Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - dlcompat install fails in 1.03/Panther
dlcompat install fails in 1.03/Panther

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgreenberg
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: dlcompat install fails in 1.03/Panther

I'm trying to install OOO 1.03. My config is a G3 with 256mb and Panther with the Apple X11 from disk 3.

The install fails at dlcompat, and the message is that libdl installation failed.

Nothing goes to the system console when this happens.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks,
</edg>
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject:

What you'll want to do on Panther systems is to 'bypass' the libdl installation. Panther has its own libdl. Unfortunatley, it came out after our 103GM installer and the OOo installer isn't aware of what to do. The trick is to make symbolic links for libdl in the expected location "/usr/local/lib" that map to the default Panther location of "/usr/lib".

Do the following in a Terminal but be very careful...after the sudo you are root and can really mess up your computer if you're not careful:

Code:

sudo bash
cd /usr
mkdir local
cd local
mkdir lib
cd lib
ln -s /usr/lib/libdl.dylib libdl.dylib
ln -s /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib libdl.0.dylib
exit

If you do the above and then rerun the OOo 103GM installer it should no longer attempt to install dlcompat Smile

ed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject:

Thank you. I will try this tonight and report back.

Fortunately, I'm much more at home in Unix than in the Mac OS, so the root privs do not worry me much :)

</edg>
edgreenberg
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: dlcompat solved - now ghostscript

Well, I get a similar error for Ghostscript, but in this case, the error message is too big to read in the OOo dialog box.

I can compile it myself, but should I have to ?

</edg>
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject:

No, you shouldn't have to worry about ghostscript. It's funny that the ESP Ghostscript installer should be failing too...perhaps something changed in the way I need to invoke Apple Installer that's breaking all the external installers under Panther Sad

You'll want to get ESP Ghostscript 7.05:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-print/espgs-7.05.6.ppc.dmg?download

For some reason the ESP installer isn't available directly from esp any longer, so the URL in that error message may be out of date.

If all of the external installers are hosed, you'll probably also want to manually get and install fondu as well so you can do the font conversions to import Mac OS X fonts into the OpenOffice.org environment:

http://fondu.sourceforge.net/Fondu-030428.pkg.sit

If you already have X11 installed on Panther, those two installers and the dlcompat symlinks should be all that you need.

Out of curiousity, what version of Panther are you trying to run the 103GM installer on? I tried the full installer on WWDC 03 builds and everything was fine, but something may have changed in the meantime. I'm working on putting together a 1.1.1 installer and would love to try and figure out what I need to change to get these external packages to install correctly Smile

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.0.3GM on Panther

OPENSTEP wrote:
Out of curiousity, what version of Panther are you trying to run the 103GM installer on? I tried the full installer on WWDC 03 builds and everything was fine, but something may have changed in the meantime. I'm working on putting together a 1.1.1 installer and would love to try and figure out what I need to change to get these external packages to install correctly Smile

Not sure why the user had problems either - I have installed OOo 1.0.3GM onto fresh installs of Panther several times, without problem. Admittedly I haven't tried lately with Panther updates.

Here is a sample partial installation log :

Code:
Install Begin: Wed Oct 29 23:59:49 PST 2003
Install End:   Thu Oct 30 00:05:07 PST 2003

Created with Zero G's InstallAnywhere 5.0.7 Mac OS X Build 1680

Summary
-------

Installation: Successful.

1961 SUCCESSES
0 WARNINGS
0 NONFATAL ERRORS
0 FATAL ERRORS

Execute Target File:      DLCompat-20020913-10.2.pkg

Execute Target File:      ESP Ghostscript.mpkg

Execute Target File:      Fondu-021223.pkg

Execute Command:          /bin/rm -rf "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$ExternalInstallers"

gaston
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I got the first error, added those lines, and the installer no longer offered the dlcompat as an option.

All seemed well.

But, then the next thing happened - the GhostScript Installer didn't install correctly.

I'm currently downloading it, and will report back.

Have to say, though, I was thrilled to find the answer to the first problem so quickly.

Thank's.

--

Right. So the external installers aren't doing whatever they're supposed to.

The GhostScript thing worked, now I'm just trying to find fondu. (http://fondu.sourceforge.net/Fondu-030428.pkg.sit isn't there anymore.)

--

Installed without Fondu.

It works!!

This puts me in such a great mood...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Man, bummer that it seems that the OS X fondu installers have been pulled from the open market. I posted an earlier version on the ftp.neooffice.org FTP server.

Name: Fondu-021224.pkg.tar.gz
MD5Sum: 16cd852168d7c4dcc1586563362126d8

That's the package that's used by the OOo 103GM installer. I don't know why the newer installers were pulled by the fondu project, but hopefully this one will suffice Smile

ed
Alondra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject:

I am getting the exact same errors, but in Jaguar. Should I proceed in the same way?

Jasta
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Fondu there again

OPENSTEP wrote:
I don't know why the newer installers were pulled by the fondu project, but hopefully this one will suffice Smile

ed

There seems to be a new (and recent, as in soon after reports of the the older one vanishing) version available now: http://fondu.sourceforge.net/Fondu-040324.pkg.sitx

It doesn't show up on the sourceforge project page, but it is listed in the downloads section of the fondu homepage(?), http://fondu.sourceforge.net/index.html#Downloads

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for finding out where that package was. I myself didn't thoroughly examine their site. You can successfully use OOo without fondu.

If any of the external installers are giving you problems in the 103GM IA installer, you can either try installing newer versinos of the packages or you can turn the packages off. There should be a summary panel before installation that is set to "Typical" by default. It shows all of the other installers that will be attempted to be executed. If you uncheck any of them in that list, they'll simply be skipped during installation.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1