· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo = new = simplify
Neo = new = simplify

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandonfletcher
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Neo = new = simplify

NeoOffice is A Good Thing (and runs moderately well -ahem- on my Mac mini) but remember the audience is Mac.

The Preferences "book"! is way way too over complicated. A lot of that stuff is irrelevant / can be set to defaults.

Let's build on openoffice but make it properly better please

cheers
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Yes, a lot of the interface is complicated and designed from a primarily Windows point of view. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to undertake and maintain building alternative interfaces to the core product. There are a number of tehcnical limitations to doing this along with sustainability across different OOo releases, languages, and the like.

Right now we're only at the point of being able to improve things so we have a better Mac "look". The "feel" will always be off and I don't think OOo will be making the large investment to change their infrastructure anytime soon as it's a strong feature to have a consistent UI across all of their platforms. People who are really looking for a good Mac feel should totally check out iWork or Microsoft Office. For all the flak that people give Microsoft, MacBU really did a nice job with getting the feel of Office v.X/2004 to be a good user experience. I've never used Pages myself, but the older Keynotes looked pretty good too.

ed
human
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Ed, considering the limitations and complexities with which you and Patrick have had to contend, you have definitely done yoeman's work creating a Mac OS X version of OOo that looks and acts like a native OS X application. I have definitely experienced a lot worse. Keep up the good work!
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
People who are really looking for a good Mac feel should totally check out iWork or Microsoft Office. For all the flak that people give Microsoft, MacBU really did a nice job with getting the feel of Office v.X/2004 to be a good user experience.

Actually, Office v.X made me feel more uncomfortable than Office on Windows. Office 2004, OTOH, is really nice to use. But there are still the basic misgivings I have about Word: opague style system, crufty PDF support and a couple more.

So that is why I love NeoOffice. That and the bug fixing time tends to run about the time it takes me to sleep, shower and have breakfast Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1