Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Details
NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Details

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Longer term, more expensive subscription?

Hi Patrick,

I like the wording of the page and think it's wise to drop the usage restriction. If there is a problem with the early access plan, you can always tweak it for the second alpha or the Intel alpha. I think it's best to assume honest users when it comes to OSS projects.

I have a question for you about the subscription options: Is it possible to offer a more expensive but longer-term subscription option? Say, $100 for a full calendar year of early access or somesuch? This would be my preference, as it would be easier to explain and justify once than to have to go back and ask for another $25 budget approval every time you want to run the EAP. Just a though. Either way, this is a great start to hopefully stable funding, though I encourage you to be patient. It may take a few tweaks to find the optimal balance. (Yes, this is easy for me to say, my wife isn't subsidising NeoOffice development. Yet.)
synp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Longer term, more expensive subscription?

ben wrote:
I have a question for you about the subscription options: Is it possible to offer a more expensive but longer-term subscription option? Say, $100 for a full calendar year of early access or somesuch?

Or maybe make it a subscription for the entire version rather than for a year. For $100 you can get 2.0 Alpha, 2.0 Beta, 2.0 GA and all the 2.0.x releases at their earliest distribution time.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Longer term, more expensive subscription?

synp wrote:
Or maybe make it a subscription for the entire version rather than for a year. For $100 you can get 2.0 Alpha, 2.0 Beta, 2.0 GA and all the 2.0.x releases at their earliest distribution time.

This I can actually do fairly easily with the tools that I have (doing a time-based subscription is not so easy). Since this idea is easy to setup, I'll add it. But first I have to figure out what to call it. Maybe "NeoOffice 2.x Early Access Membership Subscription" or something like that. Suggestions for the name of this item?

Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

The screenshot on the early access page is great & really an inducement for me to get a paypal account. Am I wrong, or is the application background color lighter than of NeoOffice 1.2? Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
The screenshot on the early access page is great & really an inducement for me to get a paypal account. Am I wrong, or is the application background color lighter than of NeoOffice 1.2? Smile

Note: you don't need a PayPal account, just a VISA or MasterCard. Like the CD purchase page, PayPal also functions as a credit card processing site.

Only the toolbars are lighter. The other stuff (e.g. scrollbars, rules, etc.) are the same colors as Neo 1.2.x.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

For those that aren't glued to the wiki's changelog, I have also finished a first rough cut of a "supplemental FAQ" for the EAP (as the program stood this morning Wink )

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Early_Access_FAQ

There are still a few rough edges and some stats to be filled in, but it's ready for comment/editing.

Patrick can then add the content to his EAP pages if he desires, or we can continue to maintain it in the wiki. Either way, hopefully we won't have to continually answer the same questions over and over, and people will gain a little better understanding of what goes in to producing NeoOffice.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I had to retag a few files for the NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC release as I found a huge performance problem in the OOo 2.0 code in certain presentations (seems to occur when diagonal text is displayed). The code cased NeoOffice to paint such text roughly 10 times slower than in Neo 1.2.x so I thought it would be good to fix the code before I release the binaries.

So, if you are building your own Neo 2.0 Alpha version, be sure to "cvs update -d" after tonight's 3:00 am anoncvs sync and invoke make.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
For those that aren't glued to the wiki's changelog, I have also finished a first rough cut of a "supplemental FAQ" for the EAP (as the program stood this morning Wink )

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Early_Access_FAQ

There are still a few rough edges and some stats to be filled in, but it's ready for comment/editing.

Smokey

Typo - third paragraph "The Early Accces Progam"

Looks good. Wow, This is actually comming together well! Great planning on everyone's part. Thanks to All

Philip (4 day, 30 minutes Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject:

CVS backup commencing. The resync will still trigger at 3AM PST after the backup is complete.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

No Message

Philip (FOUR!!! days until 2.OH! Wink )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Smoky,

I made some edits to the wiki page:

1. I replaced the "single, specific release-quality milestone binary" phrase with wording from the Planamesa site as "release-quality" kind of scares me considering this is an Alpha release and who knows what bugs we will find.

2. I added wording for the NeoOffice 2.x Early Access subscription which I added to the Planamesa site this morning.

3. I filled in some of the missing facts that you had placeholders for.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Smoky,

I made some edits to the wiki page:

1. I replaced the "single, specific release-quality milestone binary" phrase with wording from the Planamesa site as "release-quality" kind of scares me considering this is an Alpha release and who knows what bugs we will find.

2. I added wording for the NeoOffice 2.x Early Access subscription which I added to the Planamesa site this morning.

Hope that helps,

Patrick

The wording looks very good. Clear, Fair, and explains why the funding is requested. I really LIKE it and "hope" that this will increase donations/subscriptions.

Question: If I sign up for "Single Release" Early Access subscription, is there any way I could upgrade that to "Full Version" Early Access? I'm sure this might be a pain-in-the-butt task.

Why do I ask then? Because I have enought to pay US$25 for next week, but will have to wait for my US Tax refund (2-3 weeks) to pay US$100 for the "Full Version" subscription.

I really REALLY like the idea of a "Full Version" / Version 2.OH! / whatever for $100.
Do it once, Support NeoOffice 2.OH!, Get the best Office Suite sooner

Philip (who is NOT really REALLY excited about 2.OH! coming Wink )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Question: If I sign up for "Single Release" Early Access subscription, is there any way I could upgrade that to "Full Version" Early Access? I'm sure this might be a pain-in-the-butt task.

Not with the tools that I have. Most likely, however, I'll probably lower the subscription price when Neo 2.0 Beta comes out since such subscription buyers are buying a shorter subscription and it would be kind of silly to have a US$100 price tag when we reach Neo 2.0 final.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Ooops, yeah. That's not the meaning of "release-quality" I meant, but most people will interpret it that way, and that would be bad Sad

pluby wrote:

2.x or 2.0.x? I guess it's hard to tell what our release plans are this far in advance and what branches they might be off of, but "2.0.x" seems safer to me....

pluby wrote:

Hope that helps

Very much so! Thanks (less digging in old threads for me) Smile

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
2.x or 2.0.x? I guess it's hard to tell what our release plans are this far in advance and what branches they might be off of, but "2.0.x" seems safer to me....

I'm going with 2.x as it rewards those who are taking a bigger risk on NeoOffice. Trying to restrict the versioning too much gives the impression that we might "pull a fast one" later.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8