Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neooffice palette?
Neooffice palette?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Neooffice palette?

I'm not sure this is a new topic Embarassed
Anyway, IMHO Neo needs something like the OOO-Palette to maintain it active after the last document is closed.
Any idea? Thanks. Stefano B.
asxless
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Neooffice palette?

Here is a simple workaround that I use. It is a variant of other posts here and on other fora....

I launch NeoJ by opening a dummy Writer document that contains the words "Don't Close Me!" in very large type on a dark blue background. As soon as it opens I type a space and minimize it to the dock. A docuemnt with a dark blue background is unique (in my dock) so I know not to activate it by accident. Typing the space makes NeoJ ask me before it closes this doc. Using this technique it is nearly impossible to quit NeoJ accidentally. Even trying to quit NeoJ from it's own menu causes the dummy document to jump out of the dock with a warning (Don't Close Me!) and the little dialog with an option to cancel:)

-- asxless
steve
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Neooffice palette?

asxless wrote:
Here is a simple workaround that I use. It is a variant of other posts here and on other fora....

I launch NeoJ by opening a dummy Writer document (...)
-- asxless

Yes, this is a good but old idea. The palette adds something more: the ability to open new documents.

Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Neooffice palette?

steve wrote:
Yes, this is a good but old idea. The palette adds something more: the ability to open new documents.
If you (or others) want a NeoJ "palate application" why not join the open source developer community and write one yourself? That's the beauty of open source -- nothing is stopping anyone from contributing.

In case you hadn't noticed, there are very, very few OOo Mac developers and they have to prioritize their efforts carefully. IMHO this small group of developers are focusing on exactly what they should be doing -- providing the functionality of the premier open source office suite to Mac users.

FWIW I've been using OOo since well before the release of the OOo X11 public Beta and have _never_ seen any benefit of using the various "palate" applications. They simply don't do anything that I can't do without them. IMHO they are a distraction to the developer, tester and support community. But then I only invested nearly 6 man-months beta testing and supporting the OOo v1.0.3 X11 release -- so I may be a little biased;)

BTW the ability to "open new documents" in NeoJ is trivial to implement using the OS X Finder & Dock. You simply place a folder in your dock which contains a document for each of the OOo modules and set them as a "Stationery Pad" using the built-in OS X Get Info functionality. You can even leave this folder open on the desktop with any size icon and arrangement you like. The more creative folks can change the folder's icon to resemble an application, etc.

-- asxless
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1