Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Anonymous forum posting (unregistered users)
Anonymous forum posting (unregistered users)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Anonymous forum posting (unregistered users)

OK, recently the forums have been getting a lot more of forum spam. The spambots are getting smarter and have been able to get around the timing restrictions. I really believe in leaving anonymous posting enabled since it's great for folks who just drop by with a support question.

To help combat the forum spam, I added in an additional step. Unregistered/anonymous guest users will now see an additional field underneath this message entry area. It will contain a simple addition problem.

To post your message, anonymous users are required to type the answer to the arithmetic problem. If the answer is wrong, you'll be returned to a "preview" page with a new math problem. The post will not be accepted until the correct answer is typed.

Registered users can post without this added restriction.

While I tested the new system myself, I'd of course appreciate if someone else could try it out too. Since it involves posting, I doubt unregistered users will be able to register complaints that they're having problems posting Very Happy

ed

Last edited by OPENSTEP on Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
gast

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: testing

seems to work fine
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

Cool! I'd seen a few guest postings so I wasn't too worried. Hopefully the system is easy enough for people to use...I'd seen similar things on blog comment systems so hopefully it is straightforward.

I don't know about the other mods, but I've not seen as much forum spam recently. It may be, of course, that other folks are deleting it before I see it.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I finally logouted and had to re-login.
I got the prompt to type in a code and got back in just fine.

Seems to work for Logout / Login.

Philip (80334nn34jnfn Wink (
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Right now, if I'm not mistaken, the visual code confirmation on login is present if you login from the Forums module but not if you login through the nuke module (the "Your Account" guy on the left). Although the username/passwd is the same for both, there are two different modules that are doing the registration. I may be mistaken, but I believe I have not added it into the nuke one yet.

I too haven't had any problems with the visual code confirmation from the forums when logging in.

ed
Spammed by Russians

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Neat Fix

Hey I really like your arithmetic verification fix. I tried to get the PhpBB visual confirmation for guests to work on PHPBB but never could. I am no good at all with php, so if you are feeling inclined, I'd love to know how you created the arithmetic verification deal.

If you don't want to post it up publically, my email is webmaster@stxsoccer.com

Scott
www.stxsoccer.com
testing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Wow

Hi there.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1