· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo fonts displaying but not printing
OOo fonts displaying but not printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navsaria

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: OOo fonts displaying but not printing

Hi, everyone. I'm running OOo 1.1.0 under Panther, and I'm having some trouble with fonts. When I installed 1.0.3, I was a bit miffed to see that I didn't have access to all my Panther fonts. 1.1.0 fixed that, or so it seemed.

All the fonts appear on screen in Writer without a problem, but certain fonts seem to "disappear" if I try to print or export to PDF. Times works okay, but New Century Schoolbook doesn't work. The default font (Bitstream Vera Serif) has the disappearing issue as well, as does Copperplate. I haven't had the chance to try others yet.

This is a bit of an issue, because I'm particularly picky about type. Smile Any ideas what's going on?

As a complete aside, is there a particular reason why it's so hard to find OOo downloads for Mac OS X on the main site? I know we're up to 1.1.1 (right?), but if I go to the main site, all I see is 1.0.3. I know that people who are intimately involved with OOo know where everything is, but for the interested but otherwise busy user like myself, it feels like it takes a fair deal of work to figure out where anything is if it's in a non-standard location...

Thanks!

Peace and Prosperity,
Dipesh
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject:

i can answer one part of that.

"we" are not up to 1.1.1, "they" are. the oo.o community doesn't really support us mac guys yet, so we only have a stable 1.0.3 version.

That being said there are some dedicated people working on 1.1.1, just give them time. and beer.

-j

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i can answer one part of that.

"we" are not up to 1.1.1, "they" are. the oo.o community doesn't really support us mac guys yet, so we only have a stable 1.0.3 version.

That being said there are some dedicated people working on 1.1.1, just give them time. and beer.

-j

So...this may be a naive question, but is there a reason that the wider oo.o community doesn't support the Mac to the same level they do some other platforms? Just sheer numbers? Number of programmers interested in this project? Vast global conspiracy? Smile

And I realized later that my post may have come across as sounding ungrateful, which is far from the intention. I'm thrilled to see an open-source office suite out there that can seriously compete with the MS hegemony. It's just mild frustration at not having the ability to do a few things which I find vital -- so I can't cut the MS Office strings quite yet, unfortunately.

Thanks for all the hard work, folx!

Peace and Prosperity,
Dipesh
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject:

The problem really stems from the fact that the "wider OpenOffice.org community" is not a community of developers. The vast majority of the development is undertaken by, steered, and paid for by Sun Microsystems. And their priorities are Linux-x86, Windows, and Solaris Sparc (though I think Solaris x86 is on their radar again). All of those platforms have paid developers working on them and corporate sponsorship.

Mac OS X is not one of their priorities so we have purely volunteer manpower...and Mac programmers don't really want to spend their time on X11 and whacked out Unix porting.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject:

Dipesh,

Give Neo/J a try. It is based on the 1.0.3 codebase, but no X11 and it is very stable. I have replaced MS Office with it on my computer...

(yes, I keep M$ around, but not for much)

-j
navsaria

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded a fresh copy of NeoOffice/J and have been using it for the last several days. So far, so good! It's nice to have some of the Mac OS X interface conventions back, particular with respect to fonts and font management.

I think the reason I initially stayed away from NeoOffice/J was that the dire warnings about it being a prototype, etc were somewhat daunting. I certainly understand the reasons for those warnings Smile, but at the same time, it meant I continued to struggle with OOo when NeoOffice has worked just fine. The fact of the matter is that the majority of my "office suite" use is reasonably simple word processing, and NeoOffice/J has proven rock-solid stable for that so far. I've recommended it to my father-in-law, who very much would like to run an open-source office suite but would probably be frightened of X11.

Regarding Sun et al's support; I didn't realize how much those companies played a part in this effort. It'd be awfully nice if Apple would pony up a few programmers, wouldn't it?

Thanks for the help!

Peace and Prosperity,
Dipesh
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1