Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - copy and paste from web into columns
copy and paste from web into columns

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arvada
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: copy and paste from web into columns

When I copy a table from the web and paste it into a spreadsheet, instead of pasting rows and columns, like excel, all data is pasted into a single column.
How do I get it to past as rows and columns?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. You may need to save it to a text file and use CSV importing. There is an Edit > Paste Special option, but I don't think it does exactly what you're looking for.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject:

What browser are you copying from? I typically don't have problems with this using Camino....

There's a more convoluted way that should also work. If the page is publicly accessible (no logins, etc.), you can load it directly in NeoWriter/Web (add the "Load URL" item to your toolbar, and paste in the path to the web page); if it's not, save the page as HTML/HTML source from your browser and open the saved file in Neo. Then copy from the table into Calc.

Smokey

Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Try Edit -> Paste Special. Sometimes one of the options there helps.

An alternative is to save the webpage to your local drive and make an external link to it.

1. Click Insert -> Link to External Data
2. Click the "..." button to view a file dialog where you can select the html file you just saved (you can also type in the URL directly, if it's publicly accessible, as Sardisson said).
3. In the text area called "Available tables/ranges", you'll see entries for HTML_all, HTML_tables, and perhaps others. Select the table you want to import then click "ok". I usually try this in a blank sheet, select everything, then just cut'n'paste the table I want.
4. You then "Edit -> Links" and break the link, otherwise it will update any time the page updates

It's intended for keeping your spreadsheet in sync with a web page - but perhaps that's what you wanted in the first place?

-K
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I use Firefox as web browser and I have no problems in pasting tables, as Smokey said fot Camino.
The few time I had problems I use "paste special" -> "no formatted text" (I guess this is the english translaton for "testo non formattato" of my italian UI) as -K said.

Valter
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:

kmorris wrote:
It's intended for keeping your spreadsheet in sync with a web page - but perhaps that's what you wanted in the first place?

That's a cool tip Smile

I feel a wiki page coming on getting data from HTML tables into NeoCalc Wink

Smokey
/if only I had the time to write it right now Sad

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1