NeoOffice :: View topic - Wiki Access
Wiki Access

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Wiki Access

This is mainly to smokey, but as always i want to see if there are other opinions.

I am thinking about opening registration back up for the wiki. right now a sysop has to create an account. this was done to help with spam. However, I am thinking that maybe it is time to try it again, and see how it goes.

What do you think?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

There hasn't been much of a problem here with spam through registered accounts, only some very minor instances after which I just deleted the account.

Let me know if it's an issue and I can help try to review changes every few days to see if any were spam and need to be reverted.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm opposed to reopening registration at this point:

1) I haven't seen anyone mention "I would have contributed, but I couldn't register myself"
2) Other small wikis I know/use (including one that's not linked anywhere publicly) still get plenty of registered spammers, several per day.

IOW, reopening would create extra work without any benefit that I can see yet (the users who are registered do not edit/add items very often, either; it's been a Smokey and Yessica show lately Sad )

(As for forum spam, I run a small phpBB forum and we only let registered users post. That doesn't stop spammers from registering regularly to post spam. The only reason we don't see registered spammers here at trinity is because they don't have to jump through that hoop to spam--but if they did, they're perfectly capable and willing to register and spam, just like on the wiki....)

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

OK, well whatever you think would work out best. I'm unfortunately not terribly up on hwo bad the wiki spam could get. Actually, since there are so many of us running through and deleting spam here I don't really have a handle on how bad the situation is in the forums (except that it's not bad enough yet that the mods can't handle it Smile ).

Whatever the decision if you decide you need another set of eyes let me know and I can do my best when I'm not screaming at NWF Smile

ed
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I did never write directly to the wiki but had some hints for its content (some know my reasons), so I do not know whether I should write on this or not. I am with Smokey in this discussion. Leave this with some control, if ever the requests of new wiki-contributors raises to very high level you could think of adding someone else as sysop.. In my opinion this also gives a bit more guarantee for the quality of the wiki, when noone comes in without approval. (But this is only a personal opinion)
T.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I Vote with Smokey on this too.

There is too much stuff going on and spamers hit everything they can. If someone really wants to help edit NeoWiki, then it's not unreasonable that they register first. It requires a level of effort.

Spamers have little shame in registering to spam. Why make their task so much easier.

The only request I would have is to update the Wiki to clearly list how a person can register. Individual steps on one page would be good. KISS?!?
When I first tried to register, I felt I was in an endless loop trying to find out just Who to Say What to to get an Wiki account. As I recall - one of the register links states - "to be completed later". Very frustrating.... Embarassed

NeoWiki is a very valuable resource - for all Mac users of OOo and NeoOffice. It deserves some effort to protect it - IMHO.

Philip (in awe of the efforts and resources of this group/fora! Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
The only request I would have is to update the Wiki to clearly list how a person can register. Individual steps on one page would be good. KISS?!?
When I first tried to register, I felt I was in an endless loop trying to find out just Who to Say What to to get an Wiki account. As I recall - one of the register links states - "to be completed later". Very frustrating.... Embarassed

Yeah, Jake was going to have an email address that would forward to him and me, but it wouldn't work for some reason, and I didn't want to expose the Community Relations email account to more spam. So we just settled on PMs for a "temporary" measure. Heh.

Hopefully the instructions are clearer these days? http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/New_User

Edit: Oh, and one more thing: keeping it "locked down" keeps out regular vandals and trolls, too. During the 1.1 launch (before the wiki was /.ed away), we had a couple of people come in and start edting the wiki, pointing to direct download links and doing other no-nos.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

If you guys want another forwarding address within neo.org let me know...I can set those up fairly easily. I know I can do 1 to 1 forwarding, am not sure about 1 to many. Just e-mail me details.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
LemonAid wrote:

Yeah, Jake was going to have an email address that would forward to him and me, but it wouldn't work for some reason, and I didn't want to expose the Community Relations email account to more spam. So we just settled on PMs for a "temporary" measure. Heh.

Hopefully the instructions are clearer these days? http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/New_User
Smokey

Grin, Well my problem as a really new user was sending a PM. I was ... clueless what a PM was. And once I knew what "it" was, on how to do "it". Then who/what are these user names I was suppose "PM" to. And how the heck do I check used - user names?!? Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I had not used Forums before (I try to keep a low profile on the Internet). I don't post very often. NeoOffice is a rare exception because I think this is such an IMPORTANT and valuable task. I do what I can to help "the Whole OOo Community".

<note> I think I should say - even with experience - I really don't like the LISTs used over at mac@ porting.openoffice.org, and such. I don't have enough time and/or patience to use such a (new) user UN-friendly system. If NeoOffice used that I probably would not be active in this fora. I can't image how it will support the flood of new/inexperienced Mac users and questions. Laughing
<endnote>

I think I was the poster child for ... Newby / clueless / n00b (did I get that right? Confused )/ and more.
Clueless means that a new person really doesn't have a clue. Embarassed

NeoWiki wrote:
So you want to be a user? Well, as long as you aren't a spammer, we want you as a user! Here is how you go about becoming a registered NeoWiki user:

1. Email the sysops at this address: address forthcoming

In the meantime, send a personal message to sardisson or [/]jakeOSX[/u] on trinity

2. In the email [private message], let the sysops know:
1. your name
2. your email address
3. what username you want
* Check the current list of users to make sure your desired username is still available, of course.

etc.

Please don't think that I'm saying the efforts on the fora and the Wiki aren't OUTSTANDING! When I say I'm in "awe" of everyone's contributions - I MEAN IT! Just that it really confused me (IMnsHO) and I have not figured out what to suggest how to avoid these problems.
Did I mention I do a LOT of new user support and have an STRONG adversion to poor user interfaces/GUI, or to many assumptions the user knows/understands, or even the assumption that they have RTFM. Maybe that's why I dropped OOoX11 for NeoOffice.

Well, I think I've spouted of enough. Time to feed the family.

Everyone keep doing the excellent support they are doing and the world will be ... a better place.

Philip (may have to up his ... meds - he's spouting again Wink )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1