Same old rant

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Well, I personally feel that Ed would be better served by a container full of nice chilled Belgian beer, preferably delivered by some nice and pretty young ladies. AFAICT, he has more than enough silicon around him. And in any case, the law of dimishing returns is pretty strong on electronics.

I dunno...that shipping container looks mighty cool...

Would probably love das blinkenlights until I got the first electric bill Smile

ed
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Same old rant

pluby wrote:
As for it being an OpenOffice.org bug, it seems pretty clear cut to me. I opened your sample document in OOo 2.0.3 X11, selected File -> Print, and in the print dialog, selected Save to File and selected the Options button. In the Options pane, I checked Brochure and printed. I then opened the PostScript file and, like in NeoOffice, two pages are properly shrunk to fit but they are not rotated to landscape. With a quick Google search I found the following OOo bug that is still in a "discussion" state:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=14036

Patrick

I guess I'd just got so used to the work around that I saw it is a "feature" rather than the bug which it evidently is (or more accurately not a bug but a mess!) Anyway the new work around is in the wiki and I'm happy again too. Wink

Andy
(who's been on holiday the last few days and wasn't really hiding at all!)
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

One evening after a day of martial arts training, the Master and his students started drinking. The Master was questioned: which one of these bottles is the best? His reply: it does not matter; all bottles are good.

OOo professes they are the only true way and will not even link to anyone else in a prominent fashion, even reneging on agreements to link to another GPL free software project such as NeoOffice. OOo indoctrinates each user and developer that only OOo can provide the "true" way. Other alternatives to the "official" OOo are mentioned only in passing, if at all. It is always a pleasure to see one community service expend conscious effort to attack other volunteer efforts.

ed

I thought Open Document was the "true" way, and OOo, NeoOffice et al were just signpost on the path to (open standards) enlightenment! Wink

Andy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I thought Open Document was the "true" way, and OOo, NeoOffice et al were just signpost on the path to (open standards) enlightenment!

Regrettably, not everyone gets the idea. Though in all fairness, there's quite a few people in OOo that are very open to NeoOffice and very reasonable people. No need to piss on the whole community.

best wishes,
Oscar

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

To be honest, I don't think being open to NeoOffice is what all this is about. Because NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org's histories are so related, people could dislike NeoOffice and still adhere to the concept behind an open format, w/out necessarily thinking that OOo is the only true way.

Similarly, someone could be very open to NeoOffice, but feel that OOo and its derivatives are (in every respect) better than any other alternative, and criticize anything that is not OOo, or consider ODF only as a means of getting OOo widely adopted.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
No need to piss on the whole community.

I don't piss on the entire community. The majority of people who use OOo/Neo do not participate in their respective communities in the slightest.

It is not the users whom I have a problem with.

I only desire to piss on the corporate a*sh*t leaders of OOo that have lost sight of what the "open" in open source and just b**ch and whine and moan while denying that two other guys already have a freely available open source solution that meets the needs of the majority of Mac users who are looking for any alternative for closed-source solutions.

What a great "open" community, eh?

Not to mention the videos their leaders are complaining about contain very technical input/output on the problems I had implementing one solution to the same problems they're trying to solve.

Good tactical response you jerks. Instead of watching and attending presentations we'd hope would help you and lead to a new open exchange of solutions to difficult problems, you not only refuse to listen to the presentations but also engage in attacking people for trying share them with you in the first place. How childish.

Regardless of technical motivations, such actions by these community leaders disgust me.

I'm honestly glad I'm no longer a leader of the OOo community. I'm repulsed by the fact it's devolved into a place where people are so easily willing to employ such deceitful tacitcs in the guise of "freedom" and yet still are congratulated for the usage of those tactics by a herd of moral-lacking sheep.

It doesn't matter whether the goals of "open formats" and "open source" are meritous. No ends justify the employment of deceitful, questionable, and unethical tactics against anyone, much less volunteers. Self-defense and copathetic flaming is one thing. Outright censorship is a tool employed by the weak to maintain their tenuous hold on power. OOo has readily embraced suppression and censorship to further their own cause. OOo has decided censorship to be a required weapon in their war against alternative solutions that already exist. How antithetical given the "open" goals of their "community".

Go forth you commanders of OOo, enjoy fighting your good fight. At least I know at the end of the day I won't have a bad taste in my mouth from hurting curious users who don't know any better.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2