CD booklet

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: CD booklet

hi everybody,

writer
1. i want to make a cd booklet (12cmx12cm) and print it as it should be printed on an A4 paper.
i created a page style 12x12 and made layout of all pages seperatedly.

now, i have problems printing it. if i mention brochure in the print menu, first printed the left pages and then the right pages (my printer does not support duplex printing), but somehow the text is expanded to A5 and does not match the cd size.

2. Second is there no possibility to have corner marks on an A4 while printing a cd page or A5 in portrait ?

any help would be welcome.

OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 on mac
Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject:

Hi, if I understood what you want to do §I suggest to go here http://ooextras.sourceforge.net/downloads/english/index.php?tab=All and see if one the first two templates do the job.
You can even have a look at Draw templates.

Valter
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

valterb,

Thank you for your prompt reply, but this template works if you only need 4 pages 12x12.

We need a booklet of 12 pages (12x12), special occasion - birth / baptise (?) of our 3th child Smile

if i use this template it become difficult to add extra pages or extra information.

hm, maybe i can use textframes, that can reduce the difficulty to add extra info.

nevertheless, i will use this template. Thank you for the link.

Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:

You'll just have to use three documents (each of them being based on the 4-page template), assuming you can add the information you want.

I'm not sure I understand what happens in your first post, but it would be interesting to know if Neo/OOo doesn't work right, or if you made a mistake somewhere.
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Samwise and valterb,

This solution works for me :

i use one document based on the template valterb suggested to me.
i use linked text frames to make sure that my text is on the right page in my booklet.

i have 6 A4 pages.
on page 1 : booklet page 12 and 1 style CDTITLE
on page 2 : booklet page 2 and 11 style CDBODY
on page 3 : booklet page 10 and 3
on page 4 : booklet page 4 and 9
on page 5 : booklet page 8 and 5
on page 6 : booklet page 6 and 7

i created 10 text frames . i named them according to the pages 2-11 in my booklet.
i linked them, page2 with page3, etc.

for me this works. maybe there's a more simple solution, if so , tell me.

samwise,
i reproduced the error to recheck.
here's what i did :
- i changed my page format to 12x12
- i print my booklet on A4 paper as brochure. the ouput is an A5 booklet.
- if i uncheck the brochure it is printed 12x12.

Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Right now I have no Neo installation to test this on, but I will investigate this later.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject:

My (then) fiancée made me a CD as wedding present with a 12 page booklet. She got very annoyed that she had to ask me for help, as it was supposed to be a secret(!) but I think this is what we did:

In Format-Page define a page that is 12 by 12cm
Create your booklet with the pages in the order 1,2,3,4,...,12
In File-Printer Settings... define a custom page size that is 24 by 12cm,
then select this new page size before clicking OK.
In File-Print select brochure printing.

You can check this works by clicking preview rather than print.

This works as the brochure printing bit of Neo uses the printer settings to scale the pages of the brochure. If you want a page that is 12cm wide you must tell Neo to print to a piece of paper that is 24 cm wide. It doesn't matter that the paper in the printer isn't 24x12 - your printer will probably just print it in the middle of the page. I have found the best way to do this is to print the file to Preview, save the PDF and print from either Preivew or Acrobat Reader - it certainly saves paper!

The only thing I haven't managed to create are crop marks, though I suppose you could just draw them on the edge of the pages.

Hope that Helps

Andy
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:

Andy, what Neo are you using? I'm interested in this kind of procedure, but I wasn't able to find File->Print-> brochure printing. I'm using neo 2.0 beta 2..

Valter
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:

valterb wrote:
Andy, what Neo are you using? I'm interested in this kind of procedure, but I wasn't able to find File->Print-> brochure printing. I'm using neo 2.0 beta 2..

Valter

Sorry, my bad description.
Select File-Print
Choose your printer specific options
Click OK (or Preview)
On the Print Options dialogue that is now displayed near the middle under the Pages heading there is an option called Brochure. Click this box and Neo will do lots of page rearranging for you.

When I wrote in the previous post about printing to PDF and then using that to print, I couldn't remeber why I did that, but now I remember! I don't have a printer that does duplex, so I save the PDF then print all the odd pages, re-insert and print all the even pages. Printing from the pdf is easier than from Neo as you can't accidently edit your file between sides and you can see in Preview exactly what is going to be printed.

Andy.
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
In Format-Page define a page that is 12 by 12cm
Create your booklet with the pages in the order 1,2,3,4,...,12
In File-Printer Settings... define a custom page size that is 24 by 12cm,
then select this new page size before clicking OK.
In File-Print select brochure printing.

Amayze,

this tip rocks ! i didn't thought about creating a custom page size 12x24cm.
more i can create 12x12 documents and print it as is, in brochure.

Thank you VERY much.

Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

amayze,

another reason why you should print first to PDF . if you print directly from neo, the position of the two 12x12 pages is not centred on the A4 page. i you first print to PDF and print via preview, then the printout of the data is centred. So you can easy turn pages and print the other 12x12 pages on the other side.

Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject:

Ah, yes. I knew there was another reason! (But like I said my input in the process was minimal as the work in question at the time was a present for me!) Wink

I wonder if this should count as a bug? I've just been printing an A4 page with a border. If I print from Neo it is offset to the right by a few mm and the right edge is cut off. If I export it to PDF and then print the pdf it prints exactly centered and all the edges print correctly.

Andy.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I wonder if this should count as a bug? I've just been printing an A4 page with a border. If I print from Neo it is offset to the right by a few mm and the right edge is cut off. If I export it to PDF and then print the pdf it prints exactly centered and all the edges print correctly.

Export to PDF (the toolbar button and file menu item) uses a slightly different code path from the "Save as PDF" in the native Print dialogue (at least I believe that's what Patrick said when he implemented it way back when; the former having a few different features from the native Apple QuartzPDF stuff).

I'd think that the "offset" should be the same, though....

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Export to PDF (the toolbar button and file menu item) uses a slightly different code path from the "Save as PDF" in the native Print dialogue (at least I believe that's what Patrick said when he implemented it way back when; the former having a few different features from the native Apple QuartzPDF stuff).

This correct. All operations doen in the native print dialog will be forced to have a page size that is supported by the selected printer. So, if you have A4 set in Format -> Page but your printer only has Letter support, you will get letter.

Export as PDF, on the other hand, imposes no such restriction.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I've just been printing an A4 page with a border. If I print from Neo it is offset to the right by a few mm and the right edge is cut off. If I export it to PDF and then print the pdf it prints exactly centered and all the edges print correctly.

sardisson wrote:

I'd think that the "offset" should be the same, though....

I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing. Andy explains a difference between direct impression with NeoOffice and the PDF export feature, whereas Smokey focuses on the difference between the two ways to export a document to PDF. Isn't it possible that both PDF export paths produce the same offset, but that printing directly from Neo (w/out any conversion to PDF) creates a different offset ?

BTW Andy, which application do you use to print PDFs (Preview, Adobe Reader, other) ?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2