· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice and Filemaker
NeoOffice and Filemaker

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddexdonautal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice and Filemaker

Hi there,
i´m using NeoOffice 1.2.2. Patch0 and use Filemaker 7.03 as datasource. Filemaker is able to communicate via JDBC and ODBC. How can I use the filemakter data in NeoOffice? For example the Addresses in Letters etc.?
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice and Filemaker

Hi Paddexdonautal

Paddexdonautal wrote:
Hi there,
i´m using NeoOffice 1.2.2. Patch0 and use Filemaker 7.03 as datasource. Filemaker is able to communicate via JDBC and ODBC. How can I use the filemakter data in NeoOffice? For example the Addresses in Letters etc.?

Your question is quite unspecific, so here very shortly the necessary steps:
- you must have installed the FileMaker ODBC/JDBC Drivers
- you must have activated ODBC/JDBC sharing for your database
- the ODBC dsn (data source name) for the database must be configured
=> As this is FileMaker stuff, maybe you have to look for help elsewhere, if nobody has answers here. I couldn't help much - I have FileMaker 6 & 8, and this whole ODBC/JDBC stuff changed very much & I haven't used it with FileMaker so far (only with MySQL).

- create a data source in NeoOffice via an ODBC connection
- use dynamic fields / the Mail Merge Wizard to create a serial document based on the data source.

Now, where do you need specific help? (BTW, the NeoOffice help - menu Help > NeoOffice Help - is very often really ... err ... helpful!) Confused

Martin
Paddexdonautal
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Neooffice and Filemaker

Hello, thanks for answering.
I am beginner, that´s probably why the question is quite unspecific. Anyhow, i managed to install the filemakerstuff. How do I create a datasource in NeoOffice connected on ODBC?
And how do I create dynamic fields?
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Neooffice and Filemaker

Paddexdonautal wrote:
How do I create a datasource in NeoOffice connected on ODBC?

Well, Paddexdonautal, sad news: We both explore here new worlds, apparently (I couldn't find anything really helpful via Google). It took me 2 hours to set up ODBC, configuration paths, data source names (dsn) et. al., and when finally all seemed good & I could successfully load the driver & select my FileMaker database, connection failed with the error message:
Code:
SQL Status: HY000
Error code: 2704
[DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver]Error parsing connect string at offset 18.

So, NeoOffice (OpenOffice) says something on the connection attempt, which the driver doesn't understand. Crying or Very sad

I was using the driver from the download page there:
http://www.filemaker.com/developers/resources/odbc.html
with FileMaker Pro 8 - I guess the one on the install CD doesn't differ very much, but I will check next week when I'm at work. I won't describe all necessary steps now before I managed a succesful connection myself. But beware: It will be quite complicated (Anyone out there who could help debugging?). You might want consider to export a FileMaker database as Excel & use it as data source in NeoOffice. See this thread for some info:
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2759

Paddexdonautal wrote:
And how do I create dynamic fields?

There's some info & references in that thread:
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2777

Martin

(Edited some typos)
A4U
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Neooffice and Filemaker

Filemaker is able to export its records to a text file (.txt). We use this system already for merging with MS Word documents on Mac and on Windows.
Is it possible to convert the MS Word documents with the links to a NeoOffice document and re-use the textfile in the same way as in the MS Word document? Or is it only possible using a NeoOffice database?

Thanks

Dirk
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

I just checked the Help for NeoOffice 2.0, and it can use text documents as data sources. Go to NeoOffice help and type in "data source" you want the "data source explorer" entry; click on the underlined word Text in the description for more information on registering a text data source. I don't keep 1.2.2 around to know if can do the same thing, but check the help under "data source." I know 1.x can work from simple spreadsheets for a data source, as I did so at least once. I don't remember all the steps for it though.
Paddexdonautal
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Neooffice and Filemaker

A4U wrote:
Filemaker is able to export its records to a text file (.txt). We use this system already for merging with MS Word documents on Mac and on Windows.
Is it possible to convert the MS Word documents with the links to a NeoOffice document and re-use the textfile in the same way as in the MS Word document? Or is it only possible using a NeoOffice database?

Thanks

Dirk

Filemaker is also abel to export data as HTML Tabel. These can be used as Database by NeoOffice. Should work, but stores all data twice.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:

You also may want to look at the JDBC drivers for FileMaker as referenced here:

http://www.filemaker.com/developers/resources/odbc.html

There are some more JDBC specific PDFs linked to off of that page.

JDBC allows Java applications to access databases through common interfaces so the same Java code can be used with a variety of databases including MySQL and others. It will definitely require more configuration than text files. IIRC it also used to require FileMaker Server, so if you're not running that you may need to continue to stick with the interchange solution you've found Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1