Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - more performance ...
more performance ...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImperatoR SH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: more performance ...

i have got an idea and want to give you a feedback^^

NeoOffice is very stable, and good intigrated in Mac OS X but the performance is not very good ...

my idea:
to increase the performance of NeoOffice you can build the apps "stand anlone"?

stand alone writer, impress... than you don't have to load so much data (into RAM) and NeoOffice will work faster!?

(sorry for my crap english^^)

my hardware: MacBook CoreDuo 1,83 GHz 512 MB-RAM. If i opened firefox and some other apps the macbook is very slow with a running NeoOffice...

imp Very Happy
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:

Ave, Imperator Smile

Don't worry about your English, this is a fairly multilingual (and tolerant) forum. As to your suggestion: NeoOffice is an OSX port of OpenOffice, which is an integrated office suite. As OpenOffice is written (all xx million lines of it!) as an integrated suite that is not separable into its individual components, it's not possible for NeoOffice to act any differently.

Some of the speed issues in NeoOffice are to do with it doing extra work to look like a native OSX aqua application (since it was originally written for windows). You would probably notice some speed improvement if you had more than 512Mb of ram, as OSX is already using a fair bite of that before you even load up NeoOffice (which is smaller in ram than it used to be, believe me), so once you start having many other apps open at the same time, there's very little room to move around in the memory. If you don't have the option of adding ram, I'm afraid you're just going to have to put up with Neo as it is, but I hope you find it useable anyway.

In those situations where speed really is most important, e.g. doing a search & replace in a very large document, you can always install OpenOffice OSX X11 alongside NeoOffice and use that - I personally find that Neo is better for just about everything else, but I have OpenOffice there just for emergencies! You will need to install the application X11 from your Tiger installation DVD if you haven't already installed it, as that is the environment that OpenOffice OSX X11 needs to run within, and it isn't installed by default.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions or make suggestions here, if you can't find the information you're looking for either by searching this forum or by reading the NeoWiki.

- padmavyuha
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1