NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 RC/Final
NeoOffice 2.0 RC/Final

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject:

MacRat wrote:
There are some things Ed pulls out that you would rather not see.

Good thing I missed the conference, then Smile. But actually I was referring to Daniel. Not that Ed doesn't come up with brilliant stuf...

-Oz
Punto_Mac
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Just to get back on topic, I was wondering if we could ship the release version with a righteous set of icons.. I think we have 80% covered now (some more, if I look at my private replacements, which include some recycling from other sets).

Actually, we have only covered +410 of 866 icons Sad , including Oscar's new wrap icons (thanx - your name is now in the read me file!, sorry Embarassed )

djpimley wrote:
...hopefully I'll now have time to help Armando.

Very Happy That's good news, cuz I've tons of work Sad

djpimley wrote:
A complete Aqua/Akua icon set for Final would be the perfect compliment for all Ed's native widgets.

I agree, but if Neo Final is out and everyone is happy with these icons and if Ed and Patrick like them they could be included in Aqua Final as an "experimental" iconset.

Armando
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

Punto_Mac wrote:
Actually, we have only covered +410 of 866 icons Sad

There are so many? Ah yes, but there's quite a few, such as the shapes icons (all of these circles and ellipses and so on) that I don't think need replacing. And maybe a few that never show up anyway.. Not to shirk from responsibility, but I have about 50 icons (additional to the shapes) from the KDE, standard and Crystal sets that I found quite satisfying.

Punto_Mac wrote:

That happens to people quite often Smile.

Punto_Mac wrote:
I agree, but if Neo Final is out and everyone is happy with these icons and if Ed and Patrick like them they could be included in Aqua Final as an "experimental" iconset.

That would be excellent!

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Punto_Mac wrote:

That happens to people quite often Smile.

My boss suddenly panicked because he realised it's October and I've got two weeks of holiday to take before the end of the year, which I haven't had a chance to take. So I now have a bunch of long 4-day weekends to enjoy over the next few months - perfect days for a long lie in bed, a late lazy cup of joe and some laid back icon designing Very Happy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
So I now have a bunch of long 4-day weekends to enjoy over the next few months - perfect days for a long lie in bed, a late lazy cup of joe and some laid back icon designing Very Happy

Lovely Smile. Looking forward to seeing what you came up with!

Best wishes,
Oscar

aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Ah yes, but there's quite a few, such as the shapes icons (all of these circles and ellipses and so on) that I don't think need replacing.
Oscar

Actually, I beg to disagree. I had a quick look at those icons recently and they would look much more in sync with akua if they were not purple on grey: a blue would be better IMHO Smile (I had a try at changing one or two, but I think it's beyond me: I am sure it's an easy task for a graphics person, but I'm not one of those)

Peter
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
Actually, I beg to disagree. I had a quick look at those icons recently and they would look much more in sync with akua if they were not purple on grey: a blue would be better IMHO Smile (I had a try at changing one or two, but I think it's beyond me: I am sure it's an easy task for a graphics person, but I'm not one of those)

I see. I think the Crystal icons are all blue.. Will those do?

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
I had a quick look at those icons recently and they would look much more in sync with akua if they were not purple on grey: a blue would be better IMHO Smile (I had a try at changing one or two, but I think it's beyond me: I am sure it's an easy task for a graphics person, but I'm not one of those)

I'll work on these since eventually every icon should be replaced but the shapes icons are probably rightly low on Armando's to do list. That way I can get my feet wet with the icon designing and I'll be sure that I'm not duplicating any of Amrando's efforts.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
t the shapes icons are probably rightly low on Armando's to do list.

Agree. I am just keen that we eventually make it complete, if we can

Thanks to you guys again, you are stars Smile

Peter
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Hey, really, good luck to everyone. I certainly have no skills at designing icons at all. Every time I've tried my hand at it it comes out looking worse than one of the tools from Photoshop 3 Sad

As I'm sure Patrick has mentioned elsewhere, for incorporating icons and art into final what we need is minimally a LGPL license and traceable copyright. For original art this is not a problem at all Smile For everything else, just to cover us all legally, we need to know that the source was either public domain imagery or a source that is compatible with the LGPL license.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Youse Guys are the Champs!

It's really exciting that so many are able, and willing, to work on getting a new Akua set.
Seems our friends are ... wishing they had some too. Twisted Evil
Even Iconic is mentioned

Is the Akua set going to be GPL, LGPL, or some mix (Neo Icons GPL, OOo items LGPL, or something?). Rolling Eyes

It sure will be nice to have a much better set than the old ... defaults. I'm using an early version of Akua (via Iconic) and it REALLY makes a difference. Much nice to look at, not so ... hard on the eyes? Shocked
I noticed recently that a new user was even able to find, and update, his icons to Akua. That shows just how hard the contributors here work to ... " Just make it Work" -- The Mac way of doing things!!
http://brettisangry.com/Iconic/

Philip ( always amazed at the efforts on this fora! Wink )

<edit>
Punto_Mac wrote:
Update: 600 icons! Daniel's included (Thanks!):
http://homepage.mac.com/punto_mac/projects/neo/downloads/Akua_Prerelease.dmg

Armando

PD: You need Visual NeoIconer preAlpha and OpenOffice to install Shapes icons until Iconic is updated.
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

Seems our friends are ... wishing they had some too. Twisted Evil
Even Iconic is mentioned

Heh, nice link. Smile

LemonAid wrote:
Is the Akua set going to be GPL, LGPL, or some mix (Neo Icons GPL, OOo items LGPL, or something?). Rolling Eyes

At the moment it's GPL. Whilst I'm not on a crusade here, I don't see why we should make the set LGPL just for the OOo guys. LGPL is great for the right reasons (shared libraries etc.) but in this case we would be making the icons LGPL exclusively for the benefit of one project (a project that, from what I've read, has shown little appreciation for this community's efforts in the past). Of course the bulk of the Akua icons are Armando's and if he decided to go LGPL then I would respect that and LGPL my contributions to the set.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

not to get on a longer off tangent, but in a few words can someone explain why the license of the code and the license of the icons have to match? is it because the program is compiled together?

just seems to me that they are exclusive. kinda like if the 'help' section was a CC license instead of a GPL one, you'd still be able to include it...

-j, who is not dead, just has a wii
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

While it is an open question, it is just that: an open question. GPL and LGPL are concerned with free licensing of material with legal foundation in copyright laws. There's nothing that says source code is the only thing with copyright.

There are other free licenses that were created more with documentation in mind, but there are some open questions of even if they are compatible with other free licenses.

We are very conscious about the license of material that we bring in, particularly to ensure that it is fully compatible with being relicensed under GPL. For the most part, this means GPL and LGPL.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2