· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 0.8.3 release coming soon
NeoOffice/J 0.8.3 release coming soon

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: NeoOffice/J 0.8.3 release coming soon

The number of bug fixes that I have made to NeoOffice/J 0.8.2 is getting very large. So, I am planning on releasing NeoOffice/J 0.8.2 in the next week or so (i.e. before the Apple WWDC conference).

NeoOffice/J 0.8.3 will basically be NeoOffice/J 0.8.2 plus the latest patch available here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install

If you can, please help test the latest patch and report any crashes or big bugs that you find.

Also, if I have any bugs in Bugzilla that I have marked as "resolved", can you verify that the latest patch fixes your bug?

Thanks,

Patrick
wchutt01
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject:

Patrick,

First and foremost - thank you, thank you, thank you for NeoOfficeJ!

Recently I reported three bugs on Neo_BugZilla about Impress crashes. I reterned to this project a few days ago.

I observed none of these after installing the most recent patch

jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject:

Within Sun, some users reported that the window resizing widget in the lower right corner does not display properly.

Here is the workaround suggested. Don't know if you would call this a bug or preference issue.

Additionally, the problem with this solution is that it needs to be repeated each time Neo/J is installed or possibly patched.

------

You need to modify '/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/setup'.

Find the line with 'com.apple.mrj.application.growbox.windowshidden' and change it from 'true' to 'false'. Normally, I would expect to just edit '$HOME/Library/NeoOfficeJ/user/config/javarc', but that file is overwritten each time you fire up NeoOfficeJ.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject:

jimlaurent wrote:
Within Sun, some users reported that the window resizing widget in the lower right corner does not display properly.

Here is the workaround suggested. Don't know if you would call this a bug or preference issue.

It is not a bug. I added the code that you found in the "setup" because OOo draws underneath a window's grow box. There is usually nothing terribly important under the grow box but I had added that could so that the full visual layout that OOo draws can be seen.

Note that the grow box still works, it just isn't painted.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject:

Jim,

After my last reply, I was trying to remember what problem initially caused me to implement the grow box hiding (I rarely change anything just because it looks better, I usually only change things to fix bugs).

Well, I remembered why I implemented this. You may or may not know this, but NeoJ does all of its drawing into an offscreen buffer and then, periodically, copies that buffer to its matching window. This uses more memory than drawing directly to the window, but drawing directly to the window is much slower due to OOo's need to scrape pixels from the screen for many of its drawing operations.

A while back, I thought that I'd try drawing directly to the window one more try as I wanted to reduce NeoJ's memory usage. After much work, I still found direct drawing to the window to be slower than the offscreen buffer approach. However, I apparently left in the grow box hiding behavior.

What does the grow box hiding behavior have to do with direct drawing to the window? As I mentioned, OOo is constantly scraping pixels from the screen and, if I draw directly to the window, the grow box will be scraped instead of what OOo draws underneath the grow box which caused very strange drawing bahavior.

Since I have given up on drawing directly to the screen (at for short term), I think that I will remove this grow box hiding from the "setup" file for the NeoJ 0.8.3 release.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject:

Jim,

I just posted "patch-5" at the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install

"patch-5" is "patch-4" plus the "setup" file without the grow box hiding property.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1