· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - trinity overheating + /. rant
trinity overheating + /. rant

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: trinity overheating + /. rant

OK, well today was a rather hot day in SB and hit 90 degree +. Regardless, a fan on trinity failed and so the server was offline for a while. Both a CPU fan and case fan have been acting up for a while. Under normal load they seem fine, but summertime + a /.ing seem to cause them to fail Wink

Unfortunately the trinity "hotspare" is a machine that would easily melt under the loads that cause the existing server to fail.

And people wonder why we have the "audacity" to ask for money. /. melts our servers while posts clamor for free torrents of something that'll be free in just 2 weeks time. And some asshat is like "just one person pay and we can set up a torrent for everyone to get it for free!".

Crap man, get some perspective. Although I spent months praying to the baby Jesus, never have I had the tooth fairy deliver a new server. If you feel you need to "stick it to the man" and save $25, go pirate M$ Office 2004. Just go on EFNet and join macwarez. It's not that difficult to pirate MS Office. Regardless of all the hype, it's painless to obtain M$ Office for free through a number of channels, whether it be IRC or your friendly office IT guy. If all you care about is not paying for software, who cares whether it's legal or not?

Plus, if you pirate office, you'll also get a much more functional product in the long run. In terms of both features and Mac OS X integration, MS Office wins over any other competitor hands down. Although it's illegal, pirating Office is still the best bang for your lack-of-buck you can get.

If you got a new Mac, well you're already spent $500+ for your spanking new MacIntel box plus exclusive OS X Intel license. If after that expense you can't wait two weeks or can't pony up $25 for EAP, get your head out of your ass and realize your argument is lame.

If you want everything for free in the first place, why in the hell are you using Macs and OS X? Mac OS X has never been free and never will. It's never been possible to hand-build a Macintosh from just parts and it never will be.

Go take a long hard look at the foundation of the horsetrougth from which you're feeding and re-evaluate your "moral" position over an amount of money that can't even purchase a frigging latte in London.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject:

Vout (as Slim Gaillard would say...) - as I've said over in the /. it's all about "I want this right now for free" which really just means "I want someone other than me to pay the price for this". These people need to grow up, and stop pretending that they have the moral/altruistic high ground through their affiliation with opensource.

- padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject:

Well, it was a rant on my part, and I can definitely empathize with the "GPL = free as in beer" mindset. I myself could stand to donate more to OpenBSD, for example, but I can continue to run the servers from last year without cost. It makes a lot of sense as a customer until the software you've grown to rely on has been discontinued Sad
ed
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: New Server Fan

Ed, you should get some of these new server fans....

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=16992&ch=infotech
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

It's so not even worth responding to the morons who are just whining on /. about demanding free-as-in-beer stuff.

Whoever posted that bittorrent thing was beyond clueless. Obviously the idea of "pirating" Neooffice for two weeks via bittorrent makes absolutely no sense.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Server Fan

MacRat wrote:
Ed, you should get some of these new server fans....

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=16992&ch=infotech

Haha! That's awesome. Seems like a waste of power for an old dual P2 server tho Smile I'll probably take

Yeah, while I agree it's not worth responding to morons (which is why I didn't post it to /. proper), I was more ranting due to the server giving me flak so just targeted folks who expect open source is always free (after all, how many millions does Sun spend on OOo developers each year?).

Oh yeah, and after hosting a party on Thursday I did get free beer. Quite a bit of Michelob. I suppose it was on sale. I hate Michelob. Sometimes no beer is even better than free beer Wink

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Server Fan

OPENSTEP wrote:
Sometimes no beer is even better than free beer Wink

Well, if you're a meat-eater you could always stuff the michelob up a turkey's backside as instructed by Chef Tako...

- padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject:

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

I too recommend against thawing in the microwave...go cooking with barley and hops it works really well Very Happy

ed

/is PBR in a bottle a sin?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

/is PBR in a bottle a sin?

no
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1