Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test (OBSOLETE)
OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test (OBSOLETE)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Font installation

Alan Charlesworth wrote:
The permissions of the "/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/fonts/truetype" folder should be set to read/write, so that users may add fonts without having to change permissions.

I definitely hear you on moving fonts from a previous installation. I had thought about that but just didn't want to go about changing the scripts too drastically after having tested them.

As to the directory though, it should be installed with global read/write permissions now. It's chmodded 777 during the installation process so users can add/remove fonts without needing to "sudo".

Can you try the following command for me in a Terminal:

Code:

ls -al /Applications/OpenOffice1.1.2/share/fonts/

On my box during clean installation (e.g. any previous OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder removed) I get the following indicating it's public read/write availability:

Code:

peterlin% ls -al /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/fonts/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    3 root  admin   102 14 Jun 09:49 .
drwxr-xr-x   19 root  admin   646 14 Jun 09:49 ..
drwxrwxrwx  154 root  admin  5236 14 Jun 09:54 truetype

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: about Start OpenOffice.org

mith wrote:
Launched Start OpenOffice.org.app and it opened my old OpenOffice install. I did not find a prefpane to change the binary.

Terry, I myself only ran into this once as most of my testing was for clean installs with no previous OOo remnants left on the system. Do you have any special recommendations for users who are "upgrading" as opposed to first-time installers?

I had thought about removing the Start OpenOffice.org preferences, but after thought realized that just doing that for the user account that is installing is no good as they would need to be reset for all user accounts on the machine (or network logins for net installs, etc.)

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: soffice launch script

Found something to patch...right now the soffice script contains a "grep" line to see whether it needs to patch your .sversionrc to point to the latest version. The output of this grep needs to be redirected to /dev/null as only the return code of grep is important.

The effect is that when starting OOo from a terminal, there's a spurious "OpenOffice.org 1.1.2=file:///" line that prints to stdout before OOo itself is started.

I don't think it's a problem for Start OOo, so hopefully it's just cosmetic at this stage of the game. Anyone gotten bizarre errors after launching multiple times?

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: README on webserver

For those who want to help proof the readme, or who want to read it before downloading, I put it up on my web server:

http://www.dashboardbuddha.com/OOo/README_OOO.html

Now if only OOo had a collaborative editing feature....Twisted Evil

ed <--- thinks evil feature hacking thoughts
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test

OPENSTEP wrote:
Unfortunately we had some CD deadlines for sending things off to replication companies, so this version will be on at least some of the CDs we hand out at the WWDC booth. But it's definitely not on the servers yet and I hope we can ferret out all the remaining issues. For the mirror network, I believe we just need to get it up one to two days before we go live.

What I do not think will change between now and then is the actual OOo binary itself. Each previous "RC" installer of mine had source code built from different branches. From what I can tell, the OOo 1.1.2 fix2 is very close to, if not, blessed code. So I'm hoping that the binary of OOo itself will not change. I hope the only changes we'll need are layout, typos, and documentation. But history has always proven me wrong

I was aware that there were CD discussions going on, and I understand the need for lead-time, but I guess I was caught by surprize - I was going to produce a ReadMe for building the source code on the CD (I assume there will be source there) - I guess it is a moot point now. Crying or Very sad

Yes, I don't expect you want to go through the pain of building and qualifying a new binary.

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: about Start OpenOffice.org

OPENSTEP wrote:
mith wrote:
Launched Start OpenOffice.org.app and it opened my old OpenOffice install. I did not find a prefpane to change the binary.

Terry, I myself only ran into this once as most of my testing was for clean installs with no previous OOo remnants left on the system. Do you have any special recommendations for users who are "upgrading" as opposed to first-time installers?

I had thought about removing the Start OpenOffice.org preferences, but after thought realized that just doing that for the user account that is installing is no good as they would need to be reset for all user accounts on the machine (or network logins for net installs, etc.)

ed

Originally my plans for "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9 were more grandiose, and I was going to provide some features for people who upgrade, and one-time overrides of preferences etc, but I was under some pressure to deliver a version of "Start OpenOffice" for the Israeli version of OOo, so I dropped those features.

I too ran into the issue of upgrading and testing - "Start OpenOffice.org" worked quite well with the Tech Previews and your versions, to do the first time setup, providing you didn't already had an existing "~/.sversionrc" file. I frequently moved aside my "~./sversionrc" file, and manually added back the path to the original "~/.sversionrc" file.

The way "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9 works to launch a specific version of OOo (I believe) is : try to launch the version of OOo specified in the "Start OpenOffice.org" preferences; if there are no "Start OpenOffice.org" preferences, default to the first version of OOo specified in the "~/.sversionrc" file; if there is no "~/.sversionrc" file, or if the specified version of OOo is no longer available (moved or deleted), attempt to find the OOo installation by checking for certain OOo symlinks in the current directory and following those symlinks, and if that fails, prompt the user for the location of the OOo installation. To make a permanent choice of which OOo to launch, the user must use the "Preferences…" menu item of "Start OpenOffice.org" (and recommended to quit OOo, X11, "Start OpenOffice.org" whenever a preferences change is made).

So my recommendation for upgrading would be (for each user, unfortunately - nothing much can be done about that) :

1) Move or rename the old OOo installation temporarily.
2) Launch "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9 (from anywhere BUT the old OOo installation folder).
3) When prompted by "Start OpenOffice.org" for the OOo installation folder, point to the newly installed OOo 1.1.2 installation folder.
4) Allow the OOo 1.1.2 first time startup script to do its thing with updating/creating the "~/.sversionrc" file (except for users who already have OOo 1.1.2 TP or RC installs - as per your notes, such users will have to manually edit their "~/.sversionrc" file, or remove the file etc).
5) After OOo 1.1.2 launches, use the "Start OpenOffice.org" "Preferences…" menu item to choose OOo 1.1.2 from the popup menu in the "Preferences" dialog". Quit "Start OpenOffice.org" to make the changes permanent.
6) Optionally move back or rename the old OOo installation.

Had I realized this was a problem before releasing "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9, I probably would have covered this issue in the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation, or even changed the software somehow.

I will take this kind of feedback into consideration when I work on the next version of "Start OpenOffice.org".

Let me know if you think my recommendations above don't work, or you have a better idea.

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: README on webserver

OPENSTEP wrote:
For those who want to help proof the readme, or who want to read it before downloading, I put it up on my web server:

http://www.dashboardbuddha.com/OOo/README_OOO.html

Now if only OOo had a collaborative editing feature....Twisted Evil

Good idea to make the ReadMe available. I believe a collabrative/groupware piece for OOo is being worked on - look for something called "glow".

We could always use something like SubEthaEdit (Hydra) www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit to do collabrative editing (although I personally have had little experience with this, and I'm not sure how well it would work with HTML).

Regards, Terry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: bug in installer script

Ed -

I think there's a bug in one of the installer scripts.

Your diskimage is read-write (probably should be read-only), and AFTER running the installer, in the following path:

/Volumes/OOo\ 1.1.2\ X11/MacOSX/Install_OpenOffice.org1.1.2.app/Contents/Resources/

...there appeared three new folders named "chmod" "755" and "&&" which looks suspiciously like a shellscript gone awry. Probably some mis-quotation in a mkdir command. No idea where it may have occurred in the process, but maybe it rings a bell for you.

LL
alanc
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Font folder pernissions

My apologies, the "truetype" font folder permissions are set correctly to read/write by the GM installer -- the Tech Preview installer had set it to read-only.

That being said, the unconditional trashing of ones truetype folder with junk converted fonts is very bad behaviour by the installer.

I volunteer support of Mac OOo users at Sun, and I have to instruct them to save a copy of their truetype folder, run the installer, throw away the contents of the font folder, and then copy back their fonts.

Considering that the SO/OOo font selection drop-down menu only shows six fonts, the last thing one wants is hunderds of fonts.

However, don't let me forget to thank you for your efforts in making Mac OOo possible!

Alan Charlesworth
mith
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: about Start OpenOffice.org

sardisson wrote:
mith wrote:
My question is not about the prefpane, but rather why it launched my old OpenOffice, as if it already had the binary path and name stored somewhere and the new install inherited. Maybe that should be checked when reinstalling/upgrading?

Ed mentions this situation above:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Installing Over Previous 1.1.2 Builds

If you have installed previous versions of OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 through either the Tech Preview installers or RC1/RC2 IA installers, you will need to edit your ".sversionrc" file by hand so the path points to the newly installed OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 directory. You may also remove your .sversionrc file and OOo 1.1.2 will regenerate it on first launch. The .sversionrc file will need to be corrected for every user account under which OOo 1.1.2 has been previously run.

Start OpenOffice.org has a preference where you can select which version of OOo (as recorded in the ~/.sversionrc file) it launches...make sure Start OOo is the active app and choose its Preferences option.

However, I don't see this piece of info in the Installer dimage's README_OOO.html, so if Ed has to roll another installer (please, no!) or if the Readme can be corrected easily, this bit should be added....

Ok, so, I haven't been a diligent user and I haven't removed the file. I opened it now to check and found this:
Code:

[Versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.1.0=file:///Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/

OpenOffice.org 1.1.2=file:///Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/

Now every time I started "Start OOo" it asked me where the binary was. I picked the position, opened the prefpane of "Start OOo", told it I wanted V1.1.2 but at the next start I had to do everything again. Also I saw a white line between the 2 versions. I opened the .sversionrc file and removed the blank line. Started "Start OOo" picked the binary, picked version 1.1.2. Closed and restarted and worked.

Maybe this can get fixed in "Start OOo"?

OPENSTEP wrote:

Yes, if you already have installed OOo or if you have been good and installed everything it depends on, then nothing should appear in this list. The list may contain the following, however:

I don't know how "well" I installed OOo, it works. Wink I'm using Apple's X11, I have dlcompat from fink. What's strange, then, is that it didn't list any option to install anything that is not proper on my system.

- Mith[/quote]
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test

Terry Teague wrote:
sardisson wrote:
I've got the GM and hope to put it through some paces tonight.

But I am a little concerned that some of us are calling this the GM, finished, released version for WWDC.

Sorry, I missed the word "candidate" in there Embarassed But in my defense, the dimage was called "GM," not "GM candidate" Smile

Terry Teague wrote:
I say all this as one of the people who try to help support OOo users out there - but it gets real hard if there are multiple unknown versions of OOo, so you don't really know what you are supporting

In just my limited time around in this recent "testing" period, I have to agree. I kept seeing posts from people with some Fall 2003 1.1.x build that had all sorts of problems the TPs and RCs had long since fixed... Smile

I have a good-sized Sticky note with issues I've noted from installing and playing around with the GM candidate last night, and I'll clean it up and be back later Smile

The good news is the install(er) actually completed this time!, nothing on my list seems serious, and...whether they were fondu'd differently this time or there's been some code fixes in OOo, the Arabic kerning/letterspacing problem seems to have vanished at all point sizes for all Arabic fonts that got fondu'd automatically! (haven't added any other fonts yet) Smile Very Happy Smile Exclamation

Smokey
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: about Start OpenOffice.org

mith wrote:
Ok, so, I haven't been a diligent user and I haven't removed the file. I opened it now to check and found this:
Code:

[Versions]

Now every time I started "Start OOo" it asked me where the binary was. I picked the position, opened the prefpane of "Start OOo", told it I wanted V1.1.2 but at the next start I had to do everything again. Also I saw a white line between the 2 versions. I opened the .sversionrc file and removed the blank line. Started "Start OOo" picked the binary, picked version 1.1.2. Closed and restarted and worked.

Maybe this can get fixed in "Start OOo"?

Unfortunately this is a known bug in "Start OpenOffice.org" - I have known about it for a while, and I started to fix it in v1.0b9, but changed my mind to concentrate on higher priority items. Specifically in my case where I discovered the problem, I had edited the "~/.sversionrc" file manually with some text editor, and I ended up with a mix of <cr> and <lf> line endings, giving the appearance of a blank line in some situations. I thought the fix was going to be simple, but it started looking more tricky the more I looked at it.

The blank lines in the "~/.sversionrc" file shouldn't occur in normal circumstances, so I believe the risk to most users is low - the problem usually comes about because someone/some script has modified the file incorrectly.

Still, I will try to fix the problem for the next version of "Start OpenOffice.org".

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test

Terry Teague wrote:
the need for lead-time, but I guess I was caught by surprize - I was going to produce a ReadMe for building the source code on the CD (I assume there will be source there) - I guess it is a moot point now. Crying or Very sad

Oh...we're actually putting together two CDs. One has OOo 1.1.2 and NeoOffice/J binaries. The second one will be a source CD with the tarball, instructions, required OSS tools, and perhaps the ODK. More then enough time for that Smile I'll get you in touch with Colin and Kevin...they're heading up the source CD effort. My head was under a rock working on the installer and drinking wine, in that order IIRC... Shocked

I think if we want to get it duplicated professionally the deadline for that source CD is Friday, but I was planing to also burn at the booth and, depending on how fragile the airport network is there this year, set up a share for folks to download right away!

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: about Start OpenOffice.org

Terry Teague wrote:
So my recommendation for upgrading would be (for each user, unfortunately - nothing much can be done about that) :

Had I realized this was a problem before releasing "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9, I probably would have covered this issue in the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation, or even changed the software somehow.

That's along the lines of what I could think of myself. I really can't think of any easy solution to the problem. OOo, the .sversionrcs, and Preferences files in general on OS X tend to be per-user account specific without any good way to do "system wide" changes, especially for tricky situations like networked user accounts and other badness.

How about if I go ahead and include this series of steps in the README file? I'm planning on putting the README file online, and hopefully a Support FAQ by the time we get it onto the regular OOo site. Head the deluge off at the pass kind of a thing Wink

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: about Start OpenOffice.org

mith wrote:
Code:

[Versions]

Wonk. This is another problem that arises from the way the multiuser scripts auto-create sversionrc. When I create it anew, I add a newline to the end of the file. I should be sure to "chomp" it off before I append the new 1.1.2 entry.

Thanks for finding that!

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4