Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Registration Problems
Registration Problems

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZesCoupe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Registration Problems

Created 2 accounts with 2 correct email addresses, one yesterday and one today - have received no confirm mail. All I wanted to do was register NeoOffice. As a Windows escapee with my first Mac this is the last thing I expected. Confused
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Being able to receive mail isn't a factor of your Mac, but rather of either your mail client or your ISPs mail servers. The registration server here is configured according to SMTP RFCs, and we can't correct other peoples' servers.

If you have a junk folder, you may want to check that. Sometimes this junk folder for blocked messages may not even be on your own mail client depending how your ISP has configured their servers.

ed
gavagai_for_me
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject:

I have - I guess - now 3 accounts. Either Trinity tells me: nickname is taken or account for this email exists or whatever.
As nickname I used "gavagai" and "gavagai_forget_it". Today I registered new with "gavagai_for_me" and another email address.
How can I condense these accounts? Or can anybody tell me which nickname plus password exists for my most common gavagai@gmx.de ? Another problem is that Trinity wants explicitly an eight digits password. Other providers want exactly 6 or explicitly letters and numbers or only letters or what-have you. My list with accounts, nicknames, and passwords needs extensive scrolling when I browse it.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

You should be able to acutally set trinity to remember your password. Many systems require eight characters or more for security purposes...shorter passwords are easily subject to brute force attacks.

If you private message me I can try to help consolidate the accounts for you (the Private Messages link in the top left box, or the "PM" button at the bottom of this post). You're correct in that even if registration fails trinity still reserves the nicknames.

ed
WouldBeRegistrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: E-mail from "Trinity server" come from phone serve

I block all e-mail from any e-mail client that is obviously on an ADSL- or cable-connected network, i.e. "mail servers" that come with names as follows: "206-72-79-247.dsl.dock.net" . If you can't have a proper reverse lookup to a host on a domain, i.e. "mail.trinity.org" as an example, I will not be able to take your e-mailed validation request.

In these days of absolutely rampant SPAM, I have found the best anti-spam technique is to refuse all mail from computers connected to residential networks, unless the IP address resolves to something resembling a server, and behaves like a server.

Sorry, I wanted to register my usage of NeoOffice, and I wanted the opportunity to participate as something other than "Anonymous", but your e-mail validation won't be working for me unless you have a mail server name other than "206-72-79-247.dsl.dock.net" Sad

trypma
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject:

What you and your ISP decide to block is beyond our control. If you refuse to accept valid e-mail from business DSL connections, that's your problem, not ours. Another alternative to adjusting your spam filter is to register for one of many free "throwaway" online e-mail accounts that has less draconian restrictions on what you can receive.

You can still contribute to the fora without needing to go through account registrationas you've already found out Laughing

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: E-mail from "Trinity server" come from phone s

WouldBeRegistrant wrote:
...If you can't have a proper reverse lookup to a host on a domain, i.e. "mail.trinity.org" as an example, I will not be able to take your e-mailed validation request.

No offense, but this is not how most of the internet is setup. You are assuming that every host connected to the internet has one, and only one, valid host name.

The reality is that your average web server connected to the internet has more than one host name assigned to the web server machine. This is called "virtual hosting" and is used by every web hosting company that I have every enountered. For example, the machine that my web hosting company hosts planamesa.com on has several hundred host names.

To put it bluntly, reverse DNS has largely been dead for many years now due to virtual hosting. In fact, if you look at the HTTP 1.1 specification (the means which most web servers expect web requests to be formatted), you will note that there is a required field called "Host". This field is where your client software (e.g. your browser) tells the web server which host name it is contacting since even the web server cannot do a reverse DNS lookup.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1