NeoOffice :: View topic - the wiki
the wiki

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: the wiki

Ok, so we have a wiki, but not much use/content.

It is a wiki, so we can make it anything we want. What I'd like to know is, what do we want it to be?

thoughts?

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I love the wiki for the build instructions. I have to go fix them up myself. I just have been a lazy bastard and haven't done the work on the main website Smile

What about a "wish list" kind of thing? It might produce useful content, or at least a venue for people to vent their frustrations.

Perhaps an "OOo in the News" section for folks to link to the public articles referencing OOo and the like? The main OOo website misses some and I'm sure that more are out there.

Extending the wiki into foreign languages? I'm not sure of the foreign language interest in online OOo communities.

OK, must go eat pizza that arrievith, and none-to-soon....

ed <--- hungry
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject:

At present, we don't have a beta version of NeoOffice.

First, there must be eliminated essential issues, like empty message boxes (like the registration box Wink), heavy display issues (flipping) and memory leaks.

What can we do to support that?
- Kidnapping some programmers from the street and chaining them in Ed's Cellar Very Happy and
- giving potential developers some help, like the build instructions and the NeoOffice-torso.

We have already discussed some possible enhancements like screenshots to attract developers.

When we have a more beta-like version of NeoOffice, we could implement something for bug-tracking (NeoOffice bugzilla?) and starting a documentation- and FAQ-area in the Wiki.

And if we have release candidate of NeoOffice, we could build something like Patrick has done for NeoOffice/J in a really good way.

And yes, I'm waiting impatiently for every little progress in developing, fearing that Ed and Dan may lose their interest in "aquafication" some day because of the lack of developers.

Thomas
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject:

Well, remember the Wiki is for the OOoX11 and Neo/J as well, what things can these relatively stable versions use too? I'd like to have value content for these releases as well. try to, hopefully, answer some of the common "not gonna read the forum just post" questions (like X11 for 10.2.Cool

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject:

Very true that the value out of it can be helpful for existing things. I tried to put together those FAQs and sticky postings for OOo X11 Support, but there still are frequently asked questions that I have missed. I also don't know if people read the FAQs before they post, either.

Unfortunately, most people find it easier to ask for "support" rather then reading the documentation and browsing the resources provided for them Sad

That said, we can always put a "commonly asked questions/read before posting" sticky topic at the top of each forum that would point folks to sections of the wiki that can hopefully become more freeform and quickly updating then the FAQ.

thoughts?

ed
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: "Things to do (not coding)" in the Wiki

Hi all,

inspired by Jacobs program start shortcuts, I've added an entry "Things to do" in the NeoOffice-section of the Wiki to collect the tasks that could be done by people who don't writing code. My idea is to make an separately Wiki-site for each task, like "Writing Mac OS X specific documentation", where we could discuss thoughts to this task and hopefully building teams for that tasks (yes, may be one-person-teams Wink).

Thomas
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1