Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - performance/response to user input
performance/response to user input

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotsopoulos
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: performance/response to user input

I've installed both neooffice/j and OOo/X11 on my (relatively) new G4 iBook, 800MHz, 256MB RAM.

Now that I think I've exhausted the possiblities for improving the way fonts look under X11 (terrible) I'm turning to the neoofice forums to see if I can speed up the performance of neooffice/j (annoyingly slow)

Is there anything that can help? Where are the performance bottlenecks?
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject:

Put more RAM in your iBook! That's a benefit for all programs and Mac OS X itself Wink

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject:

You are using NeoOffice/J 0.8 I hope. My experience on both my G4 PowerMac (3 years old) and my wife's G3 PowerMac (4 years old) is that NeoJ 0.8 runs a slight bit slower than OOo 1.0.3 X11.

If you are comparing NeoJ to OOo 1.1 X11, then you are comparing apples and oranges since Sun made all sorts of performance enhancements in the OOo 1.1 code that did not exist in the much slower OOo 1.0.3 code.

Patrick
Pinolo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I agree with schlesi. RAM is the way to go. I have an iBook just like yours, but with 640M RAM. Here the performance of NO/J 0.8 is accettable and, like Patrick says, comparable with OOo 1.0.3 X11.
nedrichards
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject:

Having tested 1.0 and 1.1 on pretty much every platform they can run on I think it's safe to say that the 1.1 codebase is *mises* faster, more user friendly and stable. I can only echo the need for more RAM. I've got 512mb RAM on my 800Mhz g4 and things run much more nippily than with 256. OS X just loves RAM.
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject:

RAM is, currently, your best bet. OOo 1.0.3 and Neo/J (any version I've installed) run much faster on my 500MHz G3 iMac w/512 RAM than on my 600MHz G3 iBook w/128 RAM. The upgrade to Panther and then the Java update release several weeks ago really improved performance of Neo/J (I stopped using the X11 release a few months ago because Neo/J is now fast enough for me).
amake
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I have the same machine as the original poster, and due to some mix ups with Crucial I was running it with only 256MB of RAM for a good month or so.

It was torture.

Grab a 512MB piece from Crucial (excellent brand, competitive price: ~$100). Your iBook will thank you.

A more detailed explanation of why RAM is so important follows:

OS X likes to use lots of RAM. If you look at Activity Monitor right after booting up, you'll see that there is very little of your 256MB of RAM still free. Every app you use decreases the free RAM count further. When you run out, unused data in the RAM is "paged out" to the hard drive (which is slow). When your RAM is full and you go to launch something big and RAM-hungry, like Neo/J, your computer has to simultaneously page out and load Neo/J, making things feel ridiculously slow. If you have more RAM you will be able to load more apps, and you will have to page out less.
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject:

amake wrote:
When your RAM is full and you go to launch something big and RAM-hungry, like Neo/J, your computer has to simultaneously page out and load Neo/J, making things feel ridiculously slow. If you have more RAM you will be able to load more apps, and you will have to page out less.

It should be no surprize that this is how any Unix system (such as Solaris) works. By "page out" he means copy to disk. Disk drives are the slowest thing in the computer system by several orders of magnitude.

The difference being that OS X lets you know when paging is occurring by placing a pretty little spinning wheel on your screen.
chris c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: yahoooooooo!!

0.8.1 runs just dandy on my old beat to hell G3 Wallstreet! So well as a matter of fact that it has just now replaced by Brand X install of 1.0.3.

The weird thing is and it is probably particular to my gear..... it runs like a dog on my desktop. And the desktop has double the RAM and a faster drive and processor.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: yahoooooooo!!

chris c wrote:
The weird thing is and it is probably particular to my gear..... it runs like a dog on my desktop. And the desktop has double the RAM and a faster drive and processor.

Have you run the "top" command in a Terminal window to see if some other process is hogging CPU (or if NeoJ is the culprit)?

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: yahoooooooo!!

pluby wrote:
chris c wrote:

Have you run the "top" command in a Terminal window to see if some other process is hogging CPU (or if NeoJ is the culprit)?

Patrick

yup I have and there is nothing else hoggin cycles. But honestly I am pretty sure that it is the desktop hardware preparing to puke. It has been acting oddly and no amount of maintenence seems to make it run any faster. I have noticed it slowing down over time, nothing I can really put my finger on just an overall degrade in performence like it has something running in the background that is sucking up a bunch of the juice. But nothing shows in TOP or process viewer.

to give you an idea of what I am talking about...

on my 300Mhz Wallstreet w/256 RAM running 10.2.8 the new Neo/J kicks over in 38 seconds.

On the desktop which is a 450Mhz B&W w/512 RAM running 10.3.2 it takes a minute and 28 seconds to kick over Neo/j.

I am not going to trip on it since I plan on tearing the desktop down and doing a bunch of maintenence and then a reformat and reinstall in the next 60 days anyway.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1