Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - User Guides, other Forums and other help resources...
User Guides, other Forums and other help resources...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: User Guides, other Forums and other help resources...

So you've decided to give NeoJ a try...great! I suppose you're here because you have a question. If you're new to OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice, you may find some of these general help resources useful in learning how to get started:

Online help

If you look under the Help menu after you've launched NeoOffice/J you should see an entry named "Contents". Selecting this will open the extensive online help that ships with NeoOffice/J. While it's not the most up-to-date, you can find many quick tidbits in there on how to use the various applications.

This is also the help that will pop up if you click the little "lightbulb window" that appears from time to time. That lightbulb is the "QuickHelp" for actions that you've recently performed (or that the app has performed for you). It will try to jump you to a relevant portion of the online help.

OOoForum : http://www.oooforum.org

This is a great "how-to" forum for general purpose types of questions like "how do I do multiple column text in Writer" or "how do I do linear regressions in Calc". It's one of the oldest OpenOffice.org forums and has a lot of tips that have been accumulating over the years.

StarOffice 7 User Manuals : http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/so7en

StarOffice is the commercial version of OpenOffice.org that is sold by Sun Microsystems for Linux, Solaris, and Windows. While there are differences between the two, about 90% of the documentation is directly relevant for NeoOffice/J and OpenOffice.org. It's the closest thing to a "User's Guide" you'll be able to find.

There are also several other commercial books on using StarOffice and OpenOffice.org that you can find through Amazon or at your local bookstore. This books may also be good reference materials for you.

This forum!

While this forum is great for finding answers to Mac-specific questions (such as installation, printing, etc.) it's definitely not the place populated with the OpenOffice.org experts. Don't be afraid to ask, though, and we'll try to help the best we can Wink

ed

Unstickied by Lorinda on 3/4/2009
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Also, don't forget to check out the

NeoWiki: http://neowiki.neooffice.org/

The wiki's Tips and Hints for NeoOffice section contains various tips and hints for frequently-asked "How-to on Mac OS X" questions and some less-frequently-asked but complex tasks.

The NeoOffice FAQ also answers popular questions about the design and development of NeoOffice.

OOoAuthors.org: http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/userguide1/writerguide/

OOoAuthors has a guide to using OpenOffice.org 1.1.x, explaining many of the features and common tasks; this should also apply to NeoOffice, with the standard caveats about cmd-vs-ctrl keys.

Edit by pluby: updated NeoWiki URL

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
RPat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Clicked on the link, says "account suspended".

Rich
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject:

The brave little wiki was slashdotted; hopefully it'll be back soon Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject:

Hi Folks,

If you speak only fluently french language, you could to jump to our forum dedicated to OOo and (of course) NeoOffice.

http://www.forum-openoffice.org

See you soon!

Cool
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject:

Very nice. I like the fact that it is organized by component. Thus I can post replies in the sections for the components that I use, and ask questions in the other sections if I need to Smile !
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject:

Now that StarOffice 8 is in production, there is a more up to date collection of documentation available at http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/1263.1

Wink

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: User's Guide

Has anyone developed a print-based User's Guide for NeoOffice? Is this something that would be useful? I ask the question because I have downloaded the OpenOffice.org 2.0 User's Guide [Draft] and am working my way through. I decided to Neo-ise it as I went, and have found the exercise a useful learning process. Have done half of one chapter so far. Not sure about the licences, but I think I'm obeying them in letter and spirit Smile
Peter
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject:

Adding a link to previous article: References
Long and detailed post.

Is there a way we can copy that post here? to make this a more complete listing??

Philip ( ?? )
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: The Guide is Here

In August 2007, the guide was published, as an 0.9 release. It can be accessed via the "User Guide" title in the menu to the left of this screen.

Be aware that when you click on that menu item, the download will begin automatically. It's a 17Mb PDF file, containing the whole of the Guide. You will find that you can print off individual chapters as stand-alones should you wish.

Peter
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject:

Bless you Sir! ( and your mystic helper elves! Very Happy )

Philip ( so much to read! so much to ... learn! Wink )
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: User Guides

NeoOffice User Guides 1 and 2 are now available via the links at the left hand side of this page. Both are free and open source books. User Guide [Volume 1] was aimed at NeoOffice 2.2 and previous, and is for beginners as well as advanced users. It is a 500 page OS X conversion of the OpenOffice User Guide for 2.x

User Guide Volume 2 brings that material up to date for NeoOffice 3.0, and adds some tips and hints for more advanced users of NeoOffice. We hope they are useful.
Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1