.

The "patch-8" binary file can be downloaded from here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7.1-patch-8.tar.gz

The patch file is 998029 bytes.

Patrick
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject:

While testing patch 8, I received a dialog "The requested clipboard format is not available."

I was copying from MS Word 98 (Classic) and pasting into Neo/J. I clicked OK, tried again and the past succeeded. The copy included format text (some with borders) and images.

Spooky......
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Not that I know for sure, but it may be that MS Office does not copy to the clipboard immediately. Some applications post an event in their event queue that does the copying so that your mouse clicks and keystrokes remain responsive. If this is the case, there may be a slight delay before MS Office actually pushes the data to the clipboard.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5