Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Windows Look and Feel - why not Macintosh?
Windows Look and Feel - why not Macintosh?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Windows Look and Feel - why not Macintosh?

Having just responded to another "yeuch! it's really ugly/so windows-y" style post once again on a Mac forum wrt OOo and Neo/J, it occurred to me that part of this is down to the use of the truly hideous "Standard" Look and Feel in the default View preferences when (probably) people would be much more comfortable with the marginally less hideous, yet much more familiar Macintosh L&F.

Wouldn't it therefore be far more sensible for both OOo and Neo/J to default to the Macintosh look on first launch? This could help retain people using both apps for the first time...

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject:

There is a Macintosh L/F? how do you change that?

-j
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject:

You can set the look-and-feel by selecting Tools -> Options -> View. Don't get too excited, however, as the Mac look-and-feel only caused buttons, etc. to look vaguely like Mac OS Classic.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Look and Feel - why not Macintosh?

JKT wrote:
Wouldn't it therefore be far more sensible for both OOo and Neo/J to default to the Macintosh look on first launch? This could help retain people using both apps for the first time...

This is a good question. It's too late to change this for NeoOffice/J 0.8.3 (the binary is already being pushed to all of the mirrors), but it may be worth considering when I move the code to the OOo 1.1 codebase.

Although I don't think that the Mac look-and-feel really changes the look that much, it does make the floating windows look better. I really hated the floating windows that look like Windows floating windows. With the Mac look and feel they have gray borders and blend in nicer. Also, buttons are rounded at the corners.

Patrick
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject:

Yep, it doesn't do all that much to make it look better, but it isn't as awful as the Standard look...

I look forward to the switch to 1.1.x - I take it from an older thread in the NO/J fora that this will require quite a lot of work on your part?

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
Joerg
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

for OOo 1.1 the selected theme is is no longer important for floating windows. It's using native system windows on each platform.
The main benefit, beside the native look, is that you can move them outside of the main application window. One drawback of OOo 1.1 is that collapsing windows are no longer supported.

CU Jörg
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Joerg wrote:
One drawback of OOo 1.1 is that collapsing windows are no longer supported.

This is only somewhat true...under Apple X11 with quartz-wm you can still minimize them into the Dock by double-clicking on their titlebar (even though the regular minimize/collapse toolbar button is inactive). It gets quite bizarre with multiple open document windows since OOo seems to try and be clever with its window positioning & visibility. For working on a single document, however, I find it to be quite helpful for restoring a semblance of the previous functionality which, incidentally, I used pervasively with OOo Smile

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject:

I just uploaded "patch-1" for NeoJ 0.8.3 at the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install

This patch will set the look and feel to "Mac" if you have not specifically chosen a look and feel in Tools -> Options -> View.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1