NeoOffice :: View topic - OpenOffice.org removes Neo from Mac downloads page
OpenOffice.org removes Neo from Mac downloads page

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
FYI, I edited the Derived Works page@OpenOffice.org to show which OSes are supported by each OOo derived product.
I think I will add a license column ASAP.

Thank VAL1984.
The link works fine for me, behind firewall. This is what everyone was asking for.
Will you be adding a column for X11 dependancy??

Philip (Supporting the OOo Community since ... Wink )
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
FYI, I edited the Derived Works page@OpenOffice.org to show which OSes are supported by each OOo derived product.
I think I will add a license column ASAP.

I could be cheeky and suggest that Neo looks very lonely in the skinny Mac OS X column Wink . Perhaps an X11 column might balance it out. BTW, why is it that there are/were so many Asian derivatives of Windows OpenOffice.org? Is it a function of the relative cost of MS Office in Asian countries? Or is OpenOffice.org's language compatability the motivator?

P
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Neo is alone in its Mac OS X column.
I don't really understand what's the point to not mentionning Neo on OpenOffice.org Mac porting page since it's the only derived work for Mac OS X. But my emails to mac@porting seem not to be welcome.
I think a X11 column is not worth it since Windows versions and Neo are the only versions which run without X11.

BTW, feel free to modify this page since it's on a wiki Wink
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
BTW, feel free to modify this page since it's on a wiki Wink

While it hasn't happened to my knowledge...I hope I don't have to remind folk that if you modify any wiki, please do so only if it's constructive. Even though others employ deceitful tactics and personal slander, there's no reason for anyone to drag things down to the level of wiki defacement and vandalism. That's just really really childish, regardless of whomever's wiki it is.

ed
gast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: effect

Hi, I just had a look at the Mac-Porting mailing list archive and the effect of removing Neo is already there. People asking for help because the downloaded version doesn't work - no X11 installed. At that point I really would cry out: hey here is Neo, you dont need to fuzz around with X11. The Problem is, that HIM has posted:

Quote:
Everyone is invited to respect the subject of this list : official port
of OpenOffice.org on Mac OS X.
For informations concerning other projects than OpenOffice.org, please
use dedicated mailing lists.

Well - this means that the people searching for help on the porting list wont even hear about alternatives to X11.

Not only that I fear for people falling back to commercial products but there my be also some switchers that are new to the mac searching for OOo and now they have to find out that the ease of use on the Mac means installing 2 different kinds of software to get one app to work that in the end looks and feeels like windows they thought they could leave behind......

Sorry, thats not acceptable. Someone should inform Apple about the situation and they could clarify it in their next e-newsletter...

regards, g.
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: effect

gast wrote:
The Problem is, that HIM has posted:

All hail to HIM!

HIM will lead us the way to the Linux GU via X11I.

Twisted Evil
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: effect

MacRat wrote:
All hail to HIM!

HIM will lead us the way to the Linux GU via X11I.

Wait...I thought you were one who worships the me who is also a him (though the hair may confuse people at times...even though you'd think the goatee would give it away...)

I understand the temptation you may feel in these tumultuous times. You may make a pilgramage, lay offerings of incense, sake, and RAM at my feet and I may yet forgive your transgressions.

(pardon me while I get smitten by a bolt of lightning...Laughing)

ed
LJHeal
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Able was I ere I saw Elba...

By the time I got to this thread, it had drifted substantially. Less so on OOo where there is only one lone voice/scribe defending his decision. And everyone reminded of him.

What you have is typical. A guy wants his little principality. Let's call it the Mac OS X Porting Project. There's another chunk of Gibraltar that is a little nicer. Let's call it NeoOffice. But it just isn't a part of the fiefdom this guy wants to set up. So he stakes out the boundaries and declares to the world that it has nothing to do with him.

Managers do this all the time. And what we are witnessing is a management issue, or the result of management errors. Rather than bring NeoOffice into the fold, it gets shunted, because someone rather insanely thinks he can turn his project into his kingdom.

The problems in the reasoning show up easily, as is also typical. At http://eric.bachard.free.fr/news/2006/04/mise-au-point.html we read

"our focus is on OpenOffice.org, not NeoOffice, which is a derivation based substantially (more than 98 percent) on OpenOffice.org code."

Okay..., but in the last paragraph he finishes:

"we invite friendly collaboration and cooperation and would like for the Mac community to help us port OpenOffice.org to Aqua."

So this Aqua port is going to be a part of the OOo code base? Is that the issue? Is more or less than 2 percent as much code as in OOo going to be written for this Aqua port? Is that the issue?

Gee, NeoOffice is kind of like an Aqua port, isn't it? I believe we have found our issue at last...

Now, it is also typical, to typecast, that French go off and do things that we Anglos find rash and sudden - and that the English, Americans, and especially Austrialians :P are wont to take actions which leave proper Frenchmen similarly aghast. Rather peculiar for such cultural relatives. However, this Napoleonic powergrab is destined, should it continue, to meet with what its progenitor found, that eventually he is left to rule a roost of one, hence the phrase that heads the Subject: line:

Able was I ere I saw Elba
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Able was I ere I saw Elba...

LJHeal wrote:
Gee, NeoOffice is kind of like an Aqua port, isn't it?

It's not "kind of", it *is*. Although the middle of the thread, probably the start of the relevant posts:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=18822#18822

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Able was I ere I saw Elba...

LJHeal wrote:
Able was I ere I saw Elba

Ah! It's a palindrome! ROFL!

(sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake)

In terms of historical allegory, however, one important thing to keep in consideration is that the fallout of the Napoleonic wars was the Congress of Vienna which, arguably, had mixed results from the resultant gerrymandered Europe.

ed
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Able was I ere I saw Elba...

LJHeal wrote:

Now, it is also typical, to typecast, that French go off and do things that we Anglos find rash and sudden - and that the English, Americans, and especially Austrialians Razz are wont to take actions which leave proper Frenchmen similarly aghast. Rather peculiar for such cultural relatives.

mmm...as an Aussie, should I be complimented or insulted by that remark? PS I'll forgive the mis-spelling: or were you punning, including Austrians and Australians together in Austrialians? Smile

Laughing
P
gast

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Able was I ere I saw Elba...

aussie149 wrote:
Austrialians?

In fact this species exists! I know it because my sister emigrated from Austria to Australia Wink
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

...so not a breed of alien ostrich, then? Or should I say Straussländer?

- padmavyuha (Wortspiel Macht Frei)
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Able was I ere I saw Elba...

gast wrote:
aussie149 wrote:
Austrialians?

In fact this species exists! I know it because my sister emigrated from Austria to Australia Wink

So, she is the one LJHeal was pointing the finger at! A new species apparently, going around aghasting French people! Tut, tut.

Still, Austrialians probably works better than some alternatives: imagine emigrant groups called Germanalians, Britalians [or Austrish - Ostrich?? - see above], Francalians. Italians already works well, Vietnamalians not so well, Chinalians could be Austrese, and Filipinos could become Filipalians [or Austrinos: sounds like the name of a small particle of matter or energy!]. Canadians could adopt Aussie beer culture and become Canadalians [can-a-day-lians, get it Wink Rolling Eyes']
My head just exploded Smile

P
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

And well it should!

Can-A-Day-lians? What a silly idea?!? They only come package a 6, 12 and 24 quanity.

Philip ( looking for "his" ... can?!? Wink )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7