NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing
OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: IA Followup

OK, I did some more research and the RC 1 installer is the latest update to IA Mac OS X Edition that's available from ZeroG. I think that their release notes links are just out of date Sad

I did some more searching through their online knowledge base but haven't encountered any solutions to our problem that I haven't already tried (updating IA, increasing heap size, using gifs instead of jpegs to workaround crashes reported by one OOo installer user). I noticed the following thread on IA's user boards of Panther users who have had problems with other companies' IA built installers as well:

http://community.zerog.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=404428805281ffff;act=ST;f=6;t=3010

So I added on my own note to the end trolling for suggestions on how to solve these installer freezes.

I also did a little unscientific testing with "top" to try and measure memory usage as the only common thread I can think of between all of these reports is swap space. Surprisingly, immediately after launch the VSIZE reported by top for the 111rc1 installer is slightly under 660 MB. For comparison, immediately after OOo 1.0.3 launches its VSIZE is only 163 MB. NeoJ 0.8.1 is up in the 800MB range. On the flip side, though, during the middle of installation the 111rc1 installer spikes up to 1.4GB+ usage, levels I've never seen needed even by NeoJ, which is codewise one of the largest apps I know of that has an embedded VM.

I suspect these memory requirements of the IA installer, when combined with people's swap drives that have less then 3 GB of room for an expanding swap, are what are causing the hangs.

Hopefully someone will be able to get back to me on the IA board with some advice Smile I just simply can't reproduce these issues myself. I may need to specifically make a partition that has less then 1GB of space available on the boot partition to test.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
sardisson wrote:
But I was unable to get the installer to completely "load"...the progress bar on the splash screen (as the installer is launching) gets to about 80% and then it quits under my main (admin) user. I have the OS's crash log, if that will be helpful.

Yes, please send along the crash log. This is similar to problems that other users have seen with the 1.0.3 installer.

I've uploaded the log here: http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/ooo/OOo111-installer-crash.txt. FWIW, I'm still not sure that the problem isn't something in my main user account, which seems to develop new bizarre quirks on a regular basis (today's is not being able to mount the iDisk from the Go menu), so I hope I'm not a red herring.

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the crash log. I forwarded it along to the developer support guy at ZeroG to see if he had any comments or suggestions. Offhand, this may actually be a problem with the Java 1.3 VM running on Panther. One of my crashes was also in the text drawing routines...although the most recent crash I have is in setting the window title for the installer (!).

I hope Abir will have some suggestions for us Smile

ed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject:

OK, I haven't seen any posts to this thread about 10.2 Jaguar. I have 10.2.8 and I'd like to test the installer and report on how it goes on my configuration...... But I really can't afford to nuke this hard disk at the moment, or even lose the (launched from xterm) version of OOo1.1.0 that I'm using. Does anyone have any reassurance they can offer me on Jaguar?

Cheers, Phil
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1fix3 Installer and Jaguar

Anonymous wrote:
OK, I haven't seen any posts to this thread about 10.2 Jaguar. I have 10.2.8 and I'd like to test the installer and report on how it goes on my configuration...... But I really can't afford to nuke this hard disk at the moment, or even lose the (launched from xterm) version of OOo1.1.0 that I'm using. Does anyone have any reassurance they can offer me on Jaguar?

Here is my experience (mainly for Ed's benefit).

I had a working (test) OOo 1.0.3 installation with X11.app Beta 3 and "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b8, on Mac OS X 10.2.6 (I also had other versions of OOo and XFree86 installed). I have both an Admin user installation, and a restricted Finder non-Admin user installation. I only tested the Admin user installation this time.

I used the OOo 1.1.1fix3 installer. It didn't offer to install anything other than OOo 1.1.1.

I will note there are some errors in the ReadMe and splash screen that we will have to fix before GM.

Anyway, installation proceeded without problem.

But launching OOo 1.1.1b with "Start OpenOffice.org" didn't work (I also discovered a minor bug with "Start OpenOffice.org" related to doing the OOo upgrade). "soffice" crashed, and the information provided by "Start OpenOffice.org" (albeit not always reliably) was :

Code:
dyld: /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.1/program/soffice.bin version mismatch for library: /usr/X11R6/freetype.6.dylib (compatibility version of user: 6.3.0 greater than library's version: 6.2.0)

I used to see this problem with trying to run OOo 1.0.3GM (or a version I built) on Mac OS X 10.1.x.

Ed, did you build OOo 1.1.1b on Panther or Jaguar?

Regards, Terry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: dylib hell

Right, sounds like there's no chance to get this baby running on Jaguar until it's recompiled with older libraries. That'd be true for any launch method - StartOOo, finder, xterm. So, I'll try later. Anyway, it's beer o'clock here.

Cheers, Phil
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1fix3 Installer and Jaguar

Terry, thanks for the feedback. It's incredibly helpful Smile

Terry Teague wrote:
Ed, did you build OOo 1.1.1b on Panther or Jaguar?

This build was made on my Jag partition with the appropriate gcc3 updates. I'll check what X11 environment is on that partition. Without rebooting, it looks like it's an early version of the Jag Apple X11 public beta that I was using for testing. I think that may provide that newer libfreetype version than what ships with XFree86 4.3.x.

IIRC when I boot off of a partition, that partition becomes the root device, so I don't think the Panther X11 on the other partition would be picked off for the -lfreetype flag.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1fix3 Installer and Jaguar

OPENSTEP wrote:
This build was made on my Jag partition with the appropriate gcc3 updates. I'll check what X11 environment is on that partition. Without rebooting, it looks like it's an early version of the Jag Apple X11 public beta that I was using for testing. I think that may provide that newer libfreetype version than what ships with XFree86 4.3.x.

Apparently the libfreetype problem is caused by a bug in XFree86 4.3.0 - see the XFree86 4.4.0 release announcement.

I will start using XFree86 4.4.0 soon.

Regards, Terry
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

I saw some problems in this forum regarding libdl. I don't know if it heps, but I posted issues 7949 and 26093 in OOo's IssueZilla that add libdl support into teh cws_srx645_ooo111fix3 build.

With these patches, building on Jaguar will produce an installation package that has libdl.0.dylib bundled with the "setup" executable and it will install libdl.0.dylib in the OOo installation directory.

I think that with these patches, you should be able to do away with installing libdl in your in the IA installer since it will already be in the OOo installation package.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject:

Hi -

Looks like the comment activity on this thread has died down - does this mean a final release of OO 1.1.1 for OS X is imminent? Anyone willing to disclose a date? Wink
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject:

I've been trying to extract answers out of ZeroG, but instead of answers they decided to set their sales team on me. Sigh. So I'm not sure if we can fix the installer crashes/freezes. They claim that it's because the Java VM on the target machine is corrupted, but I don't think that's right.

In the meantime I've been tracking down reports that I may need to change how I'm launching all the subinstallers and finding that some of the packages are no longer publicly available:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=423

This is important since the fundamentals are shared between the 103GM installer and the 111fix3 one currently posted.

ed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: making self-contained

Following on the comment higher up about having libdl in the OO application directory instead of /usr/local..... could this not also be done with fondu and ghostscript? yes, it would make the OO directory a bit 'fatter', but would (a) keep OO from spraying stuff all over the filesystem, (b) ensure the needed libraries/binaries were always available regardless of how the system may be configured, and (c) possibly reduce the need for an installer at all. I'd much prefer to drag a single item from a diskimage to /Applications, and know that it would be completely uninstalled by dragging it OUT of /Applications. Mozilla is the best example of this being well-implemented by a community project.

On a separate topic... could you not use Platypus to create a single application bundle wrapper around the entire OO installation directory to hide the clutter? I had thought about this some time ago, but just saw it implemented exactly as I had imagined by GIMP 2.0 for OS X (http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/).

Lastly, is the actual application 1.1.1fix3 the 'final' version, and only the installer is likely to change? I want to know if now is the time to start including this in the standard diskimage for my users (as an upgrade to 1.0.3) or should I wait?

Thanks,
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately other Unix applications have their own concept of hard-coded pathnames when they're built. Right now we aren't rebuilding them from source, but rather using their own QA'd binaries and aren't relocatable out of their expected install locations. OOo itself is fairly self contained within its /Applications/OOo directory (excpet for its preferences that live in each user's home directory). It's just that OOo need at least three-four additional applications to run, and those guys aren't self contained. X11 dumps itself all over the filesystem, for example and expects to have its requisite directories in /usr and /etc.

As to the OOo binary itself, no 111fix3 won't be the final released binary. The release candidate process for 1.1.1 Final is going on right now, so both the installer and the included binary will be changing.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: The fun begins...

OK, for all those who've tested the installer thanks oh so much. Your feedback is incredibly helpful Smile I've stared a build of 1.1.1. RC 3 and will hopefully be updating the installer soon to take into account the dlcompat, freetype, and other issues incountered (in addition to updating the binaries). My build commences and should be ready in a day or so.

Build environment:

- OS X 10.2.8
- XFree 4.2.0.1
- pluby dlcompat patches
- kevin java patches

That should address the freetype concerns. Here's hoping Terry's Jag build gets accepted as the tech preview!!!!

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: making self-contained

Anonymous wrote:
Lastly, is the actual application 1.1.1fix3 the 'final' version, and only the installer is likely to change? I want to know if now is the time to start including this in the standard diskimage for my users (as an upgrade to 1.0.3) or should I wait?

Hmm...funny...my reply didn't seem to make it in. Well, in short...

-- Putting everything inside of a single application bundle is difficult because we require multiple other applications (like X11/Ghostscript) that already have requirements for where they need to be installed Sad

-- Doing an Apple Installer...I'd love to do it and will check otu platypus. Our biggest problem is the requirement for user interaction during the install for choosing paper sizes, for example. Apple Installer just isn't set up to handle that case Sad

-- Final binary version...111fix3 is definitely not the final. There's a "111RC3" out now that will be the basis of any installer we make public. I'm compiling it now Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4