· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate 2 for Test
OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate 2 for Test

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate 2 for Test

Over the past week or so many user have given great feedback on the GM candidate...enough to warrant putting together a new installer. The OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate 2 installer is now available for download and testing.

If you are only an end-user and not a tester, there were no changes to the OpenOffice.org program since the previous 1.1.2 GM installer. The changes were documentation and installer fixes (see below).

Note: This is still a candidate installer posted for testing purposes. We may still need to fix further errors before we are comfortable enough to declare this installer "final" quality.

Downloading

Filename : ooo112_osx_gm.dmg.bz2
Size : 155 MB

MD5 Sum : cb3d8001c0c9d038f5d36510505d7279

FTP : ftp://ftp.neooffice.org/ooo112_osx_gm.dmg.bz2

BitTorrent : http://trinity.neooffice.org/torrents/ooo112_osx_gm.dmg.bz2.torrent

Remember, there is a 2 user limit on anonymous FTP. You will probably get better bandwidth by using BitTorrent then FTP.

Changes since GM Candidate 1

- Updated README with corrections, additional installation notes, and upgrade notes.
    - Fix to prevent blank lines from being inserted accidentally into .sversionrc files
    - Corrections to libdl symlinking code in installer to create /usr/local/lib links on Panther
    - Font conversion now accepts fonts in ~/Library/Fonts
    - Font conversion now rejects 0 length fonts during conversion process
    - Font conversion now preserves any additional TrueType files from an existing OOo 1.0.3 installation (only if install is in /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3)
    - Name change in installer file, darwin -> osx
    - Removal of ".DS_Store" files from dimage
    - Removal of spurious echo line from .sversionrc version check for Terminal launching

Installing over Previous 1.1.2 Builds

If you have installed previous versions of OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 through either the Tech Preview installers or RC1/RC2 IA installers, you will need to edit your ".sversionrc" file by hand so the path points to the newly installed OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 directory. You may also remove your .sversionrc file and OOo 1.1.2 will regenerate it on first launch. The .sversionrc file will need to be corrected for every user account under which OOo 1.1.2 has been previously run.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Note that the apparent spaces in the filenames of the URLs above are underscores, not spaces. The underscore is overdrawn by the link underline in Safari for me.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Bug in README_OOO

There appears to be an unterminated list item/unordered list int eh manual launch instructinos section of the README. As far as I'm concerned, if that's the only problem it's not worth rolling a new instaler since the content still appears Smile

ed <--- remembers why his favorite HTML editor is *not* emacs Wink
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Opening Corrupted Files

Confusing text bug: when attempting to open a Word file that is corrupted, the error message indicates it has an "Incorrect file format" instead of indicating it's corrupted.

ed
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: README notes

Clarification: "If you are upgrading from OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 and no longer need your previous version, please uninstall OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 immediately after installing 1.1.2. " -- maybe add "That's right, AFTER." because I had to read it three times to make sure I had that right. (Usually they tell you to remove all other installs BEFORE you install the new version).

Suggestion: "Mac OS X font, imaging, and user experience"> "Mac OS X font, imaging, and/or user experience" -- just because "and/or" is, well, better.

Typo: "selecdt"

Typo: "direcotry"

Suggestion: "as well as the .sversionrc file for each user account. " -- maybe bold the file name and give instructions as to where this file might be located?

Suggestion: "(accessed by choosing the Start OpenOffice.org > Preferences... menu item)." Maybe bold the menu item and file names and change to "Accessed by choosing the Preferences menu item in Start OpenOffice.org" (if that's right.. I'm a bit confused although I could probably figure it out. Maybe just spell it out like-- "To do this, launch Start OpenOffice.org and choose Preferences under the Edit menu item." --- or something like that)

Suggestion: "you should be sure to retain" Eliminate "you should"

Suggestion: "you will need to manually uninstall OpenOffice.org 1.1.x" Eliminate "you will need to"

Suggestion: Under starting OOo manually, maybe you want to take advantage of html and put it in a box-- green on black, with the courier font-- to suggest a terminal session.. (maybe this a dumb suggestion, but whatever...)

Question: When entering these shell commands, do you need to be in a particular directory (like one where the soffice file is located)?

Typo: Close the itemized list that you mentioned before...

Finally, I'd put the Upgrading section ABOVE the known limitations section...

Looks good overall.

W
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Question: When entering these shell commands, do you need to be in a particular directory (like one where the soffice file is located)?

Ahhh.. I am an idiot.

W

PS-- Can I blame emacs too? Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject:

Oh, it's not been a fun night Sad The GM candidate 2 installer is back to crashing without fail just like the old ones (during the configuring installer/OOo for MacOS X (X11) logo progress bar screen). Unlike with the RC2 installer, however, I couldn't log out and in again and get it to work; I had to fall back to the 1.1.1fix3 installer method of installing as my alternate (testing/non-admin) user, which basically means I'm not sure how valid my comments on the installaton process will be.

Crash log http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/Install_OOo112_gmcand2.txt if you want to have a look, but I'm sure it's the same as before (although why I had no problems with the GM candidate 1 installer puzzles me) ZeroG...!Evil or Very Mad

I have a few more suggestions/comments about the readme, too, but at this point I'm too tired and angry at ZeroG Evil or Very Mad It's too bad Apple's PackageMaker won't do this sophisticated stuff Sad

Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Ok, just a few items, essentially minor.

1-The Readme.rtf in the Third-Party Source folder, typo: "incorportatedinto"

2-I've taken the liberty (please forgive) of making a few edits/additions/changes to the main Readme (most significant being the grouping of all the font-related known limitations); I incorporated a couple of Waldo's suggestions but didn't understand/couldn't follow all of them Sad (...still very tired)

I did this editing via Track Changes (it's not SubEthaEdit but's the next best thing?) so any and everyone can see and Ed can accept/reject if he so desires (and then save back to html, which OOo does quite nicely): http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/README_OOO.html.sxw

3-I wonder if there needs to be a brief "Known Issues: Installer" section mentioning the "Finishing installation" and "Converting fonts" take a long time after the progress bar appears to be (almost) complete and to please allow some time for these to complete (i.e., the installer is not hung).

3a-I'm still not getting descriptive text for the option(s) on "Check Dependencies" screen Smile

Here on out, take with a grain of salt since I had to run the installer as my non-admin/testing user and I don't know what that might have affected....

OPENSTEP wrote:
- Font conversion now preserves any additional TrueType files from an existing OOo 1.0.3 installation (only if install is in /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3)

4-I couldn't tell if this happened or not; it appeared all my fonts were re-fondu'd (had last night's date)

README_OOO.html wrote:
By delaying uninstallation of the previous version until after installing 1.1.2, you will be able to retain any fonts and settings from that version.

5-The Upgrading section of the Readme implies that the Installer will copy/move OOo103 fonts/settings. The font part is mentioned explicitly in Ed's intro to this installer on (the top quote above) but the expected behavior regarding settings is not mentioned. In my case, 1.0.3 settings were not "transferred" in any way. I was able to use my old 1.1.2 GM cand 1 settings by replacing my ~/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/ folder with the (moved) one from GMcand1 *AFTER* the first run of 1.1.2 (which always seems to wipe existing settings). So this little part of the Readme might need some more work, depending on what the expected behavior is.

6-The installer did not update the .sversionrc file for either of my users (the test user's had only 1.0.3; mine I edited manually to have only the 1.0.3 entry). Renaming the 1.0.3 install folder, as the Readme mentioned, did force Start OOo to create the necessary entry, though (still had to switch the default version later in the prefs, but nice little trick, Terry!)

7-UK still in the default prefs, but that's because the OOo binary is unchanged, right?

Hope this still helps and I haven't stepped on toes...

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Crash log http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/Install_OOo112_gmcand2.txt if you want to have a look, but I'm sure it's the same as before (although why I had no problems with the GM candidate 1 installer puzzles me) ZeroG...!Evil or Very Mad

Well, it's one of those things where it's crashing inside of the VM, so as far as ZeroG's concerned it seems more like a bug in apple's VM and not in their own code. This happens a lot with Java apps. I have to admit that I'm guilty of it too...I find a bug in the VM and then go to the SQA team at my company "we can't fix it, so let's report it to Apple and wait for them to fix it". Patrick's one of the most determined people I know who tries to find workaroudns for Neo/J Smile

I'm hoping to have Kevin's installer as a backup and straight X11 tarballs as well for anyone who encounters these problems.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
PS-- Can I blame emacs too? Wink

Feel free Smile

I'm probably going to go ahead and work on those README changes. Question...do you think the README edits are enough to warrant doing a new installer build, or should we just incorporate those into the online README notes posted on the OOo website?

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject:

(again on README edits...see above post. Should we roll a full new installer or just incorporate them into the online version? Thus far there seem to be no changes needed in supporting scripts for the installer itself...)

sardisson wrote:
3a-I'm still not getting descriptive text for the option(s) on "Check Dependencies" screen :

I did look into this, and it seems that the text only shows up half of the time and only if you click on the checkbox title directly and not at the bottom of the list. I'm not quite sure exactly under which situations it appears or doesn't but I have seen it appear. Another minor ZeroG issue *shrug*.

sardisson wrote:
4-I couldn't tell if this happened or not; it appeared all my fonts were re-fondu'd (had last night's date)

OK, specifically what it does is the following:

- refondu's all your fonts like previous installations
- searches through the 1.0.3 share/fonts/truetype folder for any .ttf files that are not contained in the resulting set of refondu'd converted fonts. moves those ttf files into the 1.1.2 font folder.

So yes, it still does the conversion all the time, but now it should preserve non-Mac fonts that were added into the fonts folder (Alan raised that issue).

sardisson wrote:
So this little part of the Readme might need some more work, depending on what the expected behavior is.

Yup, it doesn't attempt to do anything clever with settings either.

sardisson wrote:

6-The installer did not update the .sversionrc file for either of my users

.sversionrc is updated on first launch, not by the installer. Problem is that the installer can't go through everyone's users directory and fix everything up...we just punted on that since there are a number of cases to consider (network home directories, network installs with local user home directories, etc.). It's a bit too much to chew Sad

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
(again on README edits...see above post. Should we roll a full new installer or just incorporate them into the online version? Thus far there seem to be no changes needed in supporting scripts for the installer itself...)

I don't want to "make" you rebuild the installer just for Readme edits, but I would feel better about the updated readme being online and not in the installer if the current readme had had a note that said "check here for the updated readme and latest gotchas."

(I'm completely ignorant of the IA installer, but I noticed the Readme is just inside a .zip file with everything else...can you not just replace that file?)

That having been said, I don't feel there were any critical changes so far suggested, just potential misunderstandings and typos and attempts to make it sound better, so given the situation, we're probably safe (and I think, despite the rest of us, you and Terry still answer the lion's share of the questions here, so I can punt my opinion)....

OPENSTEP wrote:
sardisson wrote:
3a-I'm still not getting descriptive text for the option(s) on "Check Dependencies" screen :

I did look into this, and it seems that the text only shows up half of the time and only if you click on the checkbox title directly and not at the bottom of the list. I'm not quite sure exactly under which situations it appears or doesn't but I have seen it appear. Another minor ZeroG issue *shrug*.

Just wanted to verify that you looked into it Smile I tried clicking on the checkbox title, too--a number of times, and last night it just never showed Smile

OPENSTEP wrote:
sardisson wrote:

6-The installer did not update the .sversionrc file for either of my users

.sversionrc is updated on first launch, not by the installer. Problem is that the installer can't go through everyone's users directory and fix everything up...we just punted on that since there are a number of cases to consider (network home directories, network installs with local user home directories, etc.). It's a bit too much to chew Sad

ed

I absolutely understand. Thanks for explaining the expected behavior for that and for the "upgrading 1.0.3 fonts and settings" part.

Oh, if the "upgrading the fonts" re-fondus and then adds any additional ones from 1.0.3, why the suggestion to replace the new fonts folder with a preserved old one? Is that a 1.1.2TP/RC-only suggestion (it doesn't read that way to me, given it has an equivalent heading to the upgrading from 1.1.2 heading) or another "special situations" case?

Smokey
(hoping Ed does not chase after me....)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
being online and not in the installer if the current readme had had a note that said "check here for the updated readme and latest gotchas."

What will happen is that we'll have the readme file as a large link above the Downloads table on the OOo site Smile

sardisson wrote:

(I'm completely ignorant of the IA installer, but I noticed the Readme is just inside a .zip file with everything else...can you not just replace that file?)

Oh, the delay isn't in building the installer, but in packaging, smoke testing it, and uploading it to california for distribution to testers. All of that takes about an entire day, but I think I need to get it up to stardiv by Friday if it's to be official Shocked.

That said, it is embarassing to be releasing an installer with spelling changes and the like, but I hate uploading an installer that no one else has looked at...

sardisson wrote:

Oh, if the "upgrading the fonts" re-fondus and then adds any additional ones from 1.0.3, why the suggestion to replace the new fonts folder with a preserved old one?

This was actually from one of Alan's suggestions on the Candidate 1 thread. He noted that some users configure their font folders specially, for instance to match their available fonts on other platforms if they are cross platform users. Thus the addition for how to preserve customizations to fonts.

ed
alanc
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject:

[quote="sardisson"]
OPENSTEP wrote:

Oh, if the "upgrading the fonts" re-fondus and then adds any additional ones from 1.0.3, why the suggestion to replace the new fonts folder with a preserved old one? Is that a 1.1.2TP/RC-only suggestion (it doesn't read that way to me, given it has an equivalent heading to the upgrading from 1.1.2 heading) or another "special situations" case?

Smokey

I am guilty of that suggestion. To interoperate with other Star Office users at Sun, it is our best practice to use only Sun Corporate fonts and the fonts that come with Star Office. A user in this situation doesn't want any Mac fonts converted, and the manditaory fondu-ing fills the OOo font folder with unwanted fonts. Hence my suggestion to save the old OOo font folder is a workaround to being unable to disable the installer's font conversion. Maybe a future version of the installer will provide the option to disable the font conversion when it isn't wanted. Also, the conversion takes a long time for some users, and makes them think that the installation has hung
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
What will happen is that we'll have the readme file as a large link above the Downloads table on the OOo site Smile

Sounds good! Very Happy

sardisson wrote:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Oh, the delay isn't in building the installer, but in packaging, smoke testing it, and uploading it to california for distribution to testers. All of that takes about an entire day,

...just to make sure that changing one file didn't somehow "magically" mess up anything else...software has a habit of doing that, doesn't it...gotcha.

OPENSTEP wrote:
but I think I need to get it up to stardiv by Friday if it's to be official Shocked.

That'd be cool if OS X came out at the same time as the other platforms Smile

[...]

OPENSTEP wrote:
This was actually from one of Alan's suggestions on the Candidate 1 thread. He noted that some users configure their font folders specially, for instance to match their available fonts on other platforms if they are cross platform users. Thus the addition for how to preserve customizations to fonts.

Got it now, Ed and Alan. Then that section whould make sense to those users and likely won't confuse people who aren't looking for problems in the Readme Very Happy

Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2