NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test
OOo 1.1.2 RC 2 Installer for Test

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Start OpenOffice.org

Anonymous wrote:
Terry -

I appreciate the work you've put into this applet, but I have to train & support 60+ people at work and the way it works is a constant source of frustration and complaints from the userbase.

Thanks again for your work, and please take this as constructive criticism, not dissing your app.

Len
(IT Director for a bunch of architects)

But that's part of the problem - I am open to constructive criiticism, not random anonymous comments in an online forum. If "Start OpenOffice.org" is a constant source of frustration to your users, why did you not contact me directly with your concerns, which I might have been able to address? [If you are "Len Laughridge" then you contacted me once, over a year ago, with an initial inquriy to which I responded, and heard no more from you]

I will read your other comments offline, and respond if necessary.

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1.1.2rc download

Jim Plante wrote:
Just tried to download this file by using ftp://ftp.neooffice.org/ooo112darwinrc2.dmg in Internet Explorer. Got two errors, then the DL began. I cancelled it, because I noticed the filename was 1.0.3gm, not 112.

Is that FTP address correct? And was I getting the right file?

Worked for me, and I'm sure others who have downloaded it. As Ed suggested, I used the Mac OS X command line tool "ftp" to (interactively) download the file, rather than something like MSIE.

Regards, Terry
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject:

Ed,

I downloaded your installer and ran it on my Jaguar machine.

Overall, it looks good and the built-in libdl works perfectly. However, I noticed two very small problems:

1. A "fix_<something>.sh.txt" file was created in my home directory. This contained what looked like a usage statement from a script (e.g. "Arguments required...). I suspect that one of your scripts is being invoked with the wrong arguments. If you send me the script and I will be happy to debug it.

2. Even after running Start_OpenOffice.org, my ~/.sversion file does not contain the required line for the new installation. Maybe this is related to issue #1 above or maybe it is due to the fact that my existing ~/.versionrc looks like following. Note that I already have a 1.1.2 installation that is commented out. This is from a separate installation from my own build and is not created by your installer:

Code:

[Versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.0.3=file:///Users/pluby/OpenOffice.org1.0.3
;OpenOffice.org 1.1.2=file:///Users/pluby/OpenOffice.org1.1.2

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Installer "hangs" on covert_lucida.sh and other so

Finally got some time to test the new installer on my system (OS X 10.3.4, PB G4 1.33 GHz, 512 MB RAM), and I'm running in to some of the same problems reported earlier in this thread.

First, the installer initially crashed as it was configuring itself (the screen w/progress bar and the OOo Mac OS X (X11) logo); this happened to me with the previous installer, too. As before, I was able to work around that by installing while logged in as my "test" user; this time I was also able to avoid the crash by logging out (as my day-to-day [admin] user) and logging back in, which I don't think worked before. Anyway, crash log is http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/ooo/Install_OOo112rc2.crash.log.txt if you want a look.

Two intermediate points about the installer screens:

1) The default install location gets reported as pictured below:

My disk name is not "Mac OS X Startup Disk", which is what the quotes are implying to me (ie, each quoted item is an actual disk/folder name), and this might confuse users.

2) After clicking (ok or continue or next, can't remember now which it was) on the "Choose Subcomponents" screen (which has no "real" choices, at least for me--Typical or Custom but neither say anything about what they install--so can this screen be skipped, or are there options for people who don't have fondu, X11, etc. already?), the installer "stalls" with no feedback (ie, no beachball) that it's thinking or even that the click has been accepted. The first time I installed, I clicked a couple of times and, when the thinking was over, found myself in the install process, the clicks having been passed to the next few screens!

Finally, during the actual, as both users (multiple times), the installer just hung on the Converting Fonts/convert_lucida.sh stage (having completed it, as far as I can tell). I looked into <OOo>/share/fonts/truetype and noticed no new fonts being added for over 10 minutes, so I then killed the installer. Each time I ran the installer (twice as each user), a different number of fonts were converted. I also noticed that a half-dozen or so fonts were (copied to? mal-fondu'd?) /tmp/font_conversion as 0 byte files (they're most definitely not 0 bytes). Could this be related to the hang?

I don't know what scripts are supposed to run after convert_lucida.sh, but the installed OOo appeared to work properly....

Some final (post-install-ish) issues:

1. Like Patrick mentioned, I ended up with a fix_OOo_install... something-or-other file in ~

2. convert_lucida.sh remained in the OOo directory (I suspect this would have been deleted had the installer finished, as well as the /tmp/font_conversion directory--which is not cleared by a log-out?)

3. The <OOo> directory and hierarchy are all write-protected [owner=system], which, as I mentioned to Terry regarding Start_OOo and the Tech Previews, prevents Start_OOo from installing fonts when one goes to install the ones that didn't get fondu'd by the OOo installer (would this also have been fixed by the installer finishing?)

4. There was no .sversionrc update for my main user (because of the existing entry from TP4?), but it was updated for my test user; however the format was different, test user:
Code:
OpenOffice.org 1.1.2=file:///Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/

vs main user:
Code:
OpenOffice.org 1.1.2=file:///Users/smokey/Library/Application%20Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2

5. *Some* existing (non-Mac/Windows) .ttf were not copied to <OOo>/share/fonts/truetype, though others were, with no apparent rhyme or reason to it.

I hope some of this will be helpful.

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:44 am; edited 2 times in total
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject:

(just got back from Reunions and can now reply!)

Anonymous wrote:
1. It failed to launch due to missing /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib I thought this dependency was eliminated?

Yes, this should have been eliminated. The dlcompat patches were applied...I'm wondering if perhaps the link line is using -ldl and the path is wrong for the build. The box it was built on still has that lib installed, but it shouldn't have to be.

Anonymous wrote:

2. In the release notes in the installer, there is a mention of 1.1.3 (?) and a mention of 1.0.1. Minor typos...

Ernk. I thought

Anonymous wrote:
this version does NOT have the command-key mappings appropriate for OS X. This is a showstopper for deployment for me, so I have to stay with 1.0.3 for now. Will this be patched for the final release?

The meta patches are in my build, so perhaps something else may be wrong. I didn't test them personally, just fixed the code. Are you using Apple X11 on Panther or one of the XFrees?

Anonymous wrote:
Right now I'm busy updating my script which standardises preferences for my users, since paths and xml (xcu?) file formats have apparently changed since 1.0.3.

Yes, the xcu settings did change quite dramatically. That was one of the things that slowed me down in doing the installer work was figuring the changes out.

If you need help looking at the xcu files, I remember Dan posted some of the redhat scripts for 1.1.1 distribution that are a bit helpful. Also look at the ximian patches for how they change the settings...those were quite helpful for me.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fly-outs

Anonymous wrote:
button in the toolbar and select something WITHOUT it 'tearing off' right away. This worked in 1.0.3.

This was actually a behaviour change between 1.0 and 1.1 that was made for all Unix platforms (e.g. it wasn't intentional for the Mac build, it just got inherited). In 1.0.3, all of the tear off palettes are still contained within the document window itself. In 1.1, all the tear off palettes are their own separate floating windows and are not tied to the document window. The new window types are standard, and there's no way to revert them back to the old style that I'm aware of Sad

Anonymous wrote:
Along those lines, the mouseover help for the top item in the sidebar just says 'Insert' when it should say 'Insert Table' .

Can you file this in the main OOo bugzilla database? It's probably incorrect on all platforms, not just Mac.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: installer 1.1.2

crislipm wrote:
First time I ran the installer it stopped on convert-lucida.sh and filled up my hard drive until I ran out of space.

convert-lucida is the script that runs fondu on all of the fonts in the standard OS X locations to extract them to TTF files which later get moved into the OOo fonts directory. I'm really unsure of what would happen if it ran out of disk drive space while running...I expect it should have caused fondu conversion to fail and the installer should have exited.

It uses space in temporary directories when performing the conversion but normally should "mv" all the files out of the temp location. I really am unsure of when OS X cleans up temporary directories, so if you ran out of drive space it may take time for the space from the font conversion to get reclaimed.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Also, the installer dropped the following file in my home directory...

fix_ooo_installation.sh.txt

That is a debugging echo that I thought I had taken out. It will be removed Smile

For the curious, IA authenticated installers run command line actions with differently formatted paths then when it is not authenticated. This broke the method that I was using to pass the path of the installation location to the scripts. Formerly it was extracted from $0, but now it is passed as its own argument to the script.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.1.2rc download

Jim Plante wrote:
I cancelled it, because I noticed the filename was 1.0.3gm, not 112.

Is that FTP address correct? And was I getting the right file?

The link is correct, but you must have been going somewhere else or the autocomplete must have kicked in...there is no 103gm file on the FTP server. Try using another FTP client to connect to ftp.neooffice.org and get a listing.

There is an anonymous limit of two connections to the server to give priority and bandwidth to testers Smile Safari and some other clients don't properly report the server's error message of why the connection attempt failed and instead report it as a broken link.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installer "hangs" on covert_lucida.sh and othe

Thanks for the detailed feedback...it's quite helpful!

sardisson wrote:
First, the installer initially crashed as it was configuring itself (the screen w/progress bar and the OOo Mac OS X (X11) logo)

Thanks for the link to the crash log. I was trying to work with ZeroG on this problem for a while, but then they found out I wasn't a paying customer and then became less proactive in helping me solve it. They said it was a problem in Apple's Java VM and reinstalling Java was reported to have solved the problem for users.

It's not just our installer...it seems to be endemic to specific machines but ZeroG hasn't nailed down the problem Sad

sardisson wrote:
My disk name is not "Mac OS X Startup Disk", which is what the quotes are implying to me (ie, each quoted item is an actual disk/folder name), and this might confuse users.

Good point. I think I'm using the standard IA screen for that panel, and I'm unsure if it will offer me the opportunity to change it to the name of the actual startup disk.

sardisson wrote:
or are there options for people who don't have fondu, X11, etc. already?)

Yes, if the auxiliary programs are needed they can be turned on and off through their own checkboxes. This was added so people could choose to use their own versions of helpers instead of enforcing the installation of the ones in the installer. Users were particularly concerned with Ghostscript...they didn't want to overwrite an 8.x version with a 7.x one.

sardisson wrote:
the installer "stalls" with no feedback (ie, no beachball) that it's thinking or even that the click has been accepted.

I've seen this on my test box but never saw it as a long pause. It's another ZeroG related bug. I'll troll through their online forums to see if I can find a solution. This is the one that is appearing right before the "Available Space" screen, right? I may be able to just skip that screen.

sardisson wrote:
Finally, during the actual, as both users (multiple times), the installer just hung on the Converting Fonts/convert_lucida.sh stage (having completed it, as far as I can tell).

I don't know what scripts are supposed to run after convert_lucida.sh, but the installed OOo appeared to work properly....

convert_lucida is the last step in the installer process. After it the only things that happen are some cleanup of those shell scripts for when they get removed. Someone else also reported problems with fondu not working properly. I haven't encountered them but will start to think about the process to determine any problems. If I can't think of anything I may need to add debugging utilities to the script.

sardisson wrote:
1. Like Patrick mentioned, I ended up with a fix_OOo_install... something-or-other file in ~

Just debugging cruft left over from an argument passing problem I was debugging (see above). I mistakenly left it in.

sardisson wrote:

2. convert_lucida.sh remained in the OOo directory (I suspect this would have been deleted had the installer finished, as well as the /tmp/font_conversion directory--which is not cleared by a log-out?)

Yup...had that script not failed it would have been deleted post haste Smile

sardisson wrote:

3. The <OOo> directory and hierarchy are all write-protected [owner=system], which, as I mentioned to Terry regarding Start_OOo

Right now the installer does use that 755/644 permissions. They changed in 1.1 for other Unix platforms, and I can understand the security implications that caused that change.

Do you think that making the font directory should be publicly writeable by default would be a reasonable solution? Or is adding fonts a security violation?

sardisson wrote:
4. There was no .sversionrc update for my main user (because of the existing entry from TP4?)

Yes. The support system that's installed only updates sversionrc if 1.1.2 hasn't been installed previously. This is relevant for TP users. The installer no longer erases .sversionrc since users now may have multiple versions installed. I hadn't thought about the case where the path itself may need to be updated, but it also makes sense to write it to handle cases where OOo itself is moved on the system.

sardisson wrote:

5. *Some* existing (non-Mac/Windows) .ttf were not copied to <OOo>/share/fonts/truetype, though others were, with no apparent rhyme or reason to it.

Were these fonts in your OS X directories, or fonts you had previously converted and added to OOo? I just realized the font conversion scripts are "brain dead" about previous OOo installations. Logically we should do the conversion as well as move over the fonts from any 1.0.3 installation. I'll make sure to fix that Smile

sardisson wrote:

I hope some of this will be helpful.

Incredibly so!!! Thanks for the great feedback!!

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2rc2 Installer

pluby wrote:
2. Even after running Start_OpenOffice.org, my ~/.sversion file does not contain the required line for the new installation. Maybe this is related to issue #1 above or maybe it is due to the fact that my existing ~/.versionrc looks like following. Note that I already have a 1.1.2 installation that is commented out. This is from a separate installation from my own build and is not created by your installer:

Code:

[Versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.0.3=file:///Users/pluby/OpenOffice.org1.0.3
;OpenOffice.org 1.1.2=file:///Users/pluby/OpenOffice.org1.1.2

Yes, Ed's setup script ("soffice") is not very sophisticated Wink

Here is what it does :

Code:
# update sversionrc, if necessary.  This simply tacks on our 1.1.2 ID line onto the end.

if [ -e ~/.sversionrc ] ; then
        /usr/bin/grep "OpenOffice.org 1.1.2" ~/.sversionrc
        if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
            echo "OpenOffice.org 1.1.2=file://$INSTALL_FOLDER" >> ~/.sversionrc
        fi
    fi

So, in your case, it didn't touch the ~/.sversionrc file. Ed could spend a lot of time on handling all the special cases, but it is probably easier just to document if you already have OOo 1.1.2 installed, it is assumed you know what you are doing, and can add the ~/.sversionrc entry yourself.

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: dlcompat

OPENSTEP wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
1. It failed to launch due to missing /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib I thought this dependency was eliminated?

Yes, this should have been eliminated. The dlcompat patches were applied...I'm wondering if perhaps the link line is using -ldl and the path is wrong for the build. The box it was built on still has that lib installed, but it shouldn't have to be.

I will be sending you a full report of problems after I do some more tests, but I too fell victim to a dlcompat problem.

I think I (and maybe others) were blind-sided by the recent dlcompat patches that Patrick supplied for OOo itself, in that other things still require the /usr/local/lib/libdl.0.dylib or /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib.

Specifically I used the OOo 1.1.2rc2 IA Installer to install onto a Jaguar system that hadn't seen XDarwin or OOo before, and so the installer installed everything I supposedly needed - I chose windowmaker as my Window Manager (I wonder if OroborOSX would have the same problem - I will probably try that tomorrow).

After a successful installation, for whatever reason, I decided to launch XDarwin manually first - windowmaker crashed because it wanted /usr/local/lib/libdl.0.dylib. This is not good.

I don't know if the simple act of launching OOo (via "Start OpenOffice.org") which sets the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to include OOo is sufficient to satisfy windowmaker's libdl needs or not - sounds a little like Russian Roulette to me.

I typically build OOo with libdl on my system, and install libdl onto systems on which I run OOo.

I think we need to rethink this a bit.

Regards, Terry
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: dlcompat

Terry,

Terry Teague wrote:
I think I (and maybe others) were blind-sided by the recent dlcompat patches that Patrick supplied for OOo itself, in that other things still require the /usr/local/lib/libdl.0.dylib or /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib.

I use XFree86 4.2 plus OroborOSX. In this configuration, only OOo needs libdl and, since it carries its libdl, the libdl package does not need to be installed.

The problem seems to be that windowmaker (and maybe other software?) that Ed's installer installs is linked to libdl. If Ed's installer installs software that has its own libdl requirement, I think there are ony two choices available:

1. Remove those software packages from the installer

- or -

2. Add back the libdl installation.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Terry Teague wrote:
Quote:
But that's part of the problem - I am open to constructive criiticism, not random anonymous comments in an online forum. If "Start OpenOffice.org" is a constant source of frustration to your users, why did you not contact me directly with your concerns, which I might have been able to address? [If you are "Len <last-name-deleted>" then you contacted me once, over a year ago, with an initial inquriy to which I responded, and heard no more from you]

What problem?!? I thought this thread was *soliciting* feedback - my mistake.... My comments are the same whether I chose to post anonymously or with a name, and I *did* use my first name in my posting to you. I'm tired of setting up email addresses for forums only to have them become spamtraps, and having had some identity-theft concerns recently I'm trying to minimise spreading my name on too many forums. Thanks a lot for posting my full name without knowing if it was even me you were talking to - moderators: please edit Terry's previous posting to obfuscate my last name, please.

Yes, I contacted you a year ago, and as your answer fully satisfied my question, there was no need for further dialogue. At that time I believed that a non-Aqua/non-X11 version of OO was not so far away, so my initial intent was to run StarOffice/OO remotely from a Solaris box via an exported $DISPLAY (which was the subject of that email to you). Once OO 1.0.3gm was available, I switched to that. Users found using "Start OpenOffice.org" less friendly than what they had been used to under Solaris/KDE, and new hires presented their own training challenges. Being quite preoccupied with deploying and training new hardware/OS/CAD platforms, this "...constant source of frustration..." was put off until I could deal with it, which happens to be now.

So, you have my comments and UI functionality requests which are presumably now legitimised by the fact that I am unwittingly no longer random and anonymous. I hope that you consider them objectively and realise the improved UI by making the app more like the 'quickstarter' available on Win/Linux.

Len

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Anonymous wrote:
this version does NOT have the command-key mappings appropriate for OS X.

Are you using Apple X11 on Panther or one of the XFrees?

Yes, Apple X11 on 10.3.4.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3