· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - [ANN] "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9 released
[ANN] "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9 released

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: [ANN] "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9 released

Well it has been almost a year in coming, but I am pleased to announce a new version of "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9 (localized for US English and French) is now available.

You can find the latest version by visiting :

http://www.geocities.com/terry_teague/openoffice.html or
http://homepage.mac.com/teague/FileSharing2.html

This version should address a number of the issues that users have had. Please report any problems you encounter with the new version.

The list of changes includes :

Fix problem with the "Application.applescript" and "Utility.applescript" scripts being too long to edit with Script Editor - moved some handlers around, removed unused code etc, and created new "ChangeHistory.applescript" file.

Add support for Mac OS X 10.3.x Fast User Switching feature - each user has a different X11 DISPLAY. Original patches provided by Randolph Brown and others; support added to handle the actual X11 DISPLAY being used at runtime.

Add Preferences dialog field for the preferred X11 DISPLAY.

No longer need Direct to PostScript option.

Add support for handling files with special shell characters and Unicode characters in their filenames. Based on idea by Roger Jolly.

Add support for checking for updates, using MacPAD.

Add support for localized MacPAD messages.

Conditionally support the MacPAD "barber-pole" progress bar at runtime for different versions of Mac OS X.

Add additional User Defaults, including default "OpenOffice.org" module name.

No longer set DYLD_LIBRARIES_PATH.

Check if BSD tools are installed.

Default "OpenOffice.org" version to "OpenOffice.org" v1.1.x.

Add support for special handling of "-net" installs and "-net" workstation installs.

Launch "OpenOffice.org" document (if any), separately, after launching "OpenOffice.org" itself, to work around weird problems when documents have special shell chars in their name.

Major changes for handling paths and URLs.

Tidy-up debugging.

Fix bug with handling fonts dragged to "Start OpenOffice.org" after launch, if "soffice" has never been run (perhaps because of a X Window Server launch error).

Change Mac OS X 10.1.x hack to be an AppleScript Studio hack for older Mac OS X (< 10.2.3).

Increase wait time from 5-10 secs to 30 secs and improve checking for "OpenOffice.org" launch, as "OpenOffice.org" v1.1.x "pagein" process can take a long time on a slow machine before the "soffice" process is running.

Put up "Please Wait..." floating window before time consuming operations; automatically hide the window when choosing a X Window Server or when an error Alert is up.

Make "isProcessRunning" handler only look at processes for this user; and ignore "zombies".

Merge French localization resources from Yves de Champlain.

Regards, Terry
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Interaction with fondu

Terry,

I'm not sure if you want issues reported here or somewhere else....

I didn't see anything about these in the documentation, but it's also possible I missed it; if so, apologies Embarassed

1) When a pre-existing .TTF font is dragged onto S_OOo, it is opened by OOo rather than being passed off to fondu for a (not-needed) conversion or simply placed in the OOo font directory. (Since the 1.0.3GM installer had only fondu'd 1/2 of my fonts, I was dragging them in bunches to S_OOo for conversion.)

2) When for some reason the user running S_OOo does not have write access to the /Applications/<OOoVersion>/share/fonts/truetype directory (as happened to me with all of Kevin's recent 1.1.x Tech Previews; I don't know why, as I'm an admin user...), S_OOo a) doesn't try to install the converted fonts in the secondary ~/Library/Application Support/<OOoVersion>/user/fonts directory and b) doesn't provide any indication of an error/failure. Only if the user notices the fonts aren't appearing in OOo and tracks down the fonts folder might he/she have some idea what's wrong.

Obviously, both of these are at least 1/2 fondu problems, so I don't know if there's anything that can be done, but in the event something can, here's the report Very Happy (which sounded better the first time through before an evil crash took it away Sad )

Best,
Smokey
PB G4 1.33GHz/OS X 10.3.3/OOo 1.1.2 (TP3)/S_OOo 1.0b9
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Interaction with fondu

sardisson wrote:
1) When a pre-existing .TTF font is dragged onto S_OOo, it is opened by OOo rather than being passed off to fondu for a (not-needed) conversion or simply placed in the OOo font directory. (Since the 1.0.3GM installer had only fondu'd 1/2 of my fonts, I was dragging them in bunches to S_OOo for conversion.)

"Start OpenOffice.org" only converts certain types of font files, anything else it assumes is a regular document that OOo can handle. I don't believe there is any point in trying to convert ".ttf" files; I suppose I could special case check if any files are being dragged from a "Fonts" folder in one of the standard System places, and pass them to "fondu", or just move the "non-font" files myself.

sardisson wrote:
2) When for some reason the user running S_OOo does not have write access to the /Applications/<OOoVersion>/share/fonts/truetype directory (as happened to me with all of Kevin's recent 1.1.x Tech Previews; I don't know why, as I'm an admin user...), S_OOo a) doesn't try to install the converted fonts in the secondary ~/Library/Application Support/<OOoVersion>/user/fonts directory and b) doesn't provide any indication of an error/failure. Only if the user notices the fonts aren't appearing in OOo and tracks down the fonts folder might he/she have some idea what's wrong.

I assume you found the converted fonts at the root of your hard drive - this behavior is somewhat documented. At the moment "Start OpenOffice.org" assumes that the user data is in the OOo installation hierarchy (and you have write access), because generally "Start OpenOffice.org" only deals with the OOo program code, and resolves any sumlinks etc. But I see your point, and strictly speaking you could consider this to be a bug which I will fix in the next version. As for the error reporting - I debated about this, and in the end I decided to fail silently (again somewhat documented).

Thanks for the report.

Regards, Terry
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Interaction with fondu

Terry Teague wrote:
I don't believe there is any point in trying to convert ".ttf" files; I suppose I could special case check if any files are being dragged from a "Fonts" folder in one of the standard System places, and pass them to "fondu", or just move the "non-font" files myself.

I don't think there's any point in converting .ttf files, either, but it would make it easier to use S_OOo to fondu masses of fonts if the .ttf files got copied to the OOo directories while the rest were converted Smile

Terry Teague wrote:
sardisson wrote:
2) When for some reason the user running S_OOo does not have write access to the /Applications/<OOoVersion>/share/fonts/truetype directory....

I assume you found the converted fonts at the root of your hard drive - this behavior is somewhat documented.

No, I didn't; sorry, I meant to mention that but got distracted when I lost the first attempt at posting Sad The converted fonts were nowhere to be found.

Terry Teague wrote:
At the moment "Start OpenOffice.org" assumes that the user data is in the OOo installation hierarchy

That's senible; I never would have known about the other fonts folder in my ~/Library/Application Support/... had I not noticed that was where FontOOo put the fonts it downloaded....

Best,
Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1