Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Data source to spreadsheet
Data source to spreadsheet

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Data source to spreadsheet

In OpenOffice, I can drag the data from a data source into a Calc spreadsheet. I don't seem to be able to do this in NeoOffice/J. I am also unable to get Data>Data Pilot to work. I get an error every time.

Is there a way to move data from a data source to a spreadsheet?

Thanks,
Scott
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject:

Can you list out the steps that you are doing? I am able to create a table of data from a data source using the Data -> Data Source ->Start menu. Dragging items from one window to a different window will not work because "drag-and-drop" is one of the two OOo features that have not yet been implemented in NeoJ. However, dragging within a window (like dragging field names onto the Layout area in the DataPilot dialog) does work.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you list out the steps that you are doing? I am able to create a table of data from a data source using the Data -> Data Source ->Start menu.

I'm happy to. Thank you for helping.

1. I launch NeoOffice/J
- I have data sources set up already. JDBC to MySQL, tables and queries. All are read only and data shows up fine if I select them in the Data Source view.

2. File > New > Spreadsheet to create a new spreadsheet

3. View > Data Sources to show the data sources

4. Data > DataPilot > Start

5. Select "Data source registered in NeoOffice/J" and click OK

6. Select the database, enter password when prompted by dialog

7. Set Type to "Query" and select the query I want from "Data Source" ( I get the same results if I just choose a table from the list.) Click OK.

8. Data Pilot window comes up.

9. Drag some fields onto Columns area. Select " - new sheet - " as Results destination (Results to: ). Click OK

10. Error message: "Error creating the Data Pilot Table."

A new sheet is created, but nothing is copied to the spreadsheet. Is there anywhere else to look for an error explanation?

Thanks again,
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: follow up

After I posted, I tried connecting to a MySQL DB on my own computer, rather than on the server. It works okay, though it's formatting ints and doubles as dates for some reason...

But that's okay - it got the data. That's the important part. Any clue what to look for as far as important differences between my local MySQL and the server MySQL. I do have write/full access to the local DB, but not to the server DBs. Could that make a difference?

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: More experiments

More experiments, more frustration.

I can't drag things into the Columns area and not expect an error or a crash.

I can, however, drag fields into the Rows area and they come out as columns (?!). Good. There are some horrible formatting problems and a lot of repeated data is inconveniently blanked out, but it looks like it's mostly there. Except that I can only get 8 fields into the Rows area. No more.

I'm sorry if I sound short, but I'm really frustrated right now. Is there no way to simply move data from a data source into a spreadsheet?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, NeoJ is tested by volunteers and, as a result, the database connectivity is one of the least-tested features of NeoJ (hence the reason I put the "...NeoOffice/J is intended for software engineers and is not yet complete enough for regular users." disclaimer on the NeoJ website). Also, the OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 database connectivity code (which NeoJ uses without modification) was known to have lots of bugs. So, I am not surprised that there are problems in this area.

I suspect that you have enountered a real bug. One question that I have is that you say it works in OpenOffice.org. Which OpenOffice.org are you talking about, 1.0.3 or 1.1? If it works in OOo 1.0.3, then that tells me the bug is located in my NeoJ custom code but if you are using OOo 1.1, then a fix may not be feasible until I get the spare time to move NeoJ to the OOo 1.1 codebase.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Unfortunately, NeoJ is tested by volunteers and, as a result, the database connectivity is one of the least-tested features of NeoJ (hence the reason I put the "...NeoOffice/J is intended for software engineers and is not yet complete enough for regular users." disclaimer on the NeoJ website). Also, the OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 database connectivity code (which NeoJ uses without modification) was known to have lots of bugs. So, I am not surprised that there are problems in this area.

Oh, I understand. I think you all have done a wonderful thing. NeoOffice is wonderful, and a much more integrated experience than OO. I certainly don't mean to disparage your work - I wish I could do what you are doing.

My frustration comes from trying to help someone else who would rather be using Word or would rather I spent the time to write a web app to run every query they come up with for them. I got him to use OO, and am trying to switch him to NeoOffice/J because of his complaints about OO. And it's not working. I'm frustrated with the situation, which is mostly my own fault, not with arcane, infrequently used capabilities of software that was given to the world as a gift Smile

I (and the guy I'm 'helping') was able to drag and drop from OO data sources to a spreadsheet. We never tried the DataPilot in OO. We attempted it in NeoOffice only after realizing that the dragging wasn't available yet. It seemed like the drag and drop method would be a short cut for copying and pasting or something, and not the only way to do it. It seems like the DataPilot is really meant to do something else (whatever a Pivot Table is in Excel).

It looks like I'll need to write something for him to dump queries into csv or tab-delimited text files. It's not hard, I just really wanted to give him a tool do it himself.

Thanks again,
Scott
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Did you see the "text field bug"

I was abroad for more of two weeks so I jump into this thread quite late...

To the original poster (Scott?)

I'd like to know if you encounter the bug I reported in this thread (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=333&highlight=mysql), while connecting to your MySQL server ?

Shortly, this bug affect text fields, which are not displayed correctly, whith every version of OOo I tested (X11 or Neo/J, Mac or Linux).

If you don't, Id like to know which JDBC driver you used, which OOo version and what where your settings.

Thank you.

Max

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Did you see the "text field bug"

[quote="Max_Barel"]To the original poster (Scott?)

I'd like to know if you encounter the bug I reported in this thread (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=333&highlight=mysql), while connecting to your MySQL server ?[/quote]

Yep, I'm the same Scott from that thread. Still no luck on that issue. Just to triple-check, though, I can read VARCHAR fields without issue, but TEXT fields are garbled. I've tried all the JDBC drivers listed on the MySQL site with no luck. The same problem with all versions except the latest dev release which had connection problems. I think we've both tried all possible charsets.

Sorry,
Scott
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Too bad!

Too bad!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1