· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice trademark usage policy changes
NeoOffice trademark usage policy changes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice trademark usage policy changes

FYI. So after all the discussion in this topic about charging for early access to new NeoOffice releases to help fill our donation funding gap, I realized that our current trademark usage policy allows distribution of all binaries. Since this loophole could basically kill any early access revenues and could also saddle us with the support for someone's pre-release or tweaked build, I talked with Ed offline and I have modified the trademark usage guidelines at http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_CD_Distribution_%26_Trademark_Usage#NeoOffice.C2.AE_Trademark_Usage_Guidelines to close this loophole.

Specifically, I have limited mirroring of NeoOffice binaries to only those that are available for download without charge from my site. In other words, you can mirror NeoOffice 1.2.2 but you cannot mirror NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha until the early access period for it is finished.

You can still build it yourself for personal use like James does or, if you can excise all of the NeoOffice word marks from your distribution.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice trademark usage policy changes

pluby wrote:

You can still build it yourself for personal use like James does

Actually, I do test builds for gcc-4.0 on Tiger to make sure there are no issues with this type of build.

pluby wrote:

or, if you can excise all of the NeoOffice word marks from your distribution.

Or easier, send in your donations!

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject:

In the "enforcement paragraph" of the trademark usage policy, I just changed the two remaining instances of "I"/"myself" to "the trademark holder", since Ed is no longer identified as "I" to begin with.

There's one other instance of "I" and one of "My", in the definition of gross margins, but I'm not sure what that should be changed to.

(Both of those policies were essentially copy/pastes of Ed's posting of emails he had sent to a violator, if anyone's curious why "I" was in there to begin with.)

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

The "I" was in there since, until I transfer ownership, I'm the sole copyright holder and have been for years Smile

Patrick's the only other person who's been legally authorized for mark usage above and beyond the public usage guidelines.

ed
mirus
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject:

What about those people that have already donated?
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

we sing the praises of those who donate daily. =)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1