Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to force a full re-install?
How to force a full re-install?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pigbite

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: How to force a full re-install?

Hi,

I have just got my first Mac (a 15" PB, 64gb free 512m,b RAM, OS X 10.3.3) today and want to install oOo as I have worked with it for soem time on my old Windows machine. I ran the 103 dmg install but for some reason the xfree86 portion failed with an out of memory - probably cos I was doing loads of other things at the time!

Anyways, the rest of the install finished Ok but of course oOo would not properly run. I ran the uninstaller and tried again but it just installed the oOo files.

I then did things like move xdarwin to trash, rm fondu, removed reciepts, preferences and so on but the installer still wont reinstall any of the supporting apps. Given I am a Mac newbie and only going on what other Mac owners and various forums have said I have probably cocked everything up but there we go!

The installer now thinks that XDarwin is not installed in the right location which I guess means that it thinks it is installed but cannot see it - no surprise as I trashed it Smile

Anyways, how can I fool the installer into thinking it needs to reinstall everything?

All help gratefully recieved!

BTW I am also downloading NeoOffice/J to see if that meets my needs but I would really like to get X11 oOo going...

Regards

Jez
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jez,
The key files the installer looks for to see if fondu and ghostscript are installed are not visible in the Finder (usual GUI) - they are burried in the unix innards of the system. You need to use the terminal program (in /Applications/Utilities) to get at them.

Start up Terminal, and type
Code:
 cd /usr/local/share [Return]
ls [Return]

You should see the directory ghostscript listed

IF you need to force a reinstall, type
Code:
 sudo mv ghostscript ~/ [Return]

and enter your password. This will make the installer think you need to upgrade ghostscript, and puts the folder in your home directory where you can see it (the ~ character in the command is shorthand for your home directory). However, if you haven't been deleting files from the terminal, you probably haven't done any damage to ghostscript anyway Smile

For fondu, you need
Code:
 cd  /usr/local/bin  [Return]
mv fondu ~/
(No sudo or password needed for this one), but again I doubt if this is required if you haven't been deleting from the terminal

The real problem is XDarwin. The OOo 1.0.3 installer is nearly a year old, and was released before OSX 10.3.0. The included XDarwin is known to have problems under 10.3.3, but this should not be a real issue as 10.3 includes Apples own version of X11. There should be a program called just "X11" in /Applications/Utilities. If it's there, try launching it, if not, it can be (re)installed from CD3 of your system disk set. The installer is X11User.pkg, in folder Packages. Once you have this installed and working, try the OOo installer again. It should detect that you have an X11 system installed already, and not try and install XDarwin. When you first launch the 'Start Open Office.org' program, it may ask you what X11 system you want to use. Pick Apple X11.

If you still get no luck, post back here

Cheers

Luke
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1