· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - MS Word file opens as read only in 10.2.8
MS Word file opens as read only in 10.2.8

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Singingcrow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: MS Word file opens as read only in 10.2.8

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea why a word file would open as a read only file? I checked the file on a pc and it opens fine. The file itself is 30 MB and has jpeg graphic throughout, although I don't think this affects it in any way since I have two other files that are similar but not as big that open just fine.

I went into the load/save area and made sure the files opened and saved as word documents, but no luck.

I'm running on 10.2.8 a g4 466 and 612 RAM and two 30 gig HDs.

Hopeful Rolling Eyes

Thanks,
Singingcrow
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject:

Well, if it is only this one file, i'd check the file's permittions to make sure it isn't set to 'read only'. (i think there may even be a setting in Word with regards to this... but i am not sure)

Try some other Word files and see if the problem is with all of them.

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...I haven't had any problems opening word documents that are modifiable under 10.2.8. Also be sure to check that it's in a directory where you have write permission. Most all of the word documents I've opened have been on a local drive in either the Desktop or my Documents folder.

ed
Singingcrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for taking the time for this.

Well... I created the original myself. Can you accidentally set the permissions in word?

How can I check out the files permissions without going on a pc - I have limited access to a pc believe it or not.

Another thing I found odd with these files is OOo is renaming them. For instance Volume I is becoming Chapter One.

Maybe it's ghosts Question
Singingcrow
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ghosts in the machine.

isn't that a band?

anyway. in OSX permissions are easy. right click (or cmd click if you are still one buttonin' it, hardcore and all) and 'get info'

you'll see a tab that says "ownership and permissions" and under there are your permissions. it should say "read and write"

was it just this one file? or was it all Word files? and did you get this file off of a CDROM that you burned? (PC's usually burn all files onto a CDROM as read only, and though i've yet to have an issue with that on a Mac, it might be the issue..)

hope that helps.

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Singingcrow wrote:
Another thing I found odd with these files is OOo is renaming them. For instance Volume I is becoming Chapter One.

Are the file names themselves being retitled, or only headings within the files? If it's text within the file, it may be due to something like a stylesheet that got imported wrong. If it's the files themselves, that seems a bit wacky...while Word tends to try to title a file after its first line of text when resaving (annoying 'feature'), OOo's pretty good about sticking with whatever name it originally had.

ed
Singingcrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject:

When I looked at the info, yes, you were right, they are all in read-onlt format. So then I tried opening the others similar to the one I need and voila! thay came up as read-only when they hadn't before.

Finally it clicked that you mentioned, ed, that opening them from the user file or desktop...duh! I've been trying to open it off disk. Shocked

I've now saved it to my desktop and it opens beautifully.

By the way, it seems OOo was just retitling not renaming the file.

Thanks for your patience and answering so quickly guys. it seems when you're panicking things aren't so clear.

Big lesson learnt for me - Believe me, I won't forget it.

Singingcrow
Singingcrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject:

By the way, I also wanted to add :

In the beginning (November) I had placed all the files on the disk on the desktop, but the one I needed two months later must have somehow become corrupt, because it had worked originally.

Thanks again for the great help! Very Happy
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject:

Glad you found the problem Smile I completely forgot to mention checking if the files were on a read-only disk like a CD...if they're on something like that they'll still be read-only until you save a copy to another location.

Here's another tip regarding file 'permissions' that's also not obvious at first, but definitely related...OpenOffice.org can't read "locked" files. In addition to all of the read/write permissions mentioned above, the Mac also has the old "Locked" checkbox for you to lock files (the file icon will have a little padlock put above it in the finder).

OpenOffice.org can't even open locked files. You'll get an error message when trying to open them about Access denied. This message will appear regardless of the file permissions. Only workaround is to unlock the file Sad

If you want to keep files read-only but still able to be opened by OOo, you should change the read/write file permissions to read only and leave the file unlocked (unlike what a Mac traditionalist would do).

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Read-only files

Singingcrow wrote:
By the way, I also wanted to add :

In the beginning (November) I had placed all the files on the disk on the desktop, but the one I needed two months later must have somehow become corrupt, because it had worked originally.

I don't think anyone mentioned in this thread, what version of OOo they were using.

There is an open bug report for an issue similar to what you are describing.

You might want to take a look at :

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=23218

Regards, Terry
Singingcrow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks Terry. I checked out the thread but it seems to be an issue with 1.1.1. I'm using 1.0.3.

Singingcrow
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1