· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Ximian Stock icons
Ximian Stock icons

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Ximian Stock icons

Hi

Would it be possible to use the Ximian Stock icons in a next release instead of the actual ones ? because they are really more beautiful and really less Windows style than the actual one !

http://developer.ximian.com/themes/icons/ooo-icons.html
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I won't try this on my machine (because it might break it and I've got everything setup the way I want), but you could try just copying the Ximian symbols into the appropriate part of Neo/J.

1. quit NeoOfficeJ
2. download the symbols into their own directory (so you don't get them messed up with other stuff in your download directory)
3. Ctrl-click on the /Application/NeoOfficeJ icon
a. select "Show Package Contents"
4. navigate the directory structure to arrive at /Applications/NeoOfficeJ/Contents/share/config/symbol/
5. delete all of the preexisting graphics
6. copy or move the Ximian graphics into this directory
7. start NeoOfficeJ and see if it worked

Alternatively, you could rename the symbol directory and copy the Ximian-symbol directory into config, renaming it to symbol; or copy the default symbol directory to someplace outside of the NeoJ package; or .... (you get the idea)

Ximian has about 1,000 graphics on the referenced site. Be aware that Contents/share/config/symbol/ has only 384 graphics on my machine and the image names do not match with Ximian's.

Good luck!

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject:

From what Ed has told me, the stock Ximian icons require 32-bit image support in the OOo code but the OOo code only supports 24-bit images. So, my guess is that swapping in the Ximian icons will cause problems.

As for including them in the next release, I really doubt that it will happen. I know that Ed has spent a lot of time trying to get them, but the work became too timeconsuming.

If I have any time, I am likely to devote it to upgrading NeoJ to use the OOo 1.1 codebase. Adding prettier icons is much lower on my priority list.

Patrick
Woody1234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Great choice

Patrick good choice on devoting time to 1.1 vs non-value add tasks...

Can you give some idea of what skill set is needed to assist you with this task? I assume that Ed's work should make yours easier...

Is it Java coding? or like working on X11OO where you need to basically understand UNIX programming.
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
From what Ed has told me, the stock Ximian icons require 32-bit image support in the OOo code but the OOo code only supports 24-bit images. So, my guess is that swapping in the Ximian icons will cause problems.

As for including them in the next release, I really doubt that it will happen. I know that Ed has spent a lot of time trying to get them, but the work became too timeconsuming.

I have downloaded all of them, with photoshop, I have made a script to put a gray layer in back and to save them in BMP and it works.
I have already changed all the icons of Writer and Calc.
I can send them somewhere when all will be done. I can also send all the BMP I have prepared in 16x16 and 24x24, because I think they just need to be added in the source code while compiling ?

pluby wrote:
If I have any time, I am likely to devote it to upgrading NeoJ to use the OOo 1.1 codebase. Adding prettier icons is much lower on my priority list.

Patrick

Yes that's will be pretty good to have NeoOffice with OOo 1.1 ! Smile
Since it has a lot of nice new features !
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject:

Jack wrote:
I have downloaded all of them, with photoshop, I have made a script to put a gray layer in back and to save them in BMP and it works.
I can send them somewhere when all will be done. I can also send all the BMP I have prepared in 16x16 and 24x24, because I think they just need to be added in the source code while compiling ?

Putting a gray layer in back is a nice hack, but it makes me a bit nervous. The way that the underlying OOo code handles transparent images is that there are two images: a 24-bit or lower image (i.e. your gray background image) and either a transparent color or a 1-bit image where all the black pixels signify which pixels in the first image are to be drawn.

Maybe Ed can answer this, but the mystery to me is how this transparent color is specified in the code. Gray seems to be the used quite often as the transparent color, but I have found images that use magenta. Also, I am not sure which images use the 1-bit mask image to draw.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Jack wrote:

I tried converting some of the Ximian icons to BMP format with a gray background. But when I replace any of the sc*.bmp files in share/config/symbols with a converted Ximian BMP file, I still get the old OOo icon.

How did you swap in your converted Ximian BMP files?

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Jack wrote:

I tried converting some of the Ximian icons to BMP format with a gray background. But when I replace any of the sc*.bmp files in share/config/symbols with a converted Ximian BMP file, I still get the old OOo icon.

How did you swap in your converted Ximian BMP files?

Patrick

Because I put them in NeoOffice/Contents/share/config/symbol and I erase the other ones.
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Paraplegic_Racehorse wrote:
Ximian has about 1,000 graphics on the referenced site. Be aware that Contents/share/config/symbol/ has only 384 graphics on my machine and the image names do not match with Ximian's.

Not in the source code, there are more than 2'000.

If the software is compiled with the other ones, you'll get them all in both 16x16 and 24x24.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Jack,

Can you send me some of your converted bitmap files at patrick dot luby at planamesa dot com? If putting them in the share/config/symbol directory works, I may be able to put these into the portion of the NeoJ build where the installer is built. If this works, this would be a very easy way for me to integrate the icons.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I tried copying the files into my NeoOffice/J 0.8.1 installation and I still get the same old OOo icons. I also tried putting them into my OOo 1.0.3 and OOo 1.1 installations and they did not work. Here are the steps that I used.

1. cd to /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/share/config/symbol
2. delete all files
3. unzip the bmp files
4. start NeoOffice/J

I also tried renaming several bmp files to the same names as OOo 1.0.3 uses and it still did not work.

You aren't using one of the NeoOffice Aqua prototype builds are you? NeoOffice/J used the OOo 1.0.3 and the NeoOffice Aqua prototype uses the OOo 1.1 code plus maybe the Ximian patches.

Patrick
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject:

No I'm not using a prototype, just your built. Wink

In fact, I have seen something in the source code. You see, you have all the Ximian icons in my file. But they have a nma ok ?

To replace them you have 2 solutions : change the name with the one used in the source code.

The second, change manually all the icons of the software by customizing the toolbars, but for that, you must put my icon in the share/config/symbols of you software or it won't work. But in this soltion, all the icons won't be changed, only the toolbars.
Jack

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject:

It's possible to put the nice Ximian Stock Icons directly in the source code of NeoOffice before compiling from there :

http://ooo.ximian.com/packages/ooo-scaled-icons.tar.gz
M-Rick

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject:

Also

http://ooo.ximian.com/packages/OOO_1_0_3/ooo-icons-OOO_1_0_3-1.tar.gz

http://ooo.ximian.com/packages/ooo-icons-OOO_1_1-9.tar.gz
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1