· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test
OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test

I just finished uploading the OOo 1.1.2 version installer for test. It's on neooffice server and is named "ooo112darwinrc2.dmg". Again, it is recommended that you use a command-line FTP client to properly see any error messages from the server (or actually anything except Safari, which doesn't show them).

ftp://ftp.neooffice.org/ooo112darwinrc2.dmg
File size: 177431390
MD5 Sum : 9e557d023626ebf1d3c153afad044ca1

Changes since the previous RC1 installer:

- Move to Start OpenOffice.org 1.0b9
    - Move to 1.1.2 code base
    - Installer is now authenticated for installation to privileged locations
    - Automatic invocation of subinstallers for dependencies. Only graphical subinstaller that remains is XFree86 for 10.2 systems.
    - Prompting and invocation for installing Apple X11 from Panther CDs.
    - Installer verifies presence of BSD subsystem
    - Change Panther installations to map system supplied pstopdf instead of using ghostscript
    - Removal of unnecessary libdl dependency checking

Most of my testing thus far has been on 10.3 systems, but I've only 'smoke tested' once or twice on 10.2 systems and haven't done a clean install requiring all the dependencies. Please let me know if you see any issues!

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test

OPENSTEP wrote:

- Removal of unnecessary libdl dependency checking

I assume that you built OOo on Jaguar, no?

If so, did you have any problems building libdl? I ask this because I checked out the cws_srx645_ooo112fix2 branch yesterday and I found that my libdl patches were not part of the build. I posted a new set of patches to fix this at:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=29505

Patrick
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test

I have OOo_Tech_Preview3 installed.
Is there any change with "OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test"?
ie Should I stick with what I have or is there any advantage to change?

Thanx

al amaloney
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject:

Yes, this build was made on Jaguar. I've got a frozen partition that serves as my build environment, running 10.2.8 and dynamically linking against XFree86 4.2.0.1. The original source I used was 112fix1 and integrated the changes, but I didn't change anything w.r.t. dlcompat.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test

amaloney wrote:

There's no drastic underlying changes in OOo itself. The only advantage to changing is to test a new installer Smile The reason for this installer, again, is to support all system configurations from 10.2 up and to be aggressive about installing all of the additional applications needed to run, including X11.

If you are already using TP3 as a user and aren't interested in doing installer testing, then you can make them roughly equivalent by grabbing Terry's latest Start OOo version from his website (1.0b9):

http://www.geocities.com/terry_teague/openoffice.html

ed
Alan Charlesworth

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test

The Technology Preview 4 installer for OOo 1.1.2 is only around 75 MB, while this one is around 175 MB. Is the extra 100 MB necessary to support Mac OS X 10.2 and to include X11?

If so, might it be useful to release a 10.3-only version of the installer that would save 100 MB of download for people with modest-speed connections.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the extra size is required for the 10.2 support as well as the other supporting applications. The TP installers primarily include only OOo and a minimal set of supporting apps...whereas the IA installers are intended to work universally on all supported Mac OS systems. Pop it in, double click, and you're good to go. That's the experience I want all users to be able to have Smile

I will not be doing a 10.3 only installer for a few reasons...

Our testing resources are thin on the ground, not to mention development resources. As such, it's better to narrow down the number of things that need to be developed and tested in order to focus effort and improve quality. It's my intention to provide X11 based tarballs for experienced users who are comfortable with using OOo and are willing to do all of the dependency installation manually.

ed

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject:

Installed on 10.3.4 on a 12" PowerBook 1.33GHz, and noticed several things:

1. It failed to launch due to missing /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib I thought this dependency was eliminated? Once I placed the library there, it launched. Obviously, this was not detected in the installation process.

2. In the release notes in the installer, there is a mention of 1.1.3 (?) and a mention of 1.0.1. Minor typos...

3. I really dislike a lot of things about 'Start OpenOffice', which I won't go into here, but there's no reason for it to display a 'Please Wait...' dialogue on top of the OO splashscreen on launch.

4. As mentioned in the previous installer thread, this version does NOT have the command-key mappings appropriate for OS X. This is a showstopper for deployment for me, so I have to stay with 1.0.3 for now. Will this be patched for the final release?

I already had GhostScript 7.05-6 installed, so I can't comment on whether it functions properly without it. I'll test that separately later. Right now I'm busy updating my script which standardises preferences for my users, since paths and xml (xcu?) file formats have apparently changed since 1.0.3. I was hoping that updating my script would be as simple as doing s/"1.0.3"/"1.1.2"/g but it's turning out to be more involved....

I'll post more when/if I run into it.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: fly-outs

One other minorly-broken thing is how flyouts behave. You should be able to click on any of the items in the sidebar (Insert Fields, Insert Object, Draw Functions) or the Font Highlighting button in the toolbar and select something WITHOUT it 'tearing off' right away. This worked in 1.0.3. Now, clicking on any of those immediately generates an (unwanted) tear-off palette that has to be closed. 'New' 'Undo' and 'Edit Autotext' are the only three I've found that *are* working correctly, so it's not a global problem...

Along those lines, the mouseover help for the top item in the sidebar just says 'Insert' when it should say 'Insert Table' .
crislipm

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: installer 1.1.2

First time I ran the installer it stopped on convert-lucida.sh and filled up my hard drive until I ran out of space. Forced quit, deleted everything, the next time it stopped at convert-lucida.sh for an hour and a half without filling the hard drive, forced quit, ran convert-lucida.sh (do not know what, if anything, it did).
OOO1.1.2 seems to work fine (faster than 1.1.1)

system 10.3.4 on a 800 powerbook

I hope this is where I should pass this on. I have no clue as to why this happened

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Also, the installer dropped the following file in my home directory...

fix_ooo_installation.sh.txt:

Arguments /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/fix_ooo_installation.sh, /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2, /Volumes/perdition/ooo-1.1.2-install\n
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test

OPENSTEP wrote:
amaloney wrote:

There's no drastic underlying changes in OOo itself. The only advantage to changing is to test a new installer Smile The reason for this installer, again, is to support all system configurations from 10.2 up and to be aggressive about installing all of the additional applications needed to run, including X11.ed

I did a quick test of the Installer tonight - I accidentally installed (in Mac OS X 10.2.x) over a TechPreview3 or TechPreview4 installation Shocked, but apart from the fact my ".sversionrc" file wasn't updated to include this installation, a quick test of the installation worked fine.

I did find a number of errors in the documentation etc, and I will probably do more testing over the weekend, and send you a EMail list of the things I found.

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Start OpenOffice.org

Anonymous wrote:
Installed on 10.3.4 on a 12" PowerBook 1.33GHz, and noticed several things:

3. I really dislike a lot of things about 'Start OpenOffice', which I won't go into here, but there's no reason for it to display a 'Please Wait...' dialogue on top of the OO splashscreen on launch.

Glad no-one is forcing you to use "Start OpenOffice" Wink The "Please Wait..." windoid was a response to a number of problems - you should try OOo on a 500 MHz G3 iBook Wink

But since you brought the subject up, I might try to improve the "Please Wait..." activation in the next version - perhaps put it up after say 5 secs have passed if the task we are waiting for hasn't completed.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject:

Terry -

I appreciate the work you've put into this applet, but I have to train & support 60+ people at work and the way it works is a constant source of frustration and complaints from the userbase.

OO is definitely 'different' from other OS X applications, but we need to minimise this for the users. With other applications, the icon you click on to launch it represents "The Program" in users' minds. e.g. click on the icon labled Mozilla = launch Mozilla (if not running) = bring Mozilla to front (if running) = open a new Mozilla window (if running with no windows open). Either way, clicking on the icon on the dock makes "something" happen and results in them having the program they want. Furthermore, they can tell whether an app is running by the indicator in the dock.

With "Start...", that doesn't happen. If they click on it, it launches OO the first time. Fine, so far, but then they get X11 launched as well. From now on, Start... is useless. It represents OpenOffice in the users' minds, it *says* "OpenOffice" when you point to it in the dock, but clicking on it does NOT bring OO to the front nor relaunch it if it's not running. I know you have the 'File' menu in Start... but nobody uses it and it's totally inconsistant to try to train people on. I have to show that OO is the exception to the rule about menubars being a the top of the screen, so now I am going to take a new (Windows-centric) user and say:

"OK, click this to launch Office, but it really isn't the program, it just starts the program. Then, while it's running, see this "X" that appeared? You have to click on *that* to bring OO to the front if you need to.. No, No, No, don't click on *that* icon, it doesn't do anything once the program is running.... Oops, you closed the last window, so click on that icon.... yes, I know I just told you not to... now go to 'File' and pick - no, you can't get to the templates from here, that's the *other* 'File' in the program - pick 'New Text Document', and wait while it starts up <.....> ok now go to 'File', no not that 'File' that we were just in, you need *this* 'File', not the one in the menu bar... yes, I know I said earlier that Mac programs have their menu bar at the top of the screen, but ignore what you see there in this program..., now go down to 'New' and pick 'Templates'"........."

...and by this time the user is bitching about not wanting to use a Mac, and how they thought Mac's were supposed to be easier, and why can't we just use Microsoft Office.... I've done this routine so many times I'm sick of it. I've tried putting aliases to blank .stw and .stc templates on the desktop for them to click on, but that causes Start... to launch and once it does, and they see it in the dock, the questions/complaints/etc. begin all over again.

If I could program in anything other than bash, I'd make the needed changes myself. Since I can't, all I can do is beg you to rethink your UI and at least offer a second version of the applet:

- NO menu bar items *at all*. I know it's possible to do this by editing the appropriate .nib
- Pop-up menu when right-clicking on the dock icon, which contains Quit, Preferences, New... and Configure Printer entries
- Selecting 'Quit' should bring up a dialogue with choices of 'Quit Office Entirely' and 'Only Quit the QuickStart Utility'
- on 'Click', if OpenOffice is *not* running, launch OpenOffice with no prompt. This makes it feel to the user like clicking on any other icon and getting what one expects - the program.
- on 'Click', if OpenOffice *is* running but is not the foreground app, bring it to the front.

And lastly, PLEASE change the name of it. Normal users think of it AS OpenOffice, like they think of the Mozilla icon AS Mozilla, and the 'Start...' nomenclature is confusing and leads to further explanations. The juxtaposition of 'Quit Start' in the File menu looks like a typo and is just odd. Why not refer to it as the OfficeLauncher or OpenOffice QuickStart?

If we want greater adoption of OO, we have to be realistic about how actual, non-geek, end-users interact with it. I'm offering a serious, real-life example, and if you'd like to see it in-person, let me know when you're in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks again for your work, and please take this as constructive criticism, not dissing your app.

Len
(IT Director for a bunch of architects)
Jim Plante

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: 1.1.2rc download

Just tried to download this file by using ftp://ftp.neooffice.org/ooo112darwinrc2.dmg in Internet Explorer. Got two errors, then the DL began. I cancelled it, because I noticed the filename was 1.0.3gm, not 112.

Is that FTP address correct? And was I getting the right file?

I'm writing some download/install instructions for the OOo site for OS X, and I want to be sure the correct file downloads before I provide a bogus link.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3