Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OpenOffice.org 2.0 no start
OpenOffice.org 2.0 no start

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: OpenOffice.org 2.0 no start

OK

I know I had the same problem last time, but I can't remember the answer. I've just updated to 2.0.2 and I can't get it to run: it starts, gives a couple of leaps, then stops loading. I've tried starting it with executable and with double-click. Same result. I have X11 going fine. I'm using 10.4.5, I have lots of RAM. My previous OpenOffice.org 2 version worked OK recently. I think it's something to do with dumping a preference file or similar; I've looked at the wiki and the FAQs, but can't find what I need. I'm sure it's simple. Any offers of help much appreciated. Smile

Peter
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

i'd try moving your preferences all together and see if that helps. also, you could try to lanch it from the xterm, and see if the command line can call it.

did you verify download size?

-j
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

if that does not work, check that the files that need to be executed have the right permissions (I know, this is my standard comment on this sort of error).
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: What I've Tried

Thanks guys. This forum is great for this sort of support.

No, I didn't verify size. Have never had a problem with that. I use Speed Download, which works pretty well most times.
I tried permissions [all, inc a restart]. That didn't work.
I'm not game to dump all my prefs. I have visions of having to re-input dozens of reg. numbers, passwords and default information. Plus, I know that last time this happened, the solution was a very minor adjustment: I just can't remember what it was! Sad

Cheers
Peter
LJHeal
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject:

Well, some technical proficiency must be assumed. But -

Doing the Finder Get Info Permissions thing is not always as good as good old chmod -R; okay, make that new improved and better 'sudo chmod -R ug+x .' or such.

Dumping all Preferences is not as good as picking ~/Library/OpenOffice* out of your hat and putting it somewhere convenient, like in the Trash. For the reasons you mention. I think I have the path right. Other messages in this forum discuss the details.

Certainly take the trouble to verify your downloads. Pretty easy to match up the checksums.

Finally, compare the working OOo hierarchy to the non-working one and see what files you may be hanging up on. But the file permissions is my guess. I am forever allowing OpenOffice files and directories to be world writable.

Ah, you can define yourself a new User name and try to run OpenOffice from that user without disturbing any other preferences.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject:

=) not ALL your preferences, just the openoffice.org ones.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Where oh where

jakeOSX wrote:
=) not ALL your preferences, just the openoffice.org ones.

Ah yes...I've been searching for library/OOo library/OpenOffice preferences/openoffice et etc I can't seem to find any relevant preferences Confused

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: If at first

Ok Thanks for all the help, chaps. Very Happy

I did go back to zero and downloaded again, tossed out the old and installed anew and guess what - it worked! I was greeted by charming litttle crystal icons, and a sign-in sheet. Maybe that was the simple thing I did last time this happened. Lovely Smile

Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1