· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OS X - Panther and Open Office 1.1 Install
OS X - Panther and Open Office 1.1 Install

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: OS X - Panther and Open Office 1.1 Install

Hello,

I've just purchased my first Mac system (PowerBook G4) and I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.2. Under System Profiler, it states the Kernel Version is Darwin 7.2.0.

I have attempted to install OO using the generic installation instructions at http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html; however, I've been unsuccesful.

I've a lot of experience with Windows, but I'm a complete noob to the Mac world. If anyone could provide a link that provides step-by-step instructions for installing Open Office on Panther, it would be excellent.

Thanks!
Cody
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Cody,

The biggest thing is that right now 1.1 is an alpha quality package. For X11, use the 1.0.3 installer and it should work just fine.

Additionally, there is Neo/J which uses Java instead of X11. Both are pretty stable and functional.

If you'd like to run 1.1 I believe it is sorta possible, but I've not tried it, so someone smarter than me will have to answer that.

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject:

If you want to try out 1.1 and aren't familiar with X11 apps, the easiest way to get it up and running is probably to first run the OOo 1.0.3 installer (ooo103darwingm.dmg on the mirrors). That will make sure that you have all of the appropriate supporting applications on the computer needed to fully support OOo on OS X and do things like print. After that you can play around with 1.1 builds, and still have around 1.0.3 if something goes wrong Smile

ed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject:

Several months ago I installed Apple's X11 (then still in beta), OOo 1.03 and Start Open Office.org 1.b8 on a OS 10.2.8 volume on my dual 1.25 GHz MDD PM and it worked fine.

When Panther was released in Oct, I cloned my OS 10.2.8 volume to another disk and upgraded the cloned volume to Panther (now at 10.3.2). After that OOo won't start in Panther.

I see on the OOo site that version 1.1 is ready except for Mac. I find nothing that says that version 1.03 will or will not work with Panther.

When I updated to Panther, Apple's X11 is no longer a beta and the Darvin version is newer than the one in Jaguar. I installed the new X11.

Is my problem Panther, the later X11, the later Darwin or the Clone job? Should I be able to uninstall and reinstall v 1.03 and Start Open Office.org v 1.08b and on the Panther volume and expect it to work?

Your advice will be appreciated.

Louie
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: OS X - Panther and Open Office

Anonymous wrote:
Several months ago I installed Apple's X11 (then still in beta), OOo 1.03 and Start Open Office.org 1.b8 on a OS 10.2.8 volume on my dual 1.25 GHz MDD PM and it worked fine.

When Panther was released in Oct, I cloned my OS 10.2.8 volume to another disk and upgraded the cloned volume to Panther (now at 10.3.2). After that OOo won't start in Panther.

I see on the OOo site that version 1.1 is ready except for Mac. I find nothing that says that version 1.03 will or will not work with Panther.

When I updated to Panther, Apple's X11 is no longer a beta and the Darvin version is newer than the one in Jaguar. I installed the new X11.

Is my problem Panther, the later X11, the later Darwin or the Clone job? Should I be able to uninstall and reinstall v 1.03 and Start Open Office.org v 1.08b and on the Panther volume and expect it to work?

A couple of things - generally, moving an installation of OOo is not recommended; if you installed onto a disk that you still have, and your Panther boot volume is NOT the same as your Jaguar boot volume (doesn't seem to be the case here), then you need to create/update the ".sversionrc" file in your (new) home directory, to point to the OOo installation.

OOo 1.0.3, "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b8*, X11.app work just fine on Panther. So does OOo 1.1.x for that matter. *Except for one minor thing - if you use Panther's fast user switching, you will run into a problem with the second user trying to use OOo - there is a patch available.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject:

Terry:

Thanks very much for the tip! The .sversionrc file was there on the Panther volume after the cloning, but, as you surmised, it was not pointed in the right direction. It was not pretty but I got that done. I then found that Start Open Office.org, after it started, was set to use Darwin instead of X11. Resetting that put me back in business.

I would like to try Open Office.org v1.1, but the only downloads that I see are for Windows, Linux and Solaris. Could you point me to the one for Mac?

Regards,

Louie
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:

Louie,

Unfortunatly the 1.1 packages are in alpha stage, pretty much 'use at your own risk' type of deal.

they can be found on the OO.o site, however, just go to where you would download 1.0.3 and on some of the mirrors the 1.1 files are there.

I'd also recomend Neo/J, still 1.0.3, but no X11.

hope that helps,
-j
Pinolo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject:

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents in favour of 1.1.

I've been using it for a couple of months, before switching to NeoOffice/J, because of better integration with Aqua (and now also better launch time). But the build I tried is by far better than an "alpha stage" app.

From my experience, I'd encourage people to install and try it (keeping 1.0.3 as a failback option).
And I also look forward to see 1.1 land in NeoOffice/J
Norkle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Works for me

Hi Cody - we were in same situation - new G5's arrived next week and we wanted to use ooo1.1 as the rest of our office are on this version. We are still testing, but here is what I've found so far.

1. Install Apple's X11 for Panther.
The help files indicate this is on the CD's, but I couldn't find it, and the G5's came with a DVD anyway! Download the X11 package from Apple web site and run it (must be run locally, not from network). Takes a while to install, but I don't remember any options - it just installs itself.

2. Install OOo to user's Application directory.
This involves unzip'ing the files to somewhere, starting X, then running setup from the X11 Xterm (not the usual OS X term) and telling it to install to /users/<home>/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.0
This is a full install and must be performed for each user!
Do not do a -net install - we tried this at first but found OOo could not save files. It also complained during -net install the installation should be done as administrator - but we were administrator!

3. Get the latest 'Start OpenOffice.org' and install it. Start it and go to its preferences and change the X11 settings. It didn't like our -net installs but was happing with step 2 above when we installed to user's Application directory.

4. Setup printers
We are still on this step, and I am a bit unsure of what to do. The doc others have written confuses me a little, as it refers to CUPS as if it was alien to OS X, but CUPS is OS X's printing system, at least in OS X 10.3 (panther).

Cody if you are still watching this thread/forum I would be interested to hear what you have found.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1