NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Details
NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Details

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
FYI, MacBidouille/HardMac have published news about NeoOffice EAP.

But as always, ericb is flaming on the forums...

Arrrrrrrgh,

<rant>
It you can't say anything NICE -- SHUT The *&%^ UP. Evil or Very Mad

I wonder is this is the proper way for a Project Leader to act?
I would not want to follow someone who feels that they only way to build support is to put down another project. Especially a project that seems to be doing the work instead of taking and taking and talking....

Seems like a way to piss of as many people as possible, with little reward?
</rant>

Philip (Seems like Neo 2.OH! is DOING everything others "talk" about Confused )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I just got finished reading the MacBidouille forum thread (with a little help from online mutarjims from time-to-time; my French is, uh, rusty Wink as val1984 can attest), and it seems that generally the reactions to the EAP (as opposed to any of the other subjects that appeared in the thread, which ran the gamut) were positive, which is good Smile

I was a little concerned, because although the EAP page itself (and the Wiki FAQ) was clear that this was done as a way to raise funds to further development, the subsequent announcements (trinity news and the update mailing list) didn't really address that point.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I reviewed the MacBidouille forum thread too, and my high school French is even more rusty. Baring the "unnecessary" flamming by some, the reactions seemed ... fair-to-ok.

I would agree that the later Trinity news items were a little less clear that this was a way to raise funds. I guess because I read the Wiki and EAP pages so often during review that I thought this point was very, VERY well covered.
But then, why read the details when it's easier to flame with a personal opinion/agenda. I hope other announcments can be as clear as the EAP and Wiki pages.

Philip (done with flames, to busy testing/using/loving Neo 2.OH! Alpha Wink )
ben
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Awesome!

I bought a subscription to the EAP and wanted to file a complaint:

Patrick doesn't know how to release an Alpha. This build is _far_ too stable and feature rich to be named as such. Wink

Seriously, I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing in NeoOffice 2.0's Alpha. I used it throughout the day. It launches much faster on my PowerBook than NeoOffice 1.x ever did. (G4 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM) How did you improve the startup time so much? Nifty.

It's great to finally start moving to OpenDocument files. I'm very pleasantly surprised with this rock-solid and fast "alpha" release. There's no doubt that you're a software engineer. I was so encouraged with this build that I started to compile from sources on the Intel Mini at work at the end of the day. I wonder if it will be done in the morning. Either way, I'll be broaching the subject of an EAP subscription for work tomorrow.

Anyway, well done. I look forward to future refinement and Intel support, though "just" having feature parity with the other platforms that I work with is huge.

Cheers,

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome!

ben wrote:
Seriously, I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing in NeoOffice 2.0's Alpha. I used it throughout the day. It launches much faster on my PowerBook than NeoOffice 1.x ever did. (G4 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM) How did you improve the startup time so much? Nifty.

Actually, Sun's OOo engineers deserve much of the credit for the faster startup. From what I understand, this was one of the major engineering efforts that Sun did between OOo 1.1.x and OOo 2.0.x.

BTW. The Alpha isn't perfect as I'll be putting out the first patch in the next 24 hours to fix a memory leak and a few other bugs.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:

If someone gets a chance, can you also take a look and see if the Spotlight indexing is properly taking up the OpenDocument files? There are some nagging BZ issues that I'd like to close if it works, or will work on if it's horked.

I only ever tested it on toy documents myself. In theory I wrote it from the oasis specs and it should work, but usually these things blow up in practice Smile

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice now officially an OpenOffice.org "derivate&am

Well, I edited my post since the content seems to have already been discussed elsewhere.

Last edited by Samwise on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:

There has already been a lot of discussion about this elsewhere in these fora as well as OOo's mac@porting list so let's not veer into this subject in this topic.

Patrick
james__bow
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Using it, and Loving it!

Okay, so I thought I'd participate in the Early Access Program, and lend you my support in exchange for a sneak preview of the new software. After having trouble getting the download to finish without crapping out, I got my disk image, loaded everything up and opened up my first document file. So far, I've experienced no crashes.

It's been a while since I used OpenOffice 2.0, or even Microsoft Word, so it may take me a while to get used to the changes from NeoOffice 1.2.2, but overall I'm quite happy with the experience. The whole thing feels more feature-rich and more "Mac-ish". It ably loaded my documents without difficulty, and the program's speed seems as good as NeoOffice 1.2.2.

I did encounter one small problem when I found that the English (Canada) dictionary hadn't been included with the download. In importing my 1.2.2. preferences, it said that my documents used the Canadian English dictionary, but every word was listed as a spelling mistake. Fortunately, I was able to download the dictionaries off of the OpenOffice site, and then install them in NeoOffice's correct component directory. A quick modification of the dictionary.lst file, and I was off and running. But perhaps that's something you could fix in the Beta, assuming it doesn't add too much to the download.

The changes in the font used by the program, and the changes to its rendering of the text will take a little getting used to, but it seems to be displaying pages accurately and I've had no problems with editing.

So, already I'm a pretty happy customer, and I can't think of what else you're likely to add between now and the release candidate. Thank you for taking the time to make this upgrade. I'm looking forward to many hours of being a happy user.
benhourigan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Release notes?

Where are the release notes for NeoOffice 2.0 and the patches?

I'm an Early Access subscriber.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Details on the various patches and fixes are maintained here:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_2.0_Alpha_PowerPC_Release_Notes

Note that if you're already an EAP member, to go to Alpha 2, you can just download a patch and do not need to download an entire new binary dimage.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8