· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Guide of Bugzilla
Guide of Bugzilla

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Guide of Bugzilla

I translated the article into spanish (... Exclamation )
Is very "long"... but maybe we can add the way of use Shark profile into the article. I saw that Ed ask for one Shark on the support "fora"

Thanks,
the council-man-elve-wiki Roy Wink
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Guide of Bugzilla

RoyFocker wrote:
I translated the article into spanish (... Exclamation )
Is very "long"... but maybe we can add the way of use Shark profile into the article. I saw that Ed ask for one Shark on the support "fora"

Thanks,
the council-man-elve-wiki Roy Wink

What's that "Shark" ? (Sorry for my ignorance Rolling Eyes )

Jacqueline
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

I'm copying from the text of ED:

To capture a Shark profile, first you'll need to install the CHUD tools from:

ftp://ftp.apple.com:21/developer/Tool_Chest/Testing_-_Debugging/Performance_tools/CHUD_4.4.3-5.dmg

I don't believe they require the Developer tools to be installed. They also have other fun things that can amuse even non-developers (such as the ability to turn off individual processor cores or caches...always fun to play with performance).

The steps to get a Shark profile are:

1. Install CHUD tools.

2. Get Neo into its stuttering state (or the hang).

3. Launch /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Shark

The little window that appears configures what information it's going to capture. I set it to do "Time Profile" (the default), then "Process" (to isolate it to capturing only Neo), and then choose "soffice.bin" from the process popup menu on the far right.

4. Switch back to Neo then get it to start lagging (e.g. typing really long sentences or something)

5. Switch back to Shark. Click "Start". Shark will record what the application is doing for 30 seconds by default.

6. Switch back to Neo and keep typing to keep it in that lagged state as much as possible during that 30 second window. Again, much easier if it's hung.

7. Wait for Shark to finish sampling and process. This brings up a window titled "Sample 1 - Time profile of soffice.bin". Save this file and attach it to a BZ issue.

8. If you need more time than 30 seconds to get the issue to occur (or just want to give more information...it's all statistically sampled, so more is always better!), in Shark go to "Config > Show Mini Config Editor" and increase the "Time limit" edit field.
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:

I translate and add to the wiki article this little guide of use Shark that Ed give to us. I change some explanations because I want that the text be more "useful" (generical?)
You can find it here if want to add into the another languages:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Es:Gu%C3%ADa_para_Bugzilla#C.C3.B3mo_obtener_un_perfil_de_Shark

thank you very much, Ed, because I "suffer" every day that problem with the keyboard and not only become slooooooooow but change the place of accents too!
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks Rodrigo. Fr translation on my to-do list.

Jacqueline
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject:

All news status and resolutions are translated into spanish...

I don't have money to help but on this way I want to offer my little, little contribution with this project. Thank you again, Smokey, Ed and Patrick!

Off-topic: Now I will download OOo 2.1 for PC Windows in english because I have to prepare my translations using that base Very Happy Wink
wallyfab
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
All news status and resolutions are translated into spanish...

Thanks, Rodrigo.

Only one thing : Apple released an update (7 mar 2007) of CHUD tools.

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Testing_-_Debugging/Performance_tools/CHUD_4.4.4.dmg

more info :
http://developer.apple.com/tools/performance/

fb
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject:

Ray also found that the Shark version linked to isn't compatible with 10.3.9. I'll try to track down which version was last compatible but am snowshoeing this weekend and won't be able to get to it until Monday earliest Smile

In whatever editing we do, the important thing is to get across that unfortunately for some hanging or performance issues that crop up on individual machines, either *either* the Activity Monitor samples or the Shark sample may be requested...it's awesome to have stepthroughs to try and help inexperienced people navigate through the tools since neither the Shark nor the Activity Monitor processes are "one-click" Sad

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

Versiontracker claims that version 4.4.2 will run under Panther, but some disagree.

Several version of the tools can be found on Apple's FTP server. Can someone running Panther determine the latest version that will run under 10.3 ?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Several version of the tools can be found on Apple's FTP server. Can someone running Panther determine the latest version that will run under 10.3 ?

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1