· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Forum registration
Forum registration

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unregistered

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Forum registration

Hi,
Yesterday I registered as a new user to the forum, but 20+ hours have passed and I have still not received the activation mail.
I am 100% sure I entered the correct email address as well....

My nickname is: krmathis

Should I just keep waiting, or is this a "Fuzkd Server" problem?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

Check your junk mail folder to see if the registration arrived. Additionally, if you're using gmail or an ISP, your ISPs mail server may have blocked the e-mail. You may want to try a different e-mail account. Registration of course is totally optional...it just lets you post without doing math Smile

ed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:

I used my Gmail address. I have checked the Spam folder, but nothing there.
So I re-registered using a different email address.

How difficult can it be? Rolling Eyes

Without registration is out of the question (more than this of course), since it has several downsides:
* I can't track my own forum posts.
* The forum date/time is totally wrong.
* I have to do the math-thing on every post.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
So I re-registered using a different email address.

How difficult can it be? Rolling Eyes

e-mail is no longer (and never was) a guaranteed delivery mechanism for anything. We don't have the resources to go after every single ISP to figure out ways around their various spam-blocking measures. The problem isn't on our end...we implement SMTP properly. The bugs are on the receiving server that decides not to deliver the mail to its recipient for whatever reason.

ed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

Ok, I get your point.
Its just strange, cause afaik all of the 50+ mails I send/expect to receive each day (private and work) have successfully passed the mail servers I use.

Guess I just have to wait and see if this one come through...
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

It may be a looooong wait.

Because of all the email spam - many ISPs are greatly restricting what emails they accept. I have seen MANY sites completely ignore hotmail accounts due to the amout of spam that was coming from FREE email accounts.
TimeWarner is so nice that they will eliminate incoming emails automaticaly. Not in the Jumkmail folder - just GONE if you turn on some of their services.

The problem is worst for FREE email account (like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo (source of way to much SPAM) ) Crying or Very sad

You are better off trying to register from a different email account, say at work?
You can change your email account address AFTER you get registered.

Ed has worked very hard to get emails to new users, but he can't compete with Million dollars ISPs trying to protect thousands of users from the increasing SPAM problem.

It's your choice - but waiting probably will NOT resolve the problem if your ISP is ... helping you. Confused

Philip (It should be easy - but each day to gets harder to surf the Internet. Wink )

\I get paid to support users on computers - and I can barely keep up with all the changes Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ok, I simply give up!

I have registered to 20+ forum before, and NEVER missed an activation mail.
I have registered to NeoOffice with two different mail addresses, Gmail and .Mac. But the mails never come through!
How can this be an ISP issue?

<EDIT> Seems like I screwed up an edited the message instead of Quoteing. SORRY
LemonAid wrote:

Sorry that you are having so many problems.

This is not just an NeoOffice problem, or just you. Here is a link to TinkerTool for the Mac
They are very clear that there are problems and limitations about ordering items online:
Quote:
What should I consider when specifying my e-mail address?

Your e-mail address is very important because it is the only way we can deliver the product to you. For this reason you should make sure both your e-mail application and mail handling via your Internet service provider are working correctly.

A software license is an intangible good which is delivered to you electronically. If you are paying by credit or debit card without a signature, the participating financial institutions require for this type of delivery that we can prove in case of doubt whether the product was actually delivered to the legitimate owner of the card.
Quote:
For security reasons, certain e-mail providers that allow the registration of anonymous "throw-away" accounts can unfortunately not be accepted as possible addresses for delivery. This includes all "freemail" providers (e.g. hotmail.com), but also providers which don't allow to distinguish between regular e-mail accounts and gratis test accounts, like Apple (@mac.com), GMX, Yahoo, etc.

Note that the product will be sent to you from our German headquarters, with the "bresink.de" or "bresink.eu" domain as sender address. Your e-mail software or your Internet service provider must not filter out messages sent from Europe, otherwise you won't be able to receive anything from us! Unfortunately, some low-quality "anti-SPAM" filters may erroneously categorize the key code information as garbage or unsolicited commercial e-mail. For this reason you should verify that your mail system is actually capable of receiving product keys. Note that it can even be illegal in some countries to enable e-mail filters on an address used for receiving business e-mail.

Some of these restrictions are for European Union and/or financial sites, but these rules are spreading every day.

I wish I could assure you that Ed could do some simple, or complex, or even magic, change on the NeoOffice servers and that would fix the problem - I can't. We have had some problems before and some things could be fixed/adjusted, others either could-not, or mess things up for everybody else.
Several people on this forum get paid to do this kind of work professionally - and even they can't figure out all the different configurations. Sorry Embarassed

I've had to register several times at some sites to get my confirmation notices. I had to register 2-3 times for the Neo EAP before I got all the settings (mine and the ISPs) correct.
There is a VERY high chance (> 99.x%) that something your ISP/Spam-Filter/Firewall/IP filter/DNS routing/network/etc is doing is preventing the email from getting through.

Philip (What is that quote? oh ya - "You can't fight City Hall!" Wink )

\wouldn't be easier to just tell Microsoft to change how they do things?!? Sad
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject:

Have you tried a Yahoo.com account ? I'm using one for everything related to Neo, and I've never missed any email to date.
krmathis
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:

I'm in!
After trying 4-5 different mail addresses I finally got the verification mail. Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

krmathis wrote:
I'm in!
After trying 4-5 different mail addresses I finally got the verification mail. Smile

Hooray! (and Welcome!)

The krmathis?

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Hooray! (and Welcome!)

The krmathis?

Smokey

Thanks Smokey!
Yes, I'm the krmathis... Wink

Kai