NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Details

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:
2.x or 2.0.x? I guess it's hard to tell what our release plans are this far in advance and what branches they might be off of, but "2.0.x" seems safer to me....

I'm going with 2.x as it rewards those who are taking a bigger risk on NeoOffice. Trying to restrict the versioning too much gives the impression that we might "pull a fast one" later.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,

It's probably a 6-of-one, half-dozen of the other issue. Either way "could" be a problem, or Not. Smile
Going for 2.x is Very generous. Personally, I trust you to not "pull a fast one" later. Things change all the time and my crystal ball is in the shop - for a cleaning.
If there are a lot of .1 versions, AND improvements, I would probably feel generous and re-subscribe.

Note to small business owners, if you use NeoOffice for your business needs it "might" be a (US) Tax expense. IANAL, YMMV (OK, I just thought of this because I just finished my US Taxes )

Philip (not holding my breath for 3 days, 7 hours. Did he mention what time zone the release is going to be in?? Wink )

<edit>
Patrick, What did you think of using the names: "Version" vs "Release" Early Access Subscription? Or something like that??
A RELEASE is a full 2.x kind of thing.
A VERSION is for: 2.0 Alpha, Beta, etc.
You would subscribe for just one VERSION, or for the whole RELEASE.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Note, however, for business or personal expenses in the US legally you can't deduct them as for other 501c as Planamesa is not organized as such. That doesn't mean that Neo turns a profit, though, it means you have to deduct anything as a business expense and not group it with 501c donations.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Patrick, What did you think of using the names: "Version" vs "Release" Early Access Subscription? Or something like that??
A RELEASE is a full 2.x kind of thing.
A VERSION is for: 2.0 Alpha, Beta, etc.
You would subscribe for just one VERSION, or for the whole RELEASE.

IMNSHO Wink that's splitting hairs that not everyone is capable of splitting Smile Also, it's nice to be able to have a few synonyms available when writing stuff Wink

I like the "series of Neo 2.x releases" wording Patrick has on planamesa.com now Smile

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Note, however, for business or personal expenses in the US legally you can't deduct them as for other 501c as Planamesa is not organized as such. That doesn't mean that Neo turns a profit, though, it means you have to deduct anything as a business expense and not group it with 501c donations.

ed

Yea, What Ed said. Grin - So Planamesa is Not a charity? Don't you do all this work as a gift for humanity?!?

I was talking/thinking as a business expense, not as a non-profit donation. I use Neo for my personal AND Business use. I pay a fee for Neo as a business tool, just like TurboTax, my laptop and cell phone. Check with your accountant.
grin - Just because Planamesa does not turn a "profit" does not mean it's a US non-profit organization! (old joke )

Philip (tic tic tic Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

That is a good point. If you do either do contributations or EAP and use Neo for business purposes (and your company doesn't claim it), you may be able to deduct the amount under the "unreimbursed business expenses" line if you itemize. IIRC, software doesn't need to be depreciated (unlike hardware). You can't take it if you file a 1040EZ, tho, only a 1040 long w/schedule A.

The US tax code is so convoluted at times that it may does help to hire a professional. Oddly enough, the fees given to a paid tax preparer are in and of themselves a tax deduction...how convoluted is that Wink

ed
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
That is a good point. If you do either do contributations or EAP and use Neo for business purposes (and your company doesn't claim it), you may be able to deduct the amount under the "unreimbursed business expenses" line if you itemize. IIRC, software doesn't need to be depreciated (unlike hardware). You can't take it if you file a 1040EZ, tho, only a 1040 long w/schedule A.

In the UK software bought on the same invoice as hardware must be depreciated, but software bought at a different time does not - go figure.

Andy.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

OK, I think the FAQ in the wiki covers pretty much everything I think it should cover right now (IOW, I'm happy with it). The only other thing is at the end, should we direct further questions to a specific forum on trinity (or even a specific thread, such as this one or the "Neo2 screenshots" thread that spawned the EAP?

Is everyone else (especially Patrick Wink ) happy with it?

One other little issue (with the EAP page on planamesa.com):

Depending on the width of your browser window and/or font sizes, the screenshot overlaps the text for the price of the EAP: http://www.mindspring.com/~alqahira/overlap.jpg Sad

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
OK, I think the FAQ in the wiki covers pretty much everything I think it should cover right now (IOW, I'm happy with it). The only other thing is at the end, should we direct further questions to a specific forum on trinity (or even a specific thread, such as this one or the "Neo2 screenshots" thread that spawned the EAP?

Is everyone else (especially Patrick Wink ) happy with it

Smokey

Looks very good to me. It seems to answer each question clearly, and sometimes repeatly for clarification.
I like the idea of refering "further questions" to ... someplace like a specific thread.

The ONLY area that I think there is "any" question about is the difference between the single Alpha release vs. 2.x full release. I'm not sure what more could be said - just that it seems ... vauge? I wonder if someone can mis-understand it? Maybe:
Quote:
The NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC - Early Access Progam does not provide you early access to any future NeoOffice release, such as NeoOffice 2.0 Beta PowerPC or NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha Intel unless you purchase a NeoOffice 2.x - Early Access Program subscrition for a higher fee.

sardisson wrote:

One other little issue (with the EAP page on planamesa.com):

Depending on the width of your browser window and/or font sizes, the screenshot overlaps the text for the price of the EAP: http://www.mindspring.com/~alqahira/overlap.jpg Sad

Smokey

I can confirm this.
When the browser screen width is very wide, the subscription prices can overwrite the image.
When the screen width is very narrow, the hyperlinks can overwrite the image.

Philip ( 2 days, 3 hours !!! Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
The ONLY area that I think there is "any" question about is the difference between the single Alpha release vs. 2.x full release. I'm not sure what more could be said - just that it seems ... vauge? I wonder if someone can mis-understand it?

I tweaked that a paragraph a little bit...better?

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Smokey,

LOOKS GOOD! Ship It!?!

Philip ( 2 days, 1 hour ... Wink )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Yes, I think the page is OK. Feel free to make it live whenever is convenient for you.

sardisson wrote:

FYI. I just fixed this problem.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Yes, I think the page is OK. Feel free to make it live whenever is convenient for you.

sardisson wrote:

FYI. I just fixed this problem.

Patrick

Smile

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The Early Access Program is now live (a few people have already signed up!). I'll post something on the trinity front page in the next hour or so.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Heh, and here I was coming to post wishes for a good launch tomorrow while I'd be away....Good to see it's off to a great start already!

Hopefully the ususal suspects won't claim that NeoOffice 2.0 is released already Evil or Very Mad

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Click

Would it be possible to make it a little more obvious as to what to click on to access the early access program....Currently this wording 'NeoOffice Early Access Program' is the only clickable item and you dont even know that is clickable unless you move directly over it.....

I went to sign up but could not figure out what to click on...I found it so I can now....
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8