Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Question about Fonts in 2.0 Aqua...
Question about Fonts in 2.0 Aqua...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Question about Fonts in 2.0 Aqua...

I just want to thank the developers for all their hard work on this project... I just read the whole 14 pages of this thread. Now my question...

From looking at the screen shots, I noticed that items from the menu bar make use of LucidaGrande, most of the rest of NeoOffice uses another font (Tahoma? Verdana?).

Of course, I know this is probably of the lowest priority, but are there any plans to use LucidaGrande more in NeoOffice to give it even more of a "OS X" type look?

Thanks for letting me share my observation, and keep up the good work!
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Fonts in 2.0 Aqua...

Guest wrote:
From looking at the screen shots, I noticed that items from the menu bar make use of LucidaGrande, most of the rest of NeoOffice uses another font (Tahoma? Verdana?).

Of course, I know this is probably of the lowest priority, but are there any plans to use LucidaGrande more in NeoOffice to give it even more of a "OS X" type look?

I'd say it's Bitstream Vera Sans, and I'm also very curious of the answer for the Lucida-question.

Martin
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Fonts in 2.0 Aqua...

doctype wrote:
I'd say it's Bitstream Vera Sans, and I'm also very curious of the answer for the Lucida-question.

It used to be in 1.x that if you went to preferences and replaced Bitstream Vera Sans with Lucida Grande that your UI would switch as well. Of course, that meant no Bitstream Vera in documents either, but I never cared much for the font anyway....

I just tried substituting it in Neo 2.a4 but it does not look like that did the trick...

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Right now I haven't looked at replacement of the UI font in the aqua beta stuff. That is one of the things that will need to be tested. Ideally all of the new things I'm adding are dynamically sizing and should accommodate any change to the user interface font.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

We talked about the UI font replacement issue shortly after 2.0 Alpha 1 came out, but I don't think we came to any conclusion on what font to replace these days. Maybe it's still Andale Sans UI?

Patrick did point out that he had massively tweaked the OOo default font file to select appropriate fonts for each locale (yes, OOo does it per locale!), so things should be "better" now.

Edit: Yep, regardless of what font is in use, the font you enter in the replacement table is still/back to Andale Sans UI. I just got that to work. OTOH, I've always found that Lucida Grande only looks nice at certain specific point sizes (the ones Apple has chosen to use for Mac OS X UI!) and it doesn't look very good at the sizes used by OOo for UI Razz

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:

I remember all this from the v1.x discussion - how do you substitute Andale Sans UI with Lucida Grande if Andale Sans UI doesn't show up in your fonts list? Do you have to d/l it from somewhere and install it in OSX?

Or am I misunderstanding your post - are you selecting Andale Sans UI in your build?

*edit* oh, I just read this over at openoffice.org which explains the Andale scenario...

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Just type it manually, as you've discovered Wink

I've just update our wiki article with the proper steps.

I've also overhauled that article in general and added a new section about icon sets. I haven't really been keeping track of who has sample sets where, so if you have a set, or use a set from somewhere, please add it to the new section at the bottom Smile

(If only Punto Mac's sets were online Sad )

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I remember now the problem with substituting Lucida Grande in OOo/Neo is that the OOo code doesn't kern it very well (Andale left, Lucida right):

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Note that's not actually Andale Sans on the left; depending on your UI locale, it could be any number of fonts. In many Roman locales I think the default is Helvetica or Arial, though I'll have to dig out the file to check.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Note that's not actually Andale Sans on the left; depending on your UI locale, it could be any number of fonts. In many Roman locales I think the default is Helvetica or Arial, though I'll have to dig out the file to check.

Well, I use the Dutch locale and I just found out that if you replace
"Andale Sans UI" (OOo will not autocomplete it) with Lucida Grande your UI fonts does change. But maybe not for every locale...

Anyway, I'll just see how it goes. From what I can tell from the preferences section, the kerning is not that bad Smile.

Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Well, I use the Dutch locale and I just found out that if you replace
"Andale Sans UI" (OOo will not autocomplete it) with Lucida Grande your UI fonts does change. But maybe not for every locale...

"Andale Sans UI" is the font you replace in every locale. The font that's actually in use when you *don't do font replacement* is the one that varies by locale. Wink Roman-based locales use Helvetica or Arial, Japanese locales use a Japanese font, etc. That's what I meant earlier....

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

...and in any case, Lucida Grande kerns badly, so that's a good reason for not using it, OSX default-font regardless Confused

- padmavyuha
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1