Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice freezes when I first try to open it
NeoOffice freezes when I first try to open it

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice freezes when I first try to open it

I have tried several times today to open NeoOffice and it has frozen on me completely. Once it even froze the whole computer. I didn't have any problems with it until today. Can anyone help me fix this? Would deleting and reinstalling it fix the issue? *crossing fingers this is an easy fix*

Thanks!

X
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Are there any messages related to Neo in the Console.log (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app)? I.e., open Console.log, launch Neo, and watch for messages.

You should also try moving aside your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x folder and trying to launch Neo again, on the chance that something in your profile became corrupted.

(There are lots of other things to try/check, but first things first....)

Also, moved this to the Support forum...it's hardly a rant by our standards Wink

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject:

Criminelly now my whole computer keeps crashing just trying to get to this forum this morning!

This is what the console reads from when I tried to open Neo Office this morning. And perhaps I should mention that Neo Office never gets beyond the splash screen when trying to open and the blue status bar on that splash screen stops at about 1/2 way thru.

Sep 11 06:10:54 x-computer /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer: FOExceptionMainHandler caught a fatal exception at 0x0004e374\n
Sep 11 06:10:54 x-computer /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer: FOExceptionMainHandler caught a fatal exception at 0x0004e374\n
Sep 11 06:10:55 x-computer /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer: FOExceptionMainHandler caught a fatal exception at 0x0004e374\n
Sep 11 06:10:55 x-computer /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer: FOExceptionMainHandler caught a fatal exception at 0x0004e374\n
x
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:

You should also try moving aside your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x folder and trying to launch Neo again, on the chance that something in your profile became corrupted.

I don't understand what you mean by this instruction, please elaborate.
x
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject:

One other thing....

I have read in the Mac forums that Neo Office is not supported for Intel based Macs. I am trying to use this on my Intel based iMac, could that be why it's not working?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

that was an older posting. neooffice now works with intel computers
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject:

x wrote:
[i]Sep 11 06:10:54 x-computer /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer: FOExceptionMainHandler caught a fatal exception at 0x0004e374\n
Sep 11 06:10:54 x-computer

This usually indicates that a bad font is crashing Apple's font manager. Take a look at the following tip for detecting and disabling bad fonts and see if this helps:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Tips#Crashing_in_the_font_dropdown

Patrick
x
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

Ahhhh!... I did install some new fonts. I'll check that out, thanks!
x
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I ran the font validation and there were quite a few that were damaged or corrupted. I removed those and now NeoOffice opens again.

Thank you!
x
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Spoke too soon, it opened twice and now it's not opening again. Same message as before in the console so I disabled all fonts in my font book that are not Mac System fonts. Still got the same results. Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject:

You may have found a bug. Since NeoOffice is hanging, can you do the following?:

1. Create a new bug in Bugzilla for this problem. We will need to move to Bugzilla so that you will be able to attach files.

2. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application.

3. Launch NeoOffice and get it to hang. Before you force NeoOffice to quit, switch to Actiivity Monitor, select NeoOffice from the list of Processes, and click on the Inspect icon. In the dialog that appears, click the Sample button.

4. Save the sample and attach it to the bug that you created in step 1.

Patrick
x
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

I got frustrated and downloaded the newer Beta version NO 2 Aqua Beta 3 and so far it has opened everytime. I can only assume something must have been corruped, unless mac software doesn't get corrupted like PC software does.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

It very well may be a font issue since 2.0 AB3 doesn't actually load all of the fonts at startup like earlier versions. I suspect you might still see a crash or freeze if you try to use that font that has been causing the problem for the earlier versions. The best way to trace that down may be to enable the font preview in the font pulldown in Writer. After enabled, try to see if you can isolate the range of fonts when the crash starts, and from that list of 7 or so then we can try to narrow down to the exact font. If all of the corrupted fonts detected by font book were disabled, it may be a bug in Neo with this particular font or font family.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1