Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)
icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Waldo wrote:
I presume this is July 15th, ya?

No. I don't throw anything new into release builds in the last two weeks before a release. The release will be in the first week of August.

Patrick

Ackkk! I didn't see my earlier typo. Yes, July 15th is the deadline for the icons and images. I thought you were asking if I was going to release the Aqua Beta EAP on July 15th.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
If we want Neo icons in the app and in the toolbar (and I think we do), those need to be PNGs. I need to finish testing and verifying icon cvs locations for all of these (OOo duplicates icons a lot for some reason), but I'm pretty sure I have them nailed. It's just tedious to manually check each one Wink

PNGs? Really? I just did the following command and I only came up with a handful of PNG files:

Code:
find /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents -name "*.png"

However, when I do a search for BMP files with the following command, I get a large number of files:

Code:
find /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents -name "*.bmp"

Another thing, I don't care about where the icons reside in OOo CVS as I am not going to patch the OOo build (I have no intention of rebuilding OOo that late in my development cycle). Instead, I just need to know where the files are in a NeoOffice installation as I will merely copy in the custom icons and splash screen in the installer portion of my build.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

Also something to note: Aqua is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. so we should include appropriate trademark disclaimers where appropriate. See list at:

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/appletmlist.html

A refresher:

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

I don't think it's in any of the splashes and about boxes and may just affect webpages.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I don't think it's in any of the splashes and about boxes and may just affect webpages.

Good point. None of the images should have version numbers in them as it is a pain to maintain.

I have preemptively added the OpenOffice.org and Aqua trademark references to http://www.neooffice.org/ and the same references will be in the updated web pages on planamesa.com that I willing be pushing in the next day or so.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:
If we want Neo icons in the app and in the toolbar (and I think we do), those need to be PNGs. I need to finish testing and verifying icon cvs locations for all of these (OOo duplicates icons a lot for some reason), but I'm pretty sure I have them nailed. It's just tedious to manually check each one Wink

PNGs? Really? I just did the following command and I only came up with a handful of PNG files:

Code:
find /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents -name "*.png"

They live inside NeoOffice.app/Contents/share/config/images.zip

pluby wrote:
Another thing, I don't care about where the icons reside in OOo CVS as I am not going to patch the OOo build (I have no intention of rebuilding OOo that late in my development cycle). Instead, I just need to know where the files are in a NeoOffice installation as I will merely copy in the custom icons and splash screen in the installer portion of my build.

I guess we'll get them for 2.0 RC, then Wink

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I guess we'll get them for 2.0 RC, then Wink

Huh? If there are replacement images for the share/config/images.zip file, there is no need to change the OOo portion of the build. Just tell me which of your image files go into share/config/images.zip. I will just modify my installer build to unzip the existing images.zip, copy over the replacement images, and zip up the modified images.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have no intention of rebuilding OOo that late in my development cycle

But won't Beta be based on OpenOffice.org 2.0.3 ? So you will have to rebuild OOo, unless you've already got a 2.0.3 build, right ?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Quote:
I have no intention of rebuilding OOo that late in my development cycle

But won't Beta be based on OpenOffice.org 2.0.3 ? So you will have to rebuild OOo, unless you've already got a 2.0.3 build, right ?

I am already rebuilding OOo 2.0.3 right now and after that I won't do it again within the same release.

My point is that I don't stop for three days to rebuild OOo if I don't have to. After if, I can't fix bugs and work on new code if my build is stuck for three days in an OOo rebuild. The Neo build style is designed to minimize the rebuilding which is why I replace OOo files in the installer portion of the build.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

I too work in a similar way. I do a full build but after that just work on an individual module basis (e.g. replacing individual shared libraries and resource files, not the whole shebang). It's really the only way to work with something this large which, thankfully (or unfortunately), is split up into a jumble of dozens of shared libraries.

I'm also in the OOo rebuild phase right now. Generally, we only shift the underlying OOo version at major releases since building for no reason is just a pain in the neck Sad

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

I see. I thought you weren't rebuilding OOo just now.

I haven't rebuilt Neo recently; if I update my HEAD build and invoke make, I suppose it will try to rebuild OOo as well?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

Yes, if you update HEAD right now and rebuild you'll need to start from scratch...

HEAD has moved onto OOo 2.0.3 source code. Our build system isn't "smart" enough to trigger a full refresh of the underlying OOo build with changes to the tags, so you'll need to remove and restart from scratch. We have to do this each time we change the underlying OOo version, which is another reason we don't change it that often Very Happy

If you're working on individual neo modules, beware as updating the modules may introduce code that only compiles on 2.0.3 (e.g. the svapp changes in VCL).

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

I have fallen a bit behind in my announcements, so thanks Ed for explaining the CVS changes occurring.

Note: if you want to stay with building the current release and any patches that may come out, cvs update -rNeoOffice-2_0_Alpha_4_branch in your neojava directory. This won't change any files if you haven't cvs updated in the last 24 hours but it will ensure that you don't pollute your Alpha 4 build with the lastest HEAD changes.

If I create any Alpha 4 patches, the code will be committed on the NeoOffice-2_0_Alpha_4_branch branch. In essence, the NeoOffice-2_0_Alpha_4_branch branch is the Alpha 4 maintenance branch.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:

OK thanks.

I have an OOo 2.0.2 source tarball in my $NEO_HOME directory.

So, once I have the latest code from CVS, I can replace the tarball with the 2.0.3 tarball, delete the unxmacxp.pro and unxmacxp.pro.oo diretories and invoke make ?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

You'll need to actually nuke your entire neojava/build subdirectory, essentially getting rid of the entire OOo build. When upgrading OOo versions, the entire OOo source must be blown away first, un-tarred (or CVS co'd), repatched with the Neo patches, then rebuilt.

Note: I most likely will also be making further changes to the OOo patches for NWF that will also trigger a rebuild, so don't be surprised if this may need to happen a few more times before Aqua Beta.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

OK. So I get rid of neojava/build, place the new tarball in $NEO_HOME, and rebuild. Anything else I need to do ?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22