Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Still interested in helping
Still interested in helping

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
static
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Still interested in helping

Hi guys! I haven't been completely idle since mentioning I'd like to help. I bought two books when I realized how little I knew about mac programming (after offering to help) and I'm making my way through them. I look forward to helping out!
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Static,

Glad that you are interested in helping. Any assistance you can provide would be welcome. Donations are welcome too! You don't have to be a programer to help - Testing and/or reviewing Bug reports is something that most people can start with.
Even answering questions on the fourms is a great help (at least that is what "they" said, before I responding Surprised (grin/joke) ). Frees up more time for our Crack Team of Developers to work on code problems.

It you are into reading, there is lots of information and background details in the NeoWiki. I'm always finding something new (OK, Sardisson usually points it out to me! Razz ).

Let us know how we can help your research and welcome aboard.

Philip ( "Livin La Vida Loca" - Neo style! Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

If you want to dip into the programming side of things, it's not pretty work but it can be useful to hunt and bugfix. The OOo build system doesn't really use lots of Mac OS X standard tools, it uses its own, and has its own learning curve.

Another alternative may be to look into the bibus issues mentioned in this topic. I've not delved into the python-uno binding mentioned in there and don't know any of the technical details.

There's also potential separate projects that don't involve OOo or Neo code directly including the envelope address book plugin (totally new development) and potentially adding support to NL to index Base files (it's an XCode project and has a much less steep learning curve).

ed
static
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject:

Yep - definately the programming side of things for me. Unfortunately, at the moment, I only have an intel mac to test things on, but I still need to get deeper into Xcode and cocoa before I'll be too much help. I already know C/C++ and some gdb.

My goal is to be one of the primary intel-build debuggers, so I've been reading like a madman. I don't want to jump in too early and end up slowing everyone down with n00b questions...

By the way, Lemon - I donated Wink and probably will again to get the intel alpha. I've been convincing family to buy macs and donate a bit too, then once they do I install it for them!

Last edited by static on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

static wrote:
Yep - definately the programming side of things for me. Unfortunately, at the moment, I only have an intel mac to test things on, but I still need to get deeper into Xcode and cocoa before I'll be too much help. I already know C/C++ and some gdb.

My goal is to be one of the primary intel-build debuggers, so I've been reading like a madman. I don't want to jump in too early and end up slowing everyone down with n00b questions...

If you already are comfortable with C/C++ and gdb, I don't think you need to worry about XCode as the Neo build is a command-line build using makefiles and it does not use XCode at all. You only need to have the appropriate version of XCode installed because the XCode installer is what installs the gcc command-line compiler that the Neo build uses.

Patrick
static
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

But it is all tied in closely with cocoa and Interface Builder, isn't it? Either way I'm making great progress, so it shouldn't be long before I jump in.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

static wrote:
But it is all tied in closely with cocoa and Interface Builder, isn't it? Either way I'm making great progress, so it shouldn't be long before I jump in.

No, Neo is not tied to Cocoa and Interface Builder at all. There is a little Cocoa, but very, very little. Most of the Cocoa code is buried with the JVM. Also, there is no GUI builder tools that are used (or even can be used) for NeoOffice. Instead, we use OpenOffice.org's cross-platform widget toolkit which is basically a custom equivalent to the Java AWT APIs. In other words, we implemented the OpenOffice.org widget toolkit like Apple implement Java AWT's. All of the application code that positions buttons and other widgets uses the OOo widget toolkit and not a visual tool like Interface Builder.

Patrick
static
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Wow! In that case I'll brush up on the more advanced command-line gdb features rather than the cocoa/IB stuff I was reading.

How's the EAP going for the intel release? Well, I hope. Next paycheck I'll donate again to get it.

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

static wrote:
<snip>

By the way, Lemon - I donated Wink and probably will again to get the intel alpha. I've been convincing family to buy macs and donate a bit too, then once they do I install it for them!

THANK You on both accounts.

Now that Neo Intel has been released you can really help. "Some" of us don't have Intel Macs (YET!) but there will be a lot to test.

And your dontation, and SUPPORT, are much appreciated! Very Happy

Philip (Life is good! with Neo2.OH! Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Instead, we use OpenOffice.org's cross-platform widget toolkit which is basically a custom equivalent to the Java AWT APIs. In other words, we implemented the OpenOffice.org widget toolkit like Apple implement Java AWT's.

This is why it's not "a few hours work" to "make the UI look like a Mac app" that some people show up to rant about Evil or Very Mad

Patrick's already given you the meat, but there's a little bit more info in the NeoOffice and Aqua FAQ in the wiki.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1