· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - GUI Icon Redesign
GUI Icon Redesign

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Well done

Having been involved with this sort of stuff for about a year, I applaud you Punto Mac. Well done. A nice set, and a lot of work getting to this point. I imagine there must be 100 or so you could still extract to do service in Neo 2? Or are there enough to make a feasible set?[OpenOffice.org 2 uses about 800 I think, so NeoOffice 2 likewise]
I won't ask any awkward questions about licences and apple programs, since what we are doing here is merely testing, feasability studies. Too much information Smile.
IS there any easier way to extraxt them eg from developer kits, do you think? I have just downloaded xcode 2.2.1 and would be happy to have a look around if I knew what to look for Wink

Peter
Punto Mac

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

There aren't enough icons to make a feasible set. They must be created from the rest to maintain coherence. As I am not a developer, I do not have installed the Developer's Tools in my computer. So I have not been able to look for icons in those applications.

Generic Mac OS X application Toolbar Icons are saved (mostly) in TIFF format, some in PNG. Apple Pro Apps saves them in layered PSDs (each layer with a different button state of the icons). Sometimes have a 'stb' or 'tb' prefix/suffix in the file name (e.g. stb_zoom.tif).

-------------------------

I have made a slightly update to the iApps partial icon set: Added some icons and a new 24x24 version.
Now NeoIconer replaces 340 icons. Very Happy

http://homepage.mac.com/punto_mac/iApps.zip
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

So I suppose you extracted most of your icons from actual application packages (i.e. selected an iApp > Ctrl-click > Show Package Contents) ?

Peter, I both agree and disagree with you. We're just trying to know if using these icons with NeoOffice would be feasible. However, we have to make sure that we have the right to put them in Neo, otherwise we're getting excited for nothing.

Moreover, I believe that there must be some sort of copyright protecting icons used by Apple in their own commercial software, so if he really extracted them this way, we probably won't be allowed to use this set in NeoOffice. Before we actually start gathering other icons to complete the set, and ask Punto Mac to do Photoshop work in favor of this project, I think we should determine whether we could or could not use them.

Edit : A quick Spotlight search came up with 163 "Resources" folders on my Mini. I do not think that Spotlight indexes inside application packages, so hopefully we should be able to use them. It's a bit late now, so I'll wait till tomorrow to see if I can figure it out as you don't seem to be interested in dealing with licenses and the such ...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Peter, I both agree and disagree with you. We're just trying to know if using these icons with NeoOffice would be feasible. However, we have to make sure that we have the right to put them in Neo, otherwise we're getting excited for nothing.

Moreover, I believe that there must be some sort of copyright protecting icons used by Apple in their own commercial software, so if he really extracted them this way, we probably won't be allowed to use this set in NeoOffice.

Absolutely, the Apple icons are not GPL and could never be imported into Neo cvs. So we could not ship this set as part of NeoOffice based on that alone.

There's probably no harm in using the set personally, but any concerted non-official distribution might still run afoul of Apple Legal Sad

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Samwise wrote:

Moreover, I believe that there must be some sort of copyright protecting icons used by Apple in their own commercial software, so if he really extracted them this way, we probably won't be allowed to use this set in NeoOffice.

Absolutely, the Apple icons are not GPL and could never be imported into Neo cvs. So we could not ship this set as part of NeoOffice based on that alone.

There's probably no harm in using the set personally, but any concerted non-official distribution might still run afoul of Apple Legal Sad

Smokey

I quite agree with you both, Smokey and Sam. My delight was selfish and personal Smile I could see that individuals - like me Wink - might experiment with these icons. I never expected that we could make them part of an "official" distribution linked to NeoOffice. However, I wouldn't want Punto Mac to give up on this, because we have to keep checking out how a family of icons might look. Some of these icons are probably OK licence-wise, most probably are not. But it does help us decide what we like eg is this type of icon preferable to Crystal [aka KDE] or Industrial [aka Gnome stock] or Tango - or Oxygen, when we get it?

I see this work as very much experimental. If there are any lawyers from Apple reading this and sharpening their pencils: let us get on with our experimenting, which is after all based around eventually getting a better OSS office suite for OS X, playing around with options - and then not publishing until we have a licence clearance.

Peter
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Grin,

I think I just saw an unhappy lawyer putting down his pencil. Crying or Very sad

I agree with Peter that this is just experimental playing. What we learn from this will increase our knowledge about icons in general. And help us evaluate different families of icons as options for NeoOffice.

Philip ( NO licences were broken or harmed during the writing of this message Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject:

Some interesting news today on the Aqua-ish icons front: the raw .psd/.ai sources for the "Pinstripe" theme (the default Firefox theme) have been released under the tri-license (MPL/LGPL/GPL), so we can now use them to create icons.

I'm not very fond of the theme overall (I much prefer the Camino iconography, naturally, and the early versions of Pinstripe over the current one), but there are some nice Aqua elements in there we can legally crib and combine and whatnot Smile

If we were not so far along in the process (and were I not so tired of digging through folders in search of icons), I'd add the folder icon from Pinstripe to the set of toolbar icons we're replacing for Neo 2.0 Aqua Beta. It sure looks better than the ugly yellow one....

Thanks to Kevin and Stephen for doing this...it should be a big help for folks (like us) trying to cobble together an Aqua icon set....

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Some interesting news today on the Aqua-ish icons front: the raw .psd/.ai sources for the "Pinstripe" theme (the default Firefox theme) have been released under the tri-license (MPL/LGPL/GPL), so we can now use them to create icons.

Thanks to Kevin and Stephen for doing this...it should be a big help for folks (like us) trying to cobble together an Aqua icon set....

Smokey

Thanks Smokey
Actually, these appear to have influenced the Tango icons to some extent [or vice versa]. They may serve to fill in a couple of gaps in the Tango "set", such as it is [still well under 100 icons at last count, unfort'y]. So it's a useful resource for our experiments. Smile

Peter
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
Actually, these appear to have influenced the Tango icons to some extent [or vice versa]. They may serve to fill in a couple of gaps in the Tango "set", such as it is [still well under 100 icons at last count, unfort'y]. So it's a useful resource for our experiments. Smile

I think somewhere on the Tango page I read an explicit statement that the *stripe themes were an influence.

Unfortunately (in my opinion), the Tango folks were most influenced by the parts of Pinstripe I least like (and find most un-Mac-like) Wink

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15