Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Importing data into NeoOffice base
Importing data into NeoOffice base

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hjd
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Importing data into NeoOffice base

I have a filemaker pro database that I have tried to get into NeoOffice base.
I first tried exporting to a tab delimited file, then a dbase file.
In each case, I can't seem to figure out how to get the data into a Base file.
Tried "registering" both text and dbase, but there doesn't appear to be any place to point to the file name; only the directory that it resides in.
I tried just plain making a Base, but I don't see how to import the data. There must be something simple I'm missing.

Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

A few words, from memory, without even lauching Neo (not a serious approach, I know) :
• open the data source pane,
• Create a new one,
• select the right type (text file or dBase),
• browse the file,
• tweak the settings to get it in,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Import Data

Hello there,
i also use Filemaker and found a way to import data to NeoOffice by exporting filemakter data as a html-table. Neooffice is able to import from that file.
The Problem is, that you have to repeat the procedure with every change in the filemaker database and that you store all the data twice.
But anyhow, it seems to work.

there must be a better way by using JDBC or ODBC drivers, but I haven´t figured out yet. Concerning this i could need some help myself!
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing data into NeoOffice base

Hi hjd

hjd wrote:
I have a filemaker pro database that I have tried to get into NeoOffice base. I first tried exporting to a tab delimited file, then a dbase file.
In each case, I can't seem to figure out how to get the data into a Base file.
Tried "registering" both text and dbase, but there doesn't appear to be any place to point to the file name; only the directory that it resides in.

NeoOffice takes when importing text/dbase only directories as "database files", and then each file in that directory as one database table. As your FileMaker database obviously is only one table (= one FileMaker file), you simply select the directory, and then the tab/dbase file represents your only table in your database.

Seems weird, but if you have several related FileMaker files (like in a "classic" relational database), you may export all of them into one directory and import them together into one Base database.

BTW, my experiences tell me, that the best export format from FileMaker is MS Excel, which can also be imported as database in Base. No problems with encoding & line feeds there.

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Importing data into NeoOffice base

doctype wrote:

BTW, my experiences tell me, that the best export format from FileMaker is MS Excel, which can also be imported as database in Base. No problems with encoding & line feeds there.

Martin

Hi,

Personally, I have used CSV as export format from FMPro, because otherwise you can't export multi-valued fields properly. At least with CSV, you get all of the values exported into comma separated fields, that you can then import into an existing OOoBase with a corresponding structure, or open as Calc, edit in the way you want, and then import into Base.

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get JDBC or ODBC connections to FMPro working yet from within Neo/OOo, and I suspect that this is in fact a limitation of the ODBC driver supplied for FMPro.

Alex
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Importing data into NeoOffice base

Alex wrote:
Personally, I have used CSV as export format from FMPro, because otherwise you can't export multi-valued fields properly. At least with CSV, you get all of the values exported into comma separated fields, that you can then import into an existing OOoBase with a corresponding structure, or open as Calc, edit in the way you want, and then import into Base.

Ah, interesting! I haven't met this problem so far, will check it out.

Alex wrote:
Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get JDBC or ODBC connections to FMPro working yet from within Neo/OOo, and I suspect that this is in fact a limitation of the ODBC driver supplied for FMPro.

Me neither (and from conversations here & Google research, apparently nobody else), but I'm still on it. If I ever get it work, I'll post it in the forum & probably in the wiki. If you ever get it work, please let the forum know.

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Importing data into NeoOffice base

doctype wrote:

Ah, interesting! I haven't met this problem so far, will check it out.

Yes, if you export multivalued fields to dbf, you will only get the first value. If you export to XLS, you will get the all of the possible values separated by separator character that ressembles a square, but which is really difficult to search and replace (Apple seems to use two different characters for this for some odd reason).

doctype wrote:

Me neither (and from conversations here & Google research, apparently nobody else), but I'm still on it. If I ever get it work, I'll post it in the forum & probably in the wiki. If you ever get it work, please let the forum know.

Martin

Well, I'll keep working at it, but I'm doing my tests with OOo, becaise I don't have room for both Neo and OOo together on my hard disk.

I used to be registered here somewhere, I'll have to try and find under what name/e-mail address combo again.

Alex
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1