· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Launch Menu / Individual Prog Shortcuts
Launch Menu / Individual Prog Shortcuts

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Launch Menu / Individual Prog Shortcuts

I made a template file for each of the four OO.o programs. By selecting the template you'll launch Neo/J into that program (provided Neo/J is default, not OO.oX11, if not, just make it for each of these files).

the files can be found here:

http://neo-downloads.sixthcrusade.com/neoofficeshortcuts.zip

If you are using Neo/j 0.8.2 you'll get nifty Icons. I put the folder in my dock, put the Neo/J icon as the folder icon and use it as a launcher. (the icons don't seem to want to stick to the files)

-j
(who had no idea where to post this)
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Jacob,

that's a good idea Wink

I would like to suggest to "localize" the shortcuts. You could make a subdirectory for the different languages in the shortcuts-folder, like "en" for english or "de" for german.

The translation for the german shortcuts would be:

drawing -> Grafik
math -> Tabellenkalkulation
presentation -> Präsentation
writer -> Textverarbeitung

Thomas
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject:

This does raise an interesting question for bundling, though. The problem, of course, is that there's really only one application (like AppleWorks) but yet most users would probably think in MS Office terms where there are separate applications for each task. When installing, should we retain everything in one bundle inside of Applications or try to find a way to make four separate "applications" for each of the main components? Or should it be a folder with the application bundle inside and then the four templates?

I'm just curious. The very very first alpha installer I put together had four separate launching scripts to map to the four default components. Then we consolidated it into one catch-all with Start OOo and the single app bundle approach.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject:

good idea thomas. =) new files

http://neo-downloads.sixthcrusade.com/neoofficeshortcuts_en.zip

http://neo-downloads.sixthcrusade.com/neoofficeshortcuts_de.zip

and could someone just confirm that they work as expected? i tested them on my two computers, but sample size and all.

As for the launcher/icon question, Ed and I talked a bit about it already, but my answer is that the icons are worth more than a launcher (Office X vs. Appleworks). it is just more intuiative, i think to open the specific program, rather than go to a launcher.

now, if we could make it so the icons could live on the app side of the dock, that would rock.
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject:

Jacob,

I can confirm that the shortcuts are working, at least on my machine ("Titanium"-1GHz-PB, 10.3.3).

May be Patrick could contact his website translators to translate shortcuts and put them as "extras" in the next NeoOffice/J-dmg?

Thomas
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject:

Ed,

I don't use different office applications on my Mac (I'm faithful to NeoOffice/J Wink), but I've worked with AppleWorks and Ragtime before NeoOffice/J and have seen the screenshots of the new M$ Office:mac. They all don't have different "application-part" icons, but they ask you after start what kind of document you want do create (except Ragtime). I'm wondering if this is the "default" for an office application on OS X? Is there is something about that in Apple's HIGs?

I've also looked at the program menu of my KDE-Desktop. There are items for each "application-part" and no "monolithic" icon. Is this the "default" for OOo on all platforms?

I don't prefer one of the both approaches. May be the application-part icons could be an optionin the installation program ("[ ] Create separate icons for Writer, Presenter, Math, Draw")?

Thomas
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1